• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Avery Tingle

Avery Tingle

Film Critic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:43 AM

You guys must think I'm spamming, but I'm never gonna learn unless I ask...

Is it possible to wrap your own textures around the existing props and models available here? For example, if I want a laptop to be white instead of black, can I do that?

#2 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:04 AM

At this point you cannot use your own textures for objects. I've heard of hacking textures of objects but you will have to export them to a more suitable format that a 2D program can edit.

You can at least recolour some objects. The laptop available within the Bedroom Blog pack has a tintable small notebook computer in which you can recolor to any color you'd like.

Oh, and you're absolutely NOT spamming - as long as you ask us something about Moviestorm. Bugs, glitches, any kinds of queries are always welcome.
[witty signature pending]

#3 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:28 AM

(Avery Tingle)
Is it possible to wrap your own textures around the existing props and models available here? For example, if I want a laptop to be white instead of black, can I do that?

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: It will be easier once the Modder's Workshop is deemed ready for prime time and opened up to all. But absent the Workshop, you can replace the existing texture files with modified verions. With a select few exceptions (and those dating back mostly to the earliest betas), Moviestorm textures are .dds files; NVIDIA has a set of texture tools for handling .dds here. Back up your original files (I repeat: back up your original files) before attempting such a mod (or any mod, really). Then, for simple re-texturing, open a copy of the texture file, modify it to suit you, and save it as .dds, under the original filename.

There are three types of texture files to a Moviestorm asset:
1. *_Diff.dds - These are the diffuse maps, the basic color/image texture. For simple, basic re-coloring, this is the only one you want to touch.
2. *_Norm.dds - Normal maps. Similar to bump or displacement maps, these add the illusion of surface detail to an object.
3. *_Spec.dds - Specular maps. Simulate specular highlighting, to define a surface's shininess and highlight color.
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#4 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:24 AM

(equinoxx)
(Avery Tingle)

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: It will be easier once the Modder's Workshop is deemed ready for prime time and opened up to all. But absent the Workshop, you can replace the existing texture files with modified verions. With a select few exceptions (and those dating back mostly to the earliest betas), Moviestorm textures are .dds files; NVIDIA has a set of texture tools for handling .dds here. Back up your original files (I repeat: back up your original files) before attempting such a mod (or any mod, really). Then, for simple re-texturing, open a copy of the texture file, modify it to suit you, and save it as .dds, under the original filename.

There are three types of texture files to a Moviestorm asset:
1. *_Diff.dds - These are the diffuse maps, the basic color/image texture. For simple, basic re-coloring, this is the only one you want to touch.
2. *_Norm.dds - Normal maps. Similar to bump or displacement maps, these add the illusion of surface detail to an object.
3. *_Spec.dds - Specular maps. Simulate specular highlighting, to define a surface's shininess and highlight color.

Wait a minute - does the Nvidia trademark signify that I will not be able to edit textures using my ATI Radeon 9600?

Or maybe these plug-ins a made for all brands of graphics cards?
[witty signature pending]

#5 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:04 PM

They should work fine with your ATI card.

.dds (DirectDraw Surface) is actually a Microsoft-developed format; part of DirectX. NVIDIA simply published some plugins and file viewers for working with the format. ATI developed an app called The Compressonator, which will convert images to .dds (apparently, id Software used it to create textures for Doom 3), but the NVIDIA toolset seems to be more widely used.
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#6 forgeuk

forgeuk

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

As a follow up question, can we replace existing textures only, and not add our own to the available ones?

For example, I made a copy of Wall_Bricks03.jpg and dropped it in the same folder as Wall_Bricks04.jpg(with some graffiti on it)

then edited the Materials.materials XML file and added the following into the structure:
<material>
<name>ScottsTest</name>
<ambientColor>1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0</ambientColor>
<diffuseColor>1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0</diffuseColor>
<emissiveColor>0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0</emissiveColor>
<specularColor>0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0</specularColor>
<shininess>12.0</shininess>
<maps>
<entry>
<string>diffuseMap</string>
<string>Data/Materials/Wall/Wall_Bricks04.jpg</string>
</entry>
</maps>
<flags>
<string>TINTABLE</string>
</flags>
<parameters/>
</material>

It shows up in MS, but as "broken" :-(
But if I replace the image instead, it works fine.

Cheers for any info.

Scott Hather

#7 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:10 PM

I suspect that what you have not done, forgeuk, is publish your addon after adding your new file.

Moviestorm has a whitelist of files, created when an addon is published, which says which files are in the addon. Any other files not in the whitelist are treated as though they are not there.

So if you just drop in a new texture, and change the Material.materials file to reference it, moviestorm isnt going to find it, as it isnt in the white list.

The problem is that you shouldnt be republishing our addons; you should be creating your own addon.
What you should do, is instead of dropping your new texture into:
Moviestorm/Addon/Base01/Data/Materials/Wall
you should create a new addon folder, eg:
Moviestorm/Addon/ScotsAddon/Data/Materials/Wall

And drop your new texture in there, with a copy of your modded Materials.materials (you can delete the other entries, too, as they are in the other version; this only applies to materials though).

You should then, in the modders workshop, publish ScotsAddon (or whatever you called it).

Then, hopefully, it should work.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#8 forgeuk

forgeuk

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:17 PM

Thanks Ben, you're spot on!
I shall have a play tonight, Thanks.
Scott Hather