• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

Ok, now I have solved the problem with making props that puppets can sit on I have had another problem since last night.

I made a dining chair, it works perfect and the puppet sits just right on it (the bone is placed just right)

However I have made a variation of that chair, I have put breaks in the back of it and it`s front legs I moved back a little and bent back, however despite it being basically the same the bone places right near the back of it resulting in the puppet sitting with its bottom slightly hanging off the back and it`s legs sinking in to the front of the seat:

I cannot understand why this is happening, is there anyway to make the bone move forward? Why now despite me trying and trying again is it doing this?

(Please not the ring pieces for the broken chair are a seperate prop from the chair).

#2 Reacher

Reacher

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

Maybe it's just the angle, but the gizmo looks placed more to the back in the 2nd chair.
That would lead me to think that the mesh is not centered the same as the other chair.

-- Reacher

#3 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

Yeah I noticed the second model seems to be moved forward a little compared to the first, rather odd as the dimensions of both are the same, it`s just some of the features are altered a bit huh.gif

#4 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:43 PM

Are you making your props in Sketchup or something else?

As with sketchup you have no control of where the bone will be, to position the bone accurately and get the actor sitting exactly where you want you would need to use Milkshape, Misfit 3D or Blender, I think.

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

DavidWWW pointed this out a couple of years back. The Sketchup Import appears to place the bone in the "Centre of Mass" of the model. By cutting away the back and moving the legs in, you have moved that bacwards. Hence the bone centre moves. You could probably fool it by e.g. using alphas for the cutouts and even attaching invisble geometry to the front to rebalance. But that is all very finicky.
Like Daleh says, it is much easier to create it in a tool that lets you place the skeleton.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#6 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

Interesting you should say that mate, I never thought for one minute by making those little changes it would throw it off since the seat dimensions are exactly the same, I thought it would just center itself in the middle of the model itself.

What should the bone be named in milkshape if I do it that way? Also should it have a particular orientation (ie facing up, down, left or right)?

#7 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

I'm pretty certain from what Ben has said in the past that Bone name is irrelevant - it is just the index number that matters. So if an MS chair has 2 "bones" and is assigned to the second you need to make sure your skeleton has the same number and the mesh is assigned to the second as well. Like you, I would have to fiddle about to work out the correct orientation but I suspect the chair would have to be lying on its front facing you in Milkshape "Front view".

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#8 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

I believe that the sketchup importer moves the prop to be over the origin.
So if you have an alternative export route to generate the cal files, you will have more control over where the model is compared to the origin. And if you are using chair bones from some other prop, then those are also relative to the origin, so changing where the chair is relative to the origin also changes where it is compared to the sitting bone.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd