2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Important information for users with nVidia graphics cards, Drivers (version 190.38 & 190.62) cause significant problem

johnnie
post Aug 12 2009, 4:49 PM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 167

EDIT: This issue has been fixed by the NVIDIA 190.57 beta drivers. See later posts in this thread for a link.

During our regular QA testing recently, we've found significant problems when running Moviestorm using a specific set of nVidia graphics drivers: version 190.38. These drivers were released on July 21st 2009 and are the most current nVidia drivers at the time of writing (August 2009).

Edit - The latest drivers (24th August 2009) exhibit similar problems. See link at bottom of post for more details.

We strongly recommend against upgrading your drivers to version 190.38.
We strongly recommend against upgrading your drivers to version 190.62.

Problems caused by use of these drivers include:
  • Character models deforming and warping during scene playback
  • Particle emitters (fireplaces, special effects, etc) not working at all
  • Terrain bowl around the set displaying as black
These problems seem to particularly affect graphics cards in the nVidia 8 series, but may also affect 7-series and 9-series cards. Disabling "hardware skinning" in Moviestorm's graphics settings tab can partially, but not completely, alleviate these problems.

I'll try to keep you all updated with any further news (you might want to bookmark this thread) but for the time being, avoid these drivers if you possibly can. If you're looking for previously-released nVidia drivers, nVidia keep an archive of old drivers here.

More information about the 190.38 release on nVidia's forums.

--------------------
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
iceaxe
post Aug 12 2009, 8:01 PM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,592

At last you've implemented the option to get rid of the mountains! Great news... updating now... rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BA
post Aug 12 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 995

Thank heavens I am still using driver 162.18

Why update when it works for me. In my experience with updates they can cause as many problems as they solve. I do not know of any serious software engineer that has windows automatic updates turned on, for that reason as my noVidio driver works, why update it every time they reissue ?

PS: get rid of the mountains by default.

--------------------
Matt and Dave Review our last film "Faith Hope and Charity". http://blackaceproduction.com/Downloads/Various/Review.wma

+Quote Post
davidwww
post Aug 13 2009, 2:44 AM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 388

Bugger, bugger, bugger bum and bugger angry.gif its so bloody typical, I download the new Batman Arkham Asylum demo last night and it required the latest drivers to run, so what did I do I installed the new drivers and the demo ran like a dream and then this morning I go to work on my movie (yes I am still plodding away at making one) and this is what happened and then I find the post about not using them Arrrrrrgh!

Regards
David

He goes to pieces la la la

--------------------

Moviestorm still Number One

+Quote Post
tree
post Aug 13 2009, 6:23 AM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 963

QUOTE (davidwww @ Aug 13 2009, 12:44 PM) *
Bugger, bugger, bugger bum and bugger angry.gif its so bloody typical, I download the new Batman Arkham Asylum demo last night and it required the latest drivers to run, so what did I do I installed the new drivers and the demo ran like a dream and then this morning I go to work on my movie (yes I am still plodding away at making one) and this is what happened and then I find the post about not using them Arrrrrrgh!

Regards
David

He goes to pieces la la la

Oh that's a bother! Good luck on the "roll back"

--------------------

+Quote Post
johnnie
post Aug 13 2009, 9:17 AM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (iceaxe @ Aug 12 2009, 08:01 PM) *
At last you've implemented the option to get rid of the mountains! Great news... updating now... rolleyes.gif

Hehe ... nicely done, sir. Nicely done.

@davidwww - Yep, I'm afraid that's exactly the sort of symptoms we've been seeing. Sorry this post didn't catch you in time sad.gif If you take a look at the nVidia forums, you'll see that we're far from the only ones having problems with 190.38, so hopefully nVidia will ship an update soon. In the meantime, rolling back your drivers to the previous version should be a fairly painless process (although it might mean no Batman demo!).

--------------------
Johnnie Ingram

+Quote Post
davidwww
post Aug 13 2009, 3:18 PM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 388

With fear in my heart, I boldly rolled back my graphics drivers, closing my eyes so as not to see the on coming disaster, I waited and I waited, finally the suspense was to much and my eyes opened onto, a perfectly working system that for some reason even allowed me to still kick ass in the Batman demo, boy what an anti climatic event. laugh.gif
johnnie is it possible to maybe send out a mass email with a warning to all users when a major problem occurs, this one didn't turn out to be that much of one for me, but in the past I have had problems rolling back drivers.

Regards
David

--------------------

Moviestorm still Number One

+Quote Post
johnnie
post Aug 13 2009, 4:35 PM
Post #8

Master Director
Group Icon

Glad to hear it all went well David.

QUOTE (davidwww @ Aug 13 2009, 03:18 PM) *
johnnie is it possible to maybe send out a mass email with a warning to all users when a major problem occurs, this one didn't turn out to be that much of one for me, but in the past I have had problems rolling back drivers.

Good idea. I've updated the Message Of The Day (the page that appears when you start Moviestorm) to give details of the problem.

--------------------
Johnnie Ingram

+Quote Post
barthold
post Aug 25 2009, 8:01 PM
Post #9

Moviegoer

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,904

QUOTE (johnnie @ Aug 12 2009, 04:49 PM) *
During our regular QA testing recently, we've found significant problems when running Moviestorm using a specific set of nVidia graphics drivers: version 190.38. These drivers were released on July 21st 2009 and are the most current nVidia drivers at the time of writing (August 2009).

Edit - The latest drivers (24th August 2009) exhibit similar problems. See link at bottom of post for more details.

All,

Last week I became aware of this bug in our OpenGL drivers. We found and fixed the bug, and provided the fix in the 190.57 beta driver build which was released today. You can find that driver here (driver download is a the bottom of the page):

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_3_driver.html

Unfortunately we didn't get the fix done in time for the 190.62 released driver. But this fix will be in the next full Rel 190 driver release.

Please give 190.57 a try and let me know if it fixes this issue.

Regards,
Barthold
NVIDIA OpenGL driver manager

+Quote Post
Moviestorm
post Aug 25 2009, 8:07 PM
Post #10

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 658

QUOTE (barthold @ Aug 25 2009, 08:01 PM) *

Thanks, Barthold, we'll check it out.

--------------------
The Moviestorm Team

+Quote Post
amostest
post Aug 26 2009, 9:49 AM
Post #11

Wannabe film-maker
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE (barthold @ Aug 25 2009, 08:01 PM) *

Thank you Barthold, the new drivers have resolved the issues so I have made an announcement in the main forum. Thanks again!

+Quote Post
tree
post Sep 1 2009, 1:51 PM
Post #12

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 963

Regarding Nvida Notebooks
The beta drivers mentioned above aren't made for Notebooks.
There is standard XP nVidia notebook driver released on the August 27th but is incompatible with moviestorm on my system (8600....) The 7Th of May version works well with MS but no video playing on props.

The "no video playing on props" problem maybe nothing to do with nVida and maybe a problem in the latest version of MS--- not sure yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
barthold
post Oct 6 2009, 4:10 PM
Post #13

Moviegoer

All,

The fix for this issue should be in release drivers 191.07 that we just put out. It would be great if someone can confirm that these drivers work. You can download them here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Thanks!
Barthold

+Quote Post
amostest
post Oct 6 2009, 4:34 PM
Post #14

Wannabe film-maker
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE (barthold @ Oct 6 2009, 04:10 PM) *
All,

The fix for this issue should be in release drivers 191.07 that we just put out. It would be great if someone can confirm that these drivers work. You can download them here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Thanks!
Barthold

Hi Barthold,
We have looked at the new 191.07 drivers quite extensively here on multiple cards and they seem to be fine.
I put a quick post on the other forum here, and am also interested to hear how people get on with them.
Cheers,
Amos

+Quote Post
barthold
post Oct 8 2009, 4:58 PM
Post #15

Moviegoer

QUOTE (amostest @ Oct 6 2009, 04:34 PM) *
Hi Barthold,
We have looked at the new 191.07 drivers quite extensively here on multiple cards and they seem to be fine.
I put a quick post on the other forum here, and am also interested to hear how people get on with them.
Cheers,
Amos

Excellent, glad to hear!

Barthold

+Quote Post
EugeneE
post Nov 30 2009, 9:32 PM
Post #16

Master Director

Member No.: 955

I tried to run Moviestorm 1.2 early today but it crashed with an error about my Nvidia card. About 2 weeks ago, I upgraded from a 512 MB Nvidia card to a 1 GB PNY XLR8 GeForceĀ® 9800 GT (Nvidia) card.

Well, It turns out that the drivers for my Nvidia card were old, so I upgraded to version 195.62 Nvidia drivers and that stopped Moviestorm 1.2 from crashing.

+Quote Post
abp2009
post Jan 28 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #17

Moviegoer

Member No.: 7,179

I have an ATI. What's the deal with that?

+Quote Post
Armanus
post Jan 29 2010, 1:20 AM
Post #18

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,721

FYI

I just updated my nVidia drivers to version 196.21, and so far no issues with MS.

I'm running a 7600 GT card on XP.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ptn
post Feb 14 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #19

Wannabe film-maker

Member No.: 7,815

I am running a MacBook Pro - Snow Leopard, 2.53 GHz Intel Core Duo with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. Would this have something to do with my inability to rotate an object in both workshop and director's view?

ptn

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Feb 14 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #20

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

Hi ptn, have you got your mouse set to use 2 keys?

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: