#1 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:02 PM

I just read this old post by Hugh Hancock :-

This paragraph in particular sums it up:-

"The brain is programmed to decode information from all the potential information vectors coming from any specific communication medium, you see, and when any specific vector doesn’t contain any information, that doesn’t mean that the brain stops decoding it. On the contrary, it will attempt to extract information from the vector even if the creator of the media didn’t intend it to- and what it extracts and feeds into the listener’s brain will rarely help the message the media is trying to get across. For example, in the “speech synthesiser” example, the information it will decode will include the knowledge that the speaker doesn’t have any care for what he is saying (and therefore the content isn’t very important), that there’s no inflection (which isn’t a human characteristic, which will unnerve the listener and make him uncomfortable) and so on."

So basically if the Director doesn't care about how his dialogue is presents to the viewer, why should the viewer care about the movie?

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#2 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:55 AM

Pretty much sums it up.

It also shows how effective it can be in portraying human type robots, since their lack of emotions could get annoying, even disturbing. The same goes fot interacting with a smart computer. 

In the case of a human that lost his voice and has a computer do the talking, ala Stephen Hawking, it could give you sadness and make you feel sorry for a person unable to express emotions.

Bottomline, there is a limited place for TTS but not good for "normally functioning" human beings.

#3 tfish11

tfish11

Director

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:54 AM

Hey point taken!!!!!!!

#4 tfish11

tfish11

Director

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:10 AM

I'm still struggling with the TTS over actors dilemma and I've measured my movies against many others on here and it doesn't seem to add up. My movies contain almost thirty different characters as well as extras in the form of gangsters and prostitutes. My viewing ratings remains low in comparison to most on MS although this may be down to my content rather than my movie-making. I defend my content by citing Tarrantino as an example of someone who prefers to have film content a bit different. I'm no Tarrantio far from it but sex sells no matter but sadly not on MS it would seem.

Anyway I digress slightly I've looked at numerous movies on MS and they tend to be very short with very little in the way of story so it's easy to use one perhaps two people to do the voices alas in my case having 30 actors at my disposal for animated films is just never going to happen. I put so much effort into making my movies, it takes ages to just pull together just one scene and then knitting scenes together in I-movie or Final cut takes a while too. Please don't accuse me of not caring about my pupetts' voices because I do and if I could use real people I would and I am looking into it seriously but it's going to take a superhuman effort above the effort I'm making already. My Sensual movies are a story, slowly unravelling her world, and I do believe there's a market for them. Strangely I notice that some of my movies are viewed less than others and that's nuts to think somebody watched three episodes but missed out episodes in between  if that makes sense. 

#5 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:28 AM

I'm still struggling with the TTS over actors dilemma and I've measured my movies against many others on here and it doesn't seem to add up. My movies contain almost thirty different characters as well as extras in the form of gangsters and prostitutes. My viewing ratings remains low in comparison to most on MS although this may be down to my content rather than my movie-making. I defend my content by citing Tarrantino as an example of someone who prefers to have film content a bit different. I'm no Tarrantio far from it but sex sells no matter but sadly not on MS it would seem.

Anyway I digress slightly I've looked at numerous movies on MS and they tend to be very short with very little in the way of story so it's easy to use one perhaps two people to do the voices alas in my case having 30 actors at my disposal for animated films is just never going to happen. I put so much effort into making my movies, it takes ages to just pull together just one scene and then knitting scenes together in I-movie or Final cut takes a while too. Please don't accuse me of not caring about my pupetts' voices because I do and if I could use real people I would and I am looking into it seriously but it's going to take a superhuman effort above the effort I'm making already. My Sensual movies are a story, slowly unravelling her world, and I do believe there's a market for them. Strangely I notice that some of my movies are viewed less than others and that's nuts to think somebody watched three episodes but missed out episodes in between  if that makes sense. 

Just have fun making your movies and don't worry too much about viewing ratings and other statistics.

I don't know what are your expectations when you come to create a movie, apart from telling a story and having a lot of fun in the process, but that's the main reason for me to use MS.

Regarding the use of TTS, the raw output rendered by any TTS engine, even the best ones out there, does certainly sound mechanical and unnatural, but with some extra work, tweaking and processing you can improve its quality to some extent, though it won't be a perfect alternative to the work of a group voice actors. BTW, have you tried to do different voices for your characters?  Well, thirty different voices, both male and female, would be a real accomplishment, but with some practice and maybe some help from your favourite sound edition program you can create a few of them.

In any case, I wouldn't say you're lazy or careless, because of the use of TTS for the voice of your characters, as far you do your best. I can understand that some people hate TTS, but you cannot be liked by everyone.

Again, just do your best and have as much fun as you can. Just my opinion.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#6 sburke3002

sburke3002

Master Director

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

Just have fun making your movies and don't worry too much about viewing ratings and other statistics.

I don't know what are your expectations when you come to create a movie, apart from telling a story and having a lot of fun in the process, but that's the main reason for me to use MS.

Regarding the use of TTS, the raw output rendered by any TTS engine, even the best ones out there, does certainly sound mechanical and unnatural, but with some extra work, tweaking and processing you can improve its quality to some extent, though it won't be a perfect alternative to the work of a group voice actors. BTW, have you tried to do different voices for your characters?  Well, thirty different voices, both male and female, would be a real accomplishment, but with some practice and maybe some help from your favourite sound edition program you can create a few of them.

In any case, I wouldn't say you're lazy or careless, because of the use of TTS for the voice of your characters, as far you do your best. I can understand that some people hate TTS, but you cannot be liked by everyone.

Again, just do your best and have as much fun as you can. Just my opinion.

The most optimistic and motivational advice given  thus far. Agreed. Have tons of fun with Moviestorm!

My Moments in Love..."The Real Animated Soap Opera"

#7 tfish11

tfish11

Director

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:32 PM

I've looked at Ivona and Morphvox and I'm unsure whether they are available for Apple Mac, which seems rather daft since Apple is supposed to be the creative piece of kit but rarely has back-up apps to compliment it 

cheers for messages guys I'm still re-editting but it's not just the voices I'm looking at it's the whole filming process 

watch that space 

#8 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:17 PM

There is also a website www.cereproc.com with voices of many different accents. The voices are very good. It is possible to record them with other audio programs. 

#9 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:51 PM

@tfish. My comment was not directed at you in particular - there are plenty of people who use TTS, But I doubt if you will find any highly-rated or even highly-watched movies which use it exclusively, except in roles such as talking computers and robots etc.

The lack of correct intonation in TTS means that it is such hard work to get "into" the characters that I learned ages ago not to bother. Audio is such a fundamental part of film that using TTS almost constitutes a different medium to me. Comics don't have to use audio, the reader's brain works out the context from the written text. But in an animation, using TTS actually obstructs this process, and making the experience arduous is not a great way to attract an audience. Especially in a day and age where our attention spans are shrinking dramatically.

You posted a while ago about your frustration that your viewing figures were so low, so I was just elaborating on why I for one won't be watching. But of course you shouldn't care about that - like people have advised, carry on doing whatever makes you happy.

Maybe someday the technology will be good enough.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"