• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

Ever do something out side the box (so to speak), whether its camera tricks, or Special effects you did in the past, and then years later you are in the need for the something/idea, but looking back you cant remember how you did it?

went on a HDD deleting purge to cleanup and free space on the comp. Of that data was some film projects that had the techniques of what and how it did stuff is gone. SIGH....

o well Im sure I'll figure it out again soon enough through trial and error

#2 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:48 PM

Yes that happens to me too. I found a way to select all lines at once in a model in Sketchup without selecting the faces too and that makes it easier because you can have them not cast shadows which makes your props look better and now I can't remember how I did this or where I found it.

#3 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:10 AM

...me, I hide my own Easter eggs...
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#4 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE (Mneros @ Nov 25 2011, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
went on a HDD deleting purge to cleanup and free space on the comp. Of that data was some film projects that had the techniques of what and how it did stuff is gone. SIGH....

You did a purge? Was this from Dos or within the Windows environment?

Or are you using a different OS?

There may be ways to recover data if the space it occupied has not yet been overwritten.

Deleting doesn't actually delete it. It just redefines the space as unused so it can be rewritten if needed.

Of course, on the other hand if you have to relearn you may discover an easier way this time around for whatever it is.smile.gif

Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#5 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:38 AM

QUOTE (corthew @ Nov 27 2011, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You did a purge? Was this from Dos or within the Windows environment?

Or are you using a different OS?

There may be ways to recover data if the space it occupied has not yet been overwritten.

Deleting doesn't actually delete it. It just redefines the space as unused so it can be rewritten if needed.

Of course, on the other hand if you have to relearn you may discover an easier way this time around for whatever it is.smile.gif

Yah. That's not going to help it was on a hd that has had windows reinstalled several times through our the years. Plus a reformat here and there. But your right redoing it does find better easier ways then before.

#6 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:31 AM

what was the trick/effect you were looking for, perhaps someone here might know how to do it

forumsig.png

#7 alteregotrip

alteregotrip

Master Director

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

I clean my computer like my closets. I have layers of organization and hardly throw anything that seems of value away.. (pathetic but it helps my personal ability to recall information, not unlike a computer)

I actually cleared out my computer, the one that broke down, just before I was starting up my next projects within moviestorm.. I use allot of portable hard drives.. (acquired them from someone who keeps upgrading) So I recommend, even if it sounds like allot of effort, when you have even the stupidest thing you think has no value, remember inspiration comes from the most unlikely of places, especially with your stuff.

Even still for me, when the computer finally keeled over, I have stuff on the hard drive I did not make double redundant copies of..tongue.gif Its another thing I'm going to do, open up the hard drive and get a slave drive to recover since it won't even start up with a "live CD" and an installation of SLAX.. lots of experimental work I was going to re-work.

I tend to have an idea, throw it together and then, see how I could improve upon it so this is another reason why I save so much "crap". I don't like to write down so much of what I do.. most of the time I just draw stuff outside of the computer if I don't have something that resembles what I want as a real film or a sketch up done in moviestorm.

I guess this is why I have to save stuff too.. sort of unconventional way of working.. like my closets and my "studio".. always saving scraps which end up somewhere else at another time.

I don't suggest that other people work this way, however it may be interesting to see what happens when other people work like that... just. Everyone has their own style of how they organize their thoughts, something very individual. I just happen to be a pack-rat.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

AET smile.gif

P.S. I start getting myself upset over about 2 hours of working and reworking a swirl of ravens flying in a circle in green screen that I was really happy about that I didn't save on my mirror drive! URG!
"move along, nothing to see here; these are not the droids you are looking for..."

#8 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (andy_price @ Nov 28 2011, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what was the trick/effect you were looking for, perhaps someone here might know how to do it

It was a Shield Effect for the federation Ships. for a battle scene in SW ep 6 I'm working on finishing.
Half the battle sequence is done long ago. I thought I made a preset of the effect but I did not (oops). it was a very complex sequence of multiple layers within multiple Pre-composes inside After effects. If I cant match it up with the old one then its going to look fairly silly with 2 types of shields on the same ship mid way through the battle.

I'm about 90% there. however I remember I used a texture to act as a noise Matte, I just cant remember which one, or if I still have it. Sigh.....