Assignment: Career advice
Create a promotional or informational video about working in a particular field of science.
Explain what the job role involves, what qualifications are necessary, explain the career path, what the rewards are, and encourage fellow students to investigate that as a career choice. The same methodology can be used for almost any other potential career.
This can be presented as an informational documentary-style film or as a lecture-style presentation. Add in interviews with people working in that profession, either in a studio context, or as an "in the field" reportage style interview. Intersperse the presentation with still images and video if appropriate. Video can be sourced externally or created with Moviestorm.
For teachers: benefits to students
- This encourages students to think of taking up a career in science, and gets them to think about the practical and commercial sides of science.
- The student has to research the career in depth, and understand it sufficiently to be able to articulate why it is interesting and the pathway to it.
- Adding multimedia content enables the student to approach the subject in a richer way than just using written text and still images.
- Helps schools advise students on their career choices: these can combine into a useful resource for other students.
- Ages 16+
- Suitable for solo work
- Can be used for most subjects
Permission is granted to download, copy, and redistribute this page.
More lesson ideas