Assignment: Buy This Book!
Create a commercial for a book, and try to persuade people to buy it. It could be a set text, or it could be a book the student has read. Some students may want to use this to promote their own work.
Do this as a book trailer, short commercial, or longer form.
Put extracts from the book as text on screen, or have them read aloud.
Do an interview with the author, or have the author talk about the book.
Do a group chat session with people talking about the book and why they liked it; however, remember that the aim is to get people to buy (or read) the book, not create a book report.
Add in pictures of the author, and reconstructed scenes from the book.
For teachers: benefits to students
- The student has to demonstrate a clear understanding of the book and its popular appeal. This requires a different approach to literary appreciation.
- It offers students a chance to approach set texts in a fun way.
- This requires an understanding of the commercial side of literature and publishing.
- This will be particularly useful to students interested in self-publishing and promoting their own work.
- Creating a multimedia presentation helps develop presentational skills and requires the student to consider what information is best presented using the different media: spoken, written, or visual.
- Ages 14+
- Suitable for solo or group work
Permission is granted to download, copy, and redistribute this page.
More lesson ideas