27 replies to this topic

#21 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (delores1day @ Apr 25 2013, 1:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I say amateur, this does not mean that the person themselves are not professionals, rather, it's the software that we're using which limits our capabilities to take our creativity a lot further.

This is what I mean by amateur. And the works of many talented animators here do not compare because of the software used to create such works.

My last post on this topic.

I do not understand you Delores. Now you insult the very company that provides you with the software. You claim because no major film has made with Moviestorm that is is an amateur tool. The software is not what is amateur, it is how it is used and how the person using it perceives it. With the proper time, editing software and talent, anyone who uses this software has the capability of making a 'major' film.

Some people had the same thoughts about a program called The Movies. It had set animations that you could not completely control, limited camera abilities and more. It was due to the community that people like Ben Tuttle, Joseph Kwong and Rik Vargard and others were able to make films that could be shown on any movie theater screen alongside the major animated films made with the high end software. Being creative with your camera set-ups and use of editing software can compensate for any limitation the program itself has.

Why can't you understand that it is not you (the person) that we are taking offense with but the term amateur and your attitude about the word. By continuing to use that term, you are making yourself look like a complete snob that is looking down her nose at us 'unworthy' peons. Even after a professional gave his opinion of the software, you continue to insult us and Moviestorm itself.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#22 sburke3002

sburke3002

Master Director

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (Harb40 @ Apr 25 2013, 7:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My last post on this topic.

I do not understand you Delores. Now you insult the very company that provides you with the software. You claim because no major film has made with Moviestorm that is is an amateur tool. The software is not what is amateur, it is how it is used and how the person using it perceives it. With the proper time, editing software and talent, anyone who uses this software has the capability of making a 'major' film.

Some people had the same thoughts about a program called The Movies. It had set animations that you could not completely control, limited camera abilities and more. It was due to the community that people like Ben Tuttle, Joseph Kwong and Rik Vargard and others were able to make films that could be shown on any movie theater screen alongside the major animated films made with the high end software. Being creative with your camera set-ups and use of editing software can compensate for any limitation the program itself has.

Why can't you understand that it is not you (the person) that we are taking offense with but the term amateur and your attitude about the word. By continuing to use that term, you are making yourself look like a complete snob that is looking down her nose at us 'unworthy' peons. Even after a professional gave his opinion of the software, you continue to insult us and Moviestorm itself.

The software is great, but it limited to some degree. It's user friendly, great for learning animation, but for creating other things, moviestorm is limited. I enjoy the software, and I'd highly recommend it to others. It is limited! For instance, try having your characters hold hands while walking. Try having your characters ball room dance by way of moviestorm. It will not happen. That is what I mean by limited animation.

My Moments in Love..."The Real Animated Soap Opera"

#23 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Yes but we can make our own animations now. It is not easy to do but a lot of people are doing this like Squirrleygirl and 3dTree and often the animations are free, 3DTree's always are so if you asked them to do something like ballroom dancing or holding hands while walking, they would do it.

#24 spenayoung

spenayoung

Director

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hello Everyone,

I do agree that there are limitations to MS, but if someone's work is coming out "amateurish" it's the problem of the artist not the program.

I won't go on about how I am also a professional who uses MS (google me). It's a great program, and once you get around the limitations, there are really so many wonderful things that you can do with it.

If there are problems with folks not appreciating your work here, then it is most likely a simple problem with your work. I've been working in tech for decades now, and amazing work has come out of software that would make today's digital savvy kindergartners laugh. It's not the software, it's the artist.

If it looks amateurish, then you are the amateur. So go to film school, put in the time to learn how to edit, do sound design, take a creative writing course. Watch GOOD work until your work is good work, too. It's a process. And don't whine when folks don't watch your work. If the only bar is replicating Disney-like animation, then that's clearly tunnel vision. And there are plenty of examples of animation that make it big that are not "professional" looking. It's what you make of it. So yeah, get the mistakes and kinks out, but then make something great.

BTW, kudos to artists like Lucinda that take literally huge chunks of their lives out to help make big projects a reality.

Anyway, interesting conversation. I think it's hilarious that one person has this much of a reaction, but hey, negative publicity is good publicity too. So maybe trolling the MS forums are a great way to sell a few movies. Ha.

Ok, later,
Sabrina

Sabrina Pena Young
Composer/Filmmaker/Sci-fi Junkie
Libertaria: The Virtual Opera

You must unlearn what you have learned.
Visit My Website

#25 vphilly

vphilly

Director

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Ben, I am not antagonizing anyone.

Yes. You. Are. You have antagonized more than a few of us with your **spam** and your **attitude**. A Moviestorm staff member has looked at your posts and deemed them antagonistic. What do you do? You argue with him about it. You are quite a case study, I must say.

Ever since I've joined moviestorm, there has been a select few of harassers on this forum. The insults normally happen right after one or two of the harassers have seen a recent movie in which I’ve posted.

You know, there are lies, there are damn lies, and then there are your lies. People came down on you this time and the last time for ***spamming*** the Recent Movies page and for your generally lousy and disrespectful attitude towards other members of this community. Your stubborn refusal to accept this fact won't make it go away. Once again, people get upset with you because of your **spam** and your **disrespect** towards the community. NOT for the content of your movies. You want respect? You gotta give respect, sweetheart.

I don't mind the criticism, but at least three extremist come here and bash.

Yes, you do mind the criticism, even when it's offered to help you. You do very much mind the criticism. Your out of control angry, profanity laced PMs to a couple of us prove otherwise. No one here has cursed and no one here has made race an issue, but you. Calling people "extremists" is your way of deflecting your personal responsibility for this whole disgusting episode.

It is my opinion that yes, in the realm of moviestorm, this stuff is amateur.

You just refuse to let this go, even after you know it upsets people. Even after you have been proven wrong, time and again. You refuse to let it go. You are unbelievable.

it's the software that we're using which limits our capabilities to take our creativity a lot further.

Maybe it limits *your* creativity. Others find a way around the limitations and then go on to get much well deserved praise for their cleverness and their movies.

For instance, major animated motion pictures such as Ghost in the Shell, Metropolis, Batman's Revenge, The Avenger's Thanos, to name a few; aren't made with moviestorm software.

So? SO?? Some of those movies aren't made with 3D Max either. Is 3D Max a tool for amateurs too? I know of several successful animated films that were created in Blender. So does Blender deserve your blessing as a tool for professionals? Maybe it's the limits of your own creativity that makes you think that Moviestorm is a tool for rubes and amateurs.

This is what I mean by amateur. And the works of many talented animators here do not compare because of the software used to create such works. That is all!

You are so freaking insulting. Your works may not compare because of your limited abilities. There are plenty of movies here that I would gladly sit in a theater to watch. People have done some amazing things with this software. Hell, people have done some amazing things with The Movies game. Things that are beyond your grasp. To sit here and insult people, just because you yourself are incapable of improving your abilities is just beyond the pale. It's too bad, Delores. People here have extended acceptance to you, have advised you to simply tone it down and just join the rest of us. People have offered you help. This community has offered you a second chance and this is what you do with it. You want to know why people here are angry with you and come down on you? Look in the mirror.
"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." -some dead guy.

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.c...ser/pixel62Warp

#26 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

This is my last reply on the "Delores-Case"...

Delores, do you listen to yourself once in a while? Don't you realize that your behavior annoys people? And then you accuse them for feeling annoyed? All the years in the forums I have never come across a case like you. A very sad case I must add. If your opinion is "I'm right" -- so be it. But don't insult people if they disagree. This also makes it very difficult to communicate with you because YOU are always right. It seems you need others only to praise your "amateur" work. And don't tell us to chill out. We only get upset if someone plays God like you. How about you chill out? And realize that you are a human being with faults. If you apologize as a human we will also be humans who accept that.

I have learned that this community is extremely helpful and honest with each other. That people actually take the time to answer you is prove of that. If you want friends you have to be a friend yourself in the first place. Think about that.

-- And Ben, I can understand if you're irritated or maybe annoyed about this thread. But don't censor! There's no need to lock this thread. The members of this community can handle this pretty well. And we all have the right to express our opinions if we feel annoyed -- or even insulted...

Arthur smile.gif

#27 sburke3002

sburke3002

Master Director

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (ArthurVKuhrmeier @ Apr 26 2013, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is my last reply on the "Delores-Case"...

Delores, do you listen to yourself once in a while? Don't you realize that your behavior annoys people? And then you accuse them for feeling annoyed? All the years in the forums I have never come across a case like you. A very sad case I must add. If your opinion is "I'm right" -- so be it. But don't insult people if they disagree. This also makes it very difficult to communicate with you because YOU are always right. It seems you need others only to praise your "amateur" work. And don't tell us to chill out. We only get upset if someone plays God like you. How about you chill out? And realize that you are a human being with faults. If you apologize as a human we will also be humans who accept that.

I have learned that this community is extremely helpful and honest with each other. That people actually take the time to answer you is prove of that. If you want friends you have to be a friend yourself in the first place. Think about that.

-- And Ben, I can understand if you're irritated or maybe annoyed about this thread. But don't censor! There's no need to lock this thread. The members of this community can handle this pretty well. And we all have the right to express our opinions if we feel annoyed -- or even insulted...

Arthur smile.gif

Thank goodness we all can agree to disagree. Call this thread a dead dud already. Stop kicking this can down the road. Look people, let it go. Let's all get off this matter and get back to what we enjoy, and that is making great movies. Geez! This is classic venting to the max! I am entitled to my opinions. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Peace.
My Moments in Love..."The Real Animated Soap Opera"

#28 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

Edited out comment: Ben is right, not worth it.