• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 alteregotrip

alteregotrip

Master Director

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

I would like to inform everyone that many of my projects I have been thinking about, and incubating have been postponed. Sort of sad about it..

its frustrating because I really enjoy moviestorm, and other programs which use 3D rendering graphics.

Now I was using a Sony Vaio vgn-fz11s. It had 2GB memory. The graphics ability to render was only 1280x800 and had a NIVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT GPU. OS Windows 7.

Not much great, kind of old, but functional, until last month when I had to start using a remote monitor because the screen backlight died.. thinking that was the end of the trouble, I proceeded to work my way around it all. I should have been on the phone straight away looking for a replacement instead of messing about.

In any case, I would like to have a larger screen resolution, and whatever else has worked BEST for others using moviestorm.. if anyone has some advice..

I just want to know what I should be hunting for.. something old but optimal would be the advice I am looking for. I prefer to look in the direction of second hand computers, only because I know many gamers get rid of their computers after the next generation of games comes out with newer more "advanced" graphics.

I figure out there this is a hidden potential of computers sleeping waiting to be my friend wink.gif

Just give me a clue what would work best or just better..

Thanks everyone ahead of time.

"move along, nothing to see here; these are not the droids you are looking for..."

#2 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

You could upgrade new cheaply and get a much better system than your old one. A bargain basement walmart special is a better computer.smile.gif

Oh...And Black Friday is coming up.

...checking ads...

Oh hell...Just check out this site:

http://bfads.net/

Or click this link for a list specifically of computers:

http://bfads.net/Search/computer

I think your computer may have done you a favor with the timing.smile.gif

Of course, not knowing your budget I can't really be sure.
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#3 alteregotrip

alteregotrip

Master Director

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (corthew @ Nov 20 2011, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could upgrade new cheaply and get a much better system than your old one. A bargain basement walmart special is a better computer.smile.gif

Oh...And Black Friday is coming up.

...checking ads...

Oh hell...Just check out this site:

http://bfads.net/

Or click this link for a list specifically of computers:

http://bfads.net/Search/computer

I think your computer may have done you a favor with the timing.smile.gif

Of course, not knowing your budget I can't really be sure.

Thanks for your response, I was more interested in what people were using and what was best to use.. since I live in Sweden.. its not about where to get, but rather what is working for people using moviestorm..

such as lower end graphics or higher end graphics or something in between..

I guess I should say happy thanks giving to those in the US.
"move along, nothing to see here; these are not the droids you are looking for..."

#4 alteregotrip

alteregotrip

Master Director

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

At least I can say that those adverts tell me whats out there and new is pretty good and I probably can deal with something a little less than top line wink.gif

Thanks again Corthew!

#5 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

The LGA 775 socket set CPU's are going down in price a at a fast rate. Id look for a computer or build a computer with said parts that would have cost 4000$ years ago. but should be able to piece together quite cheap and get the most efficient Computer you could ask for.

I tend to build my own computers because the Computers on the Shelf's these days are not as fast as they advertize. being as they cut corners to make it look like an all powerful new comp, but the underlining components of the Computer make it Slower then it should be. with that said this is what you should look for.

Rampage Formula Asus LGA775 socket Motherboard x48 chip set
Striker Extreme 2 Asus LGA775 socket Motherboard Nvidia nforce 790i chip Set
ether of these will do I perfer the nforce Chip set for the LGA775 CPU's

CPU: a side from Intel Extreme Serise of 775 CPU's the Intel Quad Core Q9650 3.00Ghz was the best you could get back in the day. And should be really cheap these days.

DDR 2 Ram, anything that runs 1066mhz or higher, Ram form Corsair or Patriot are good brand, kingston if u must but I'm not a fan.

and finally the GPU, I'd go with Nvidia myself, I found Radeons drivers to be temperamental.
the nvidia 500 series is out, which should start to bring the 400 down a bit. but not buy much Id go with the 590 GTX if you can afford it, if you cant, anything in the 500s will do, if those are too much then anything in the 400's.

750w or higher power supply

and that should do it. fast an efficient, with little bottle necking of processing data.
as for as laptops go. look for anything with these specks. Asus, Laptops are genuinely powerful for Games/Machinama. any GPU 400m -500m series should do fine. however even today's fastest laptops, are just not as powerful as a desktops.

hope this helps

#6 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

We got my new computer from Dell and it was only $700 including a large monitor. I think it is 24 inch. It also has a lot of memory and is a 64 bit machine, huge hard drive and came with Windows 7 included. It has an ATI graphics card and surprisingly it works with all my software. I thought you needed Geforce to work with some graphics software but evidently you don't.

#7 alteregotrip

alteregotrip

Master Director

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (Mneros @ Nov 20 2011, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hope this helps

the specs and everything has helped greatly, I feel a little more interested in something new with surfing over to Asus.se definitely something to drive me crazy! But since I also know a number of gamers would be wanting to upgrade to 500, there should be a good supply of used computers in Stockholm now. All I have to do is look in the right places.

Thanks for everything!

AET smile.gif

#8 alteregotrip

alteregotrip

Master Director

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Nov 20 2011, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has an ATI graphics card and surprisingly it works with all my software. I thought you needed Geforce to work with some graphics software but evidently you don't.

I thought that too for a while concerning ATI but then I was using one, running secondlife, although just barely making the specs I managed to use it for a long time.. only draw back was due to its age, it didn't have the rendering capacity for graphics, no shadows and no reflections.. the difference was fantastic after seeing it fully rendered, but I have to confess, if it were not for those details, I wouldn't have thought that it could get any better.

Some people intentionally turn off the skinning, shadows and reflections for a different effect.

Thanks for telling me, at least I know now there must be something "out there" second hand for a good price.

AET smile.gif

#9 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1144 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

Then againg, Apple is opening a store in Stockholm, right? Alltid Sverige først.
But that is probably like swearing in church laugh.gif

#10 alteregotrip

alteregotrip

Master Director

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (keithlawrence @ Nov 20 2011, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then againg, Apple is opening a store in Stockholm, right? Alltid Sverige først.
But that is probably like swearing in church laugh.gif

oooh no! Not me! Not Apple.. not unless very second hand, (probably my when my husband updates his tongue.gif) But I need something a little more.. um graphic. You know, tough..

#11 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (alteregotrip @ Nov 20 2011, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought that too for a while concerning ATI but then I was using one, running secondlife, although just barely making the specs I managed to use it for a long time.. only draw back was due to its age, it didn't have the rendering capacity for graphics, no shadows and no reflections.. the difference was fantastic after seeing it fully rendered, but I have to confess, if it were not for those details, I wouldn't have thought that it could get any better.

Some people intentionally turn off the skinning, shadows and reflections for a different effect.

Thanks for telling me, at least I know now there must be something "out there" second hand for a good price.

AET smile.gif

The one we got from Dell for $700 was new, not used. Dell has some great deals and they also do sell used computers.

#12 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:16 PM

Lucinda there is a reason your computer was that price. Dell has contracts with Motherboard developers, to make models cheaper by adding Cheaper parts, such as Chinese designed capacitors which eventually Cook your CPU. Thats why you'll see some Dell Computers advertise "made with Japanese capacitors." so not to deter ppl who are aware of this flaw.

Dell also cut other corners, which as a result makes the computer sound all powerful but ultimately there is major bottle-necking of data. Most major is the speed of ram, sure it list "DDR2/DDR3 8-12GB of ram, but if the ram speed is sitting at the 600-800mhz, then whats the point? when it should be 1066-1333 or higher, and then lets not forget the Latency numbers associated with rams performance or the size of L cache in the CPU.

all these underlying numbers are Important. and I guarantee you that a 700$ dell runs not efficiently as it should. You might have been better off buying a 340$ no-name brand form a department store for the same performance.

the only thing that has dell going for them when it comes to real Computer Performance is their XPS models. and even then I can see all the flaws. and when dell bought out Alien-ware their Computers all when to Sh*** for the same reason.

Sorry this news might upset you Lucinda. But if you are to by a computer in the far future then you can better know what you are putting to your hard earned money into, knowledge is power even if you don't like what you hear.

I could be wrong, but not likely i build computers for a living for many mmorpg gaming Communities.
id be very curious to see a Benchmark Test result on your computer to see. From there, there could be a cheap fix. but I can guarantee you my 6 year old Computer will out perform your Dell an estimated 60%.

I use "PassMark Performance Test" you can download a 30day trial here [url="http://www.passmark...._download.htm"]

#13 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

Mneros, we have bought Dell computers for years and they are all still operating. We have a lot of computers around here. They all work great. My husband is in the business -- well he is a DBA Systems Analyst but he knows computers and he can add things to them that they don't come with very inexpensively.

#14 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:59 PM

as long as your happy with them, then that's all that counts. just thought you should know

#15 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:03 AM

The thing about computer components is that generally if you protect the system from surges and excess heat even low grade components will last.

While a chinese capacitor may be sensitive to abrupt spikes in power, where no spikes occur the capacitor will perform just fine.

Static charges, power fluctuations, excessive heat due to dust accumulation, cat hair clogging vents, etc.

A better made component will survive more abuse but if said abuse is ongoing i don't care how good your system is, its gonna fail.

Bottom line, pamper it like a baby or expect the worst.wink.gif

But of course, if you're rich spend the big bucks and get top of the line.

I have a Walmart special I paid 400.00 for two years ago.

I have a system I built around an Asus motherboard and Fermi graphics card for right at 1,000.00 less than a year ago.

They are both on surge protectors and have given me no problems inconsistent with their capability.

You do not need a top of the line system to run MovieStorm.

It would help with Blender but even that isn't necessary.

You may experience bottlenecking but honestly, you're probably going to get that no matter how good your system is.

Its only as strong as its weakest link and you can often upgrade that.

Make sure whatever system you get can take more ram than you really need and can handle a faster processor.

Asus makes good stuff btw.
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#16 alteregotrip

alteregotrip

Master Director

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

Thanks everyone, once again for giving me some information about the specs I should be looking for.

I do know I demand a high resolution: I found an Asus that has a great maximum resolution of 1920x1080
I'm willing to go as LOW as: 1440 x 900.

Otherwise I've got some help combing the wastelands for bargain used computer.

#17 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

Well I hope you get a new computer soon. I wish you lived in Kansas City because we have a lot of good computers and you could come over here and use one as much as you like. I do have an old laptop but I have not tried Moviestorm on it. I will see if Moviestorm works and if it does you can have it if you want.

#18 alteregotrip

alteregotrip

Master Director

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

Hej Lucinda!

Its just a matter of waiting for when my husband talks to his IT guy, because he doesn't think I can find stuff on my own, when I showed him a number of very nice and hardly used inexpensive computers.

Its just the no man's zone of the year. My son is working hard in the choir so I have very little time for working on stuff.. so when I renewed my membership, its odd that suddenly when I had that moment, everything went "belly up".

Its very kind for the offer so thank you..

This does mean that if someone needs a voice.. I may have some time to fit in some lines. I really wanted to work on the longer script of "Hotel Chromaphobia" but this too must wait. Should be the least of my problems, and if it is, well that's all good then, isn't it?

Upside down world.

Be well everyone!

AET smile.gif