• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nb99

nb99

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:01 AM

A couple of the recent requests, altering the timeline, syncing music, syncing actions to bluescreen,
made me think "it would be great to have a user scripting system, like the Quakes etc"..
But a simpler way occurred to me:

The GUI is great for easy setup of a scene - but then there are a lot of times one would like frame accurate adjustments. There is also the problem of actions that change each time you run the scene (improvs).

Would it be within reason to have an option for MS to write a CSV file of the actions that happen in a run-through of a scene,
including the specific actions that the improv AI decided to use during that run, plus timing info.

We could open it in excel, adjust timing of actions, run a macro to insert a delay at the start and adjust all subsequent times - stuff like that...

Then have the option to import the altered CSV back in, to be re-run exactly (no AI influence on the 'improv' actions this time)

The simplest error detection and notification, leave it up to us to get it right or suffer...

Any possibility at all???

nb
-------------------------------------------------------
Nota Bene : from the centurions little book of desert survival.

If Nero had backed up Rome *before* he fiddled, it would have saved a lot of tears.

#2 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:20 AM

Exporting the data in a flat-file format such as CSV isn't too much of a problem. The difficulty comes when you read that data and try to understand it! In actual fact, Moviestorm already does almost what you're suggesting. Most of the interactions and data for your movies is stored in the movie.mscope file within each movie's directory. That file is nothing more (or less) than an XML file, which can be read with any text editor. Open one up and take a look, and you'll see how complicated it is. Re-writing it to make it more user-friendly, or documenting each bit of it, would be impractical, which is why we don't generally encourage users to hack away at this file manually. If you want to have a go, though, go right ahead - just be sure to back up your movie first!
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#3 gishzida

gishzida

Director

• Pioneers
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

Would it be possible to get a "data dictionary" of the tags used?

I agree with nb... having the ability to see how and when the events described / used in the time line is important... I've got wondrous anomalies I've managed to create that I can't get rid of... unless I can see the events causing them.

I'm used to multi-track editors [midi / wav / video] where all of the events are shown not just a single track for each type of object that holds the focus currently.

OTOH... I'm not in favor of using XL as the way to do this... Too much lock in to a certain vendor...

Hmmm... Python.... Hmmm... TKinter....

So any chance to a dictionary or are the tags mostly self explaitory?

#4 nb99

nb99

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

movie.mscope

Way cool - right under my nose ! (I've been spending too much time in the model folders!)
This is a really 'open' product, which I'm sure will reap all sorts of rewards.

I totally appreciate you guys at SF have got your hands full with the core application, and didn't really expect this sort of goody til much later.

Probably only a small percentage of users may ever venture down this low level, and I would hope they would appreciate that if they don't tread very carefully they may get fingers burnt...
("cut the red wire - no, the blue wire - aaahh cut 'em both")

Once I can get to it, I'll report back to interested users my findings on the practicality of "adjusting" the XML... (Hacker - who called me a hacker!)

Isn't it surprising just what makes some people all excited..

nb

-------------------------------------------------------
Nota Bene : from the centurions little book of desert survival.

If Nero had backed up Rome *before* he fiddled, it would have saved a lot of tears.

#5 DavidB

DavidB

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

Do, please, keep us updated on this.

It could be a very interesting development. Another thread here also indicates that you can send the .mscope file to a friend, and, provided they have the same .addons and sound / video / mod files installed, you can work on the same movie. By extension, you could set up as "Chief Gaffer Tape Winder and .mscope hacker" as part of a larger movie team.

There is no complete Data Dictionary for the .mscope file in plain English that we can just post. Tags that are self evident are, and those that are not are probably not a good idea to mess with. :-)

In my dreams someone writes us an importer for FinalDraft scripts that sets up a Moviestorm set with the relevant characters and puts in the basic dialog. In my wild dreams there is an importer from CeltX that puts in timelines and props as well. ah, back to the real world

So, if you fancy challenges, there they are.

We have already said that we are committed to providing a market place for art assets and .addons through which Moviestorm modders can earn some revenue for the assets they created that others buy. (soon) That would extend to code additions, importers, and the like. (later) We would like to check any new extensions or .addons out through our QA, just in case it //really// breaks things badly.

If you want to propose something that needs specific support from us, PM myself of Dave Lloyd on the subject. At the very least we would invite you to the Pioneers Club where we can talk about forthcoming features and releases.

Moviestorm is greatly enhanced by its community, and any extensions to the data set are welcome. You should have a quick read on the EULA and T&C's. On one hand we (obviously) ask you not to poke around in the Java or go making your own business out of our hard work or the work of other Moviestorm users. On the other we have tried to make it as easy as we can for us all to share in the value we create through a market place and promotions.
David J W Bailey ACA MA MSc GIBiol MInstD

blog.david.bailey.net www.twitter.com/davidjwbailey www.flickr.com/people/davidjwbailey

#6 gishzida

gishzida

Director

• Pioneers
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:55 PM

(DavidB)
Do, please, keep us updated on this.

There is no complete Data Dictionary for the .mscope file in plain English that we can just post. Tags that are self evident are, and those that are not are probably not a good idea to mess with. :-)

I probably won't get to look at this until the end of the week [my "get paid for a living" job always seems to get in the way of the fun stuff :-) ]... Then I'll try to dis-assemble one of the movies I have that's "broken" due to lost pointer [begin - end] tags

I'm not looking to do anything fancy... just a multi-track time-line... preferably graphic [which of course my be beyond my humble skills] that shows the "relationships" between all objects and actions but I'll give it a go.

When I get into it, I know I'm gonna have questions :-)

#7 saument

saument

Director

• Pioneers
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

I've been familiarizing myself with the mscope file and have already used it for duplicating elements and cleaning up scenes.

I actually already thought about the FinalDraft import. I'll probably work on this at some point. It should be fairly easy from the MovieStorm mscope side to set that up. Looking at an FD script file in a text editor, it might be a bear to decode the markup. Perhaps working from a properly formatted script exported from FinalDraft as rtf would be a good first step.

ok, calm down Stephen...

The xml is pretty straightforward and self-explanatory. I haven't taken the time to decipher how the numbers translate to inside the app, or how the pieces of the transform elements translate, but I plan some tests, maybe after the holidays.

Thank you guys for your awesome community support and encouragement!
=================================
Stephen Aument
Jeslync Pictures

#8 GrimBlazer

GrimBlazer

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:53 AM

This is a great discussion -- glad I found it. I would love for there to be a programming API that could help us crank out custom XML so that we can fine-tune actions. Short of that, I think the Script Editor really needs to be more robust (i.e., better editing capabilities. Just my two cents.