• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:47 PM

I have some MS footage that I did some work with in After Effects. The only export setting I have for AE (cs3) that preserves the resolution seems to be rendering as a .mov .

However, when I bring it into Vegas I get audio but no video. I tried using virtualdub to convert the footage to an AVI or something but virtualdub doesn't even recognize the MOV file generated from AE.

When I export from AE, I render it at the highest quality possible, multi-pass, with keyframes every 24 frames, as a 60 fps video. Audio is stereo with a 44.1 sample rate. I've tried both preparing it for streaming and not, with the same results.

Could someone tell me where I might be possibly going wrong? Does any other member who uses AE and Vegas have a different workflow that I might emulate?

Lightworks does recognize the MOV files, but it's exporting options aren't all that stellar, so I'd rather use Vegas.

#2 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

I have combined moviestorm, with AE and vegas with no problems whatsoever, the only thing I could suggest is check and make sure all your codexies are upto date

forumsig.png

#3 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:53 PM

What do you export the video as from AE? The only option I have for AVI is the cinepak codec, and for MOV I have the H.264 codec in AE, though I have the K-lite codec pack and the newest HuffyUV codecs installed in my system.

#4 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

i export as cinepack, and have no problems opening them in Vegas, however, sometimes I do have problems opening MS avi`s in vegas, so to get round that I open the MS file in windows moviemaker, and re render it, and then it goes into vegas. perhaps try doing that with you AE files

forumsig.png

#5 sgnr76

sgnr76

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (andy_price @ Dec 31 2010, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i export as cinepack, and have no problems opening them in Vegas, however, sometimes I do have problems opening MS avi`s in vegas, so to get round that I open the MS file in windows moviemaker, and re render it, and then it goes into vegas. perhaps try doing that with you AE files

If you render from MS as a DV (under system codecs I think), Vegas will open that up with no problems.

#6 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:07 AM

I'm trying to render out an HD video and the cinepak settings won't allow me to keep that high of a resolution. I'll keep tinkering with it though and see if there is something I'm missing. Right now I'm trying the H.264 codec again, with automatic keyframing and restricted to a data rate of 4000 kbps. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the help Andy smile.gif

#7 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:16 AM

I would like to give you a sample vid of what I have achived useing a combination of MS, AE and vegas, but the only one I have got is an intriguall part of an upcoming movie, and I dont want to spoil the surprise of space age

forumsig.png

#8 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:36 AM

Thanks Andy, but I wouldn't want you to spoil anything smile.gif

I've seen a lot of examples of what has been done with MS and AE, so I know how much the combination cang bring to a movie.

It seems no matter what I do, though, Vegas will import, but not show video, for any MOV file I bring into it. I've tinkered with every setting for the export from AE with no luck. Virtualdub won't recognize them either.

I'll have to keep digging and see what I can come up with. But if anyone else has any suggestions or solutions I'd love to hear them.

#9 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

Solution found! I was using the export option found in the file menu which was giving me limited options. However, if you use the render queue (go to window/render queue and find it as a tab on the bottom by you composition timeline, go to your project files window and click-drag your composition down to the queue) there are a whole lot of options that aren't available with the file/export option. I was able to render the footage as a WMV that Vegas really likes, plus the rendered video is of better quality and smaller file size then the MOVs I was rendering out the other way. Win!

Thanks to Andy for helping, and to Steve3416 who pointed me in the right direction smile.gif

....maybe now I can start getting this blasted movie done lol

#10 j1clark

j1clark

Moviegoer

• Pioneers
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE (Armanus @ Dec 31 2010, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Solution found! I was using the export option found in the file menu which was giving me limited options. However, if you use the render queue (go to window/render queue and find it as a tab on the bottom by you composition timeline, go to your project files window and click-drag your composition down to the queue) there are a whole lot of options that aren't available with the file/export option. I was able to render the footage as a WMV that Vegas really likes, plus the rendered video is of better quality and smaller file size then the MOVs I was rendering out the other way. Win!

Thanks to Andy for helping, and to Steve3416 who pointed me in the right direction smile.gif

....maybe now I can start getting this blasted movie done lol

Since I don't use vegas you'll have to check if it is capable of importing QuickTime mov formated files.

Here is the situation. When you are generating media that is to be used further in compositing you should use a noncompessing codec or if compressing, use a lossless compression option. By using something like an h264 or dv codec you will introduce loss.

Using the render option of after effects you can select QuickTime then use the animation codec which is lossless. I believe Vegas can deal with QuickTime mov files if QuickTime is installed.

Mov, avi, etc are container formats so just saying "mov" doesn't indicate how the media is encoded.

#11 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the info smile.gif

When I was poking around the internet I found that a lot of other people have had various issues with importing Quicktime movies into Vegas as well, with either missing video, audio, or import errors. Seems that older versions of Vegas had problems parsing MOV files that was resolved in Vegas 10. Alas, I am using 8 so no fix for me lol

I'm still working on trying various codecs to see which gives me the best but so far it has been the Windows9 codec for WMV file. I tried the Animation codec for Quicktime, but wasn't willing to settle for a 2Gb file size for 10 seconds of video wink.gif

Still tinkering, but at least I have the option to start some editing!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users