23 replies to this topic

#1 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:26 AM

Explore and share this simple MS_character chicken skeleton development:
If you see any mistakes, problems or just a better way; very welcome to contribute.
Current MS 1.6 nov01 2013 beta release:

My chicken prop animates well in moddersworkshop and In-game
below:chicken puppet

My MS_Character(skeleton) chicken animates well in the moddersworkshop but porrly (feet lifting problems) In-game

The skeleton properties:
CODE
ROOT=Chicken_Brown
PELVIS=Bip01 Pelvis
SPINE=Bip01 Spine
SPINE1=Bip01 Spine
SPINE2=Bip01 Spine
SPINE3=Bip01 Spine
BREAST=Bip01 Spine
NECK=Bip01 Neck
HEAD=Bip01 Head
L_EYE=Bip01 Head
R_EYE=Bip01 Head
JAW=Bone01
MOUTH=Bone02
L_ARM=Bip01 Neck
R_ARM=Bip01 Neck
L_HAND=Bip01 Neck
R_HAND=Bip01 Neck
L_FOOT=Bip01 L Foot
R_FOOT=Bip01 R Foot
L_TOE=Bip01 L Toe02
R_TOE=Bip01 R Toe02
L_HIP=Bip01 L Thigh
R_HIP=Bip01 R Thigh
VISEME_MASK=
MIRROR_MAP=
Rotation=0 0 1 180
DefaultBody=3DT_Chicken01

I named spine,spine1,spine2 with the same bone name as the chicken skeleton dosn't have a spine1,2,or spine3..
IS this the reason for my poor animation results In-game?

Bring the MS_Character_chicken onset and want to start Gestures but not avaliable:

So Go back into ModersWorkshop and manually adjust the proper Cases in the folders:

Then I end up having the Gestures showing well up In-game:

As you can see from above: my chicken's feet are moving around when they should (and are in the modders workshop,but not in-game) be firmly planted on the ground.....

Another thing... When I build a new MS_Char_skeleton, should I include (keep the tick on) the 'dummies' as part of the initial skeleton.. like this:

I have made my initial skeleton with all tick-marks ON and made the properties file in accord to that setting.
The above picture is just what showed up when transferring an animation.

Again: any help in developing of this "free" to subscribers Addon would be appreciated.

#2 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

I can imagine that not ticking the root (and a chain of bones to the ones you want to animate) when exporting the animation might lead to problems - not exporting nubs is probably irrelevant, however, although not including them will make your resulting animation file smaller, which is good.

Would be interesting to see a work in progress version to see where you have got to and what is happening.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#3 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Nov 11 2013, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can imagine that not ticking the root (and a chain of bones to the ones you want to animate) when exporting the animation might lead to problems - not exporting nubs is probably irrelevant, however, although not including them will make your resulting animation file smaller, which is good.

Would be interesting to see a work in progress version to see where you have got to and what is happening.

Much appropriated Ben; This week I should be able to get time enough to put together addons for uploading ;animated chicken puppet and the prop version for sharing in this forum post.
Along with workflow videos if i can:
\ \ I suspect that my chicken puppet isn't built with the right bones structure to be a MS-Puppet, though works as a prop well...; A prop doesn't really have any good options to make walk cycle though...

PS: I'm not having the same troubles with other MS_puppets; Namely human, with full skeletons.

#4 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Nov 11 2013, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to
take a look (download) at the Chicken prop/puppet sharemovie here

Click here for Youtube Video in new window here: http://youtu.be/A5txPpnbUzY

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

That is nothing short of superb Tree! How come though Big Bird 's feet don't touch the ground in the first few secs whereas Chicken Little does? wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#6 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Nov 14 2013, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is nothing short of superb Tree! How come though Big Bird 's feet don't touch the ground in the first few secs whereas Chicken Little does? wink.gif

Yes Big Bird (MS_puppet) has a problem... This is a WIP sharemovie...
With hope Ben can lend some knowledge to the project, so I can get my chicken's feet back on the ground, so I can move onto the Gates....and other animations ;-)

#7 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (tree @ Nov 14 2013, 1:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes Big Bird (MS_puppet) has a problem... This is a WIP sharemovie...
With hope Ben can lend some knowledge to the project, so I can get my chicken's feet back on the ground, so I can move onto the Gates....and other animations ;-)

I can't open your shared movies in MS I have to watch on YouTube. Is there a trick to it?

#8 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

The sharedmovie is not opening correctly - it seems to be a problem related to this bug:
http://bugs.sun.com/...?bug_id=4338238

I'm curious as to which operating system Tree is using?
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#9 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Nov 14 2013, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The sharedmovie is not opening correctly - it seems to be a problem related to this bug:
http://bugs.sun.com/...?bug_id=4338238

I'm curious as to which operating system Tree is using?

Uploaded update addon here: 3DTree_Animals01.addon click here to download
Please note: this is a WIP version...for testing purposes....
A free version (since i'm asking for help and collaboration on this project) will follow once all the bugs could be fixed...

Sorry Ben and primaveranz it was broken; I did upload without testing...
I just tested the sharemovie on my windows7 64bit nvidia laptop... (I've now re-compiled the addon on my win8.1 machine and uploaded a working version )
I'm not sure how the sharemovie broke unless i deleted a 'referenced' directory:
When I build my addons/sharemovies, I like to keep the workfiles inside of a subdirectory of the Texture directories so i don't end up loosing any source material.... After building the *.addon it's then easy to delete directories...

I generally build on a win8.1 64bit laptop 4000 series integrated Graphics. Aspire s7 with SSD is a good little portable rig.

#10 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

After some effort I've got the launcher to install the .sharedmovie (a workaround for the bug I mentioned).

The animations:
3dt_chicken_eat seems ok in the modders workshop, but not as a gesture. I'm guessing that would be because it is dependent on animations for the root bone, which are partially ignored for gestures.
3dt_chicken_eat2 has problems even in the modders workshop with flying feet.
3dt_chicken_walk and 3dt_chicken_walk2 are on the spot walking animations, which is not so useful.

3dt_chicken_walk3 starts with a walk that covers distance, then goes into a pecking animation. Something like the first 1.1 seconds of the animation might make a good Gestures/Walk02_loop.CAF, which would allow the chicken to use 'Move Here' actions.

One quick change I tried is to change the ROOT assignment in the properties file to ROOT=Bip01
This results in the eat and idle gestures keeping the chickens feet on the ground. You might try doing the initial import of the skeleton just from Bip01 down - this would need re-exports of the skeleton, the meshes and the animations.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#11 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (tree @ Nov 14 2013, 3:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure how the sharemovie broke unless i deleted a 'referenced' directory:

Somehow it was using an indexed jar file rather than one where the manifest was automatically the first entry; this might have happened by loading it in a zip program and editing it, or by changing stuff while it was building, or something else I'm not aware of. I've changed to code to be able to handle them if any more end up like that, anyway.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#12 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Nov 15 2013, 2:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After some effort I've got the launcher to install the .sharedmovie (a workaround for the bug I mentioned).

One quick change I tried is to change the ROOT assignment in the properties file to ROOT=Bip01
This results in the eat and idle gestures keeping the chickens feet on the ground. You might try doing the initial import of the skeleton just from Bip01 down - this would need re-exports of the skeleton, the meshes and the animations.

Chicken little's feet are on the ground... The sky isn't falling any more :-) .....

A great solution; about making the ROOT=Bip01 ; OhHoO! :-) Thanks Ben :-)
I Just changed the properties file and tested: Working well in-game.

I did think i was making errors by naming multiple labels in the properties file with the same bone EG spine01 was repeated 3 times.

Next step will make the new skeleton(many thanks for suggestion) and rebuild the animations upon the new skeleton.

Re the walking animations; they were just tests; am rebuilding all the animations,, building gate Gait animations also. The hope is no foot sliding and good blending.

Next update: chicken eating, idle and some simple walking (GateGait)....

#13 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

chicken can't walk yet; at least she's got some company... click above picture to open youtube video.

#14 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

He ain't nothing but a hound dawg! wink.gif

#15 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (tree @ Nov 14 2013, 5:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did think i was making errors by naming multiple labels in the properties file with the same bone EG spine01 was repeated 3 times.

I think that is fine, as long as they all make sense. I think it is a consequence of different programmers needing to know about the same bone, and not realizing that there was already a spec for it in the properties file.

Re the walking animations; they were just tests; am rebuilding all the animations,, building Gate animations also. The hope is no foot sliding and good blending.

Next update: chicken eating, idle and some simple walking (Gate)....

Gait - how someone walks or runs or shambles.
Gate - a section of fence that opens and closes like a door.
I think they are both pronounced the same, however.

Just saying, as the only gate animations we have in Moviestorm do not involve the characters, just the gate opening or closing.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#16 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Nov 19 2013, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just saying, as the only gate animations we have in Moviestorm do not involve the characters, just the gate opening or closing.

There is an "open gate" animation in MS? Just when you think you know everything.... rolleyes.gif

#17 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Nov 18 2013, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is an "open gate" animation in MS? Just when you think you know everything.... rolleyes.gif

Most of the gates in Garden Features open.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#18 65radius

65radius

Director

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (tree @ Nov 18 2013, 8:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

chicken can't walk yet; at least she's got some company... click above picture to open youtube video.

Speaking strictly as a user, I can hardly wait for the chickens to come home to roost! tongue.gif

#19 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

@ Ben; Thanks; Hope i can get my gaits right.
More on the 3DT_Chicken_puppet DEV:
Finally had some time today; built some idle breathing animation as (pecking the ground and looking around as the breathing animation...), prewalk00, walking loop, turn left,right and 180

Rough but
Wanting to know if it all works; Looks promising.

Click on picture to open video on in new window

The rooster and flying bird are animated props, not MS_Characters yet.

A few missing Animations in the Gait directories are showing up in the info file and a few crashes on character movement in game.... but generally holding together well

#20 Xolotl

Xolotl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 429 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

Tree-mendous.