• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:08 AM

I would love a walking in place gesture for MS puppets.. Has anyone ever done one? I saw mention of it in the forums, but it was an inquiry, not sure if anyone ever created the gesture. I'd be happy to compensate for the creator's time. Please PM me if you know of a solution or are interested in creating one! smile.gif

#2 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

Haven't seen one. But I HAVE seen an ice skating horse, so I'm sure it could be done.

#3 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 930 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:19 AM

I have a walking in play source file that could be imported into Moviestorm (If I can find it). The question I would have is what would want the arms to be doing? Would they be best in the idle pose so you can add your own animations. Also it's for a male only I believe.

#4 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE (Nahton @ Apr 30 2014, 2:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a walking in play source file that could be imported into Moviestorm (If I can find it). The question I would have is what would want the arms to be doing? Would they be best in the idle pose so you can add your own animations. Also it's for a male only I believe.

That would be amazing, and arms at rest is just fine, I can probably work the rest out with the stock gestures -- I was actually going to use the held spear addon, and the walking pose for the arms is a stationary hold.

I dont know how to import animations into MS but I can watch the tutorials and try to learn. If you can find your files then this sounds great - if not, then worries, and thanks for trying!

#5 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (iceaxe @ Apr 29 2014, 2:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haven't seen one. But I HAVE seen an ice skating horse, so I'm sure it could be done.

Haha, I almost spit out my Diet Mountain Dew smile.gif

#6 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (mattzart30 @ Apr 29 2014, 3:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would love a walking in place gesture for MS puppets.. Has anyone ever done one? I saw mention of it in the forums, but it was an inquiry, not sure if anyone ever created the gesture. I'd be happy to compensate for the creator's time. Please PM me if you know of a solution or are interested in creating one! smile.gif

Yes, I'm doing some for release soon, though it hasn't got anywhere good & fast yet ;-)
I'll know better by next week after doing a few more falling Animations for May release...

Tell me more of what can be done with In-place-animations for you?
If anybody else has good use for in-place-animations please speak up too :-)

Compensate for the creator's time? With $$$? for the hours of work that would go into it? A few hundred dollars just to get started....
Contribute with higher patronage and inspire with great movies will be a big bonus to me... though not really compensate for the time it would cost to be a commercial... unless their is big $$$ involved...

Cute Walk-in-place:

This is just one of the walks. Some are defeated, normal,running, or just plane silly.

Just One of many different Animations and props in Development for my Patrons...

#7 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1144 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:23 PM

Why would someone like to Walk In Place?

I hate treadmills

#8 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (keithlawrence @ Apr 30 2014, 8:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would someone like to Walk In Place?

I hate treadmills

Bahahaha! That's an awesome clip.

walking in place would help make mixing navmesh moves of animated prop characters in with MS puppets a little easier. I'm doing a military triumph for my ancient Rome opera and having a lot of difficulty mixing my animated prop walking soldiers in with MS puppets in a uniform way. Since they are marching in parade, I want them to be consistent. I was thinking I could make it work by having the MS puppets on the same nav meshes and have them walk in place.

#9 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (tree @ Apr 30 2014, 7:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I'm doing some for release soon, though it hasn't got anywhere good & fast yet ;-)
I'll know better by next week after doing a few more falling Animations for May release...

Tell me more of what can be done with In-place-animations for you?
If anybody else has good use for in-place-animations please speak up too :-)

Compensate for the creator's time? With $$$? for the hours of work that would go into it? A few hundred dollars just to get started....
Contribute with higher patronage and inspire with great movies will be a big bonus to me... though not really compensate for the time it would cost to be a commercial... unless their is big $$$ involved...

Cute Walk-in-place:

This is just one of the walks. Some are defeated, normal,running, or just plane silly.

Just One of many different Animations and props in Development for my Patrons...

Nice and exciting work, Tree! I'm glad I'm already signed up as a patron. smile.gif The walk in place I am looking for is for a soldier's march (for my ancient Roman guys). I'd be willing to pay a couple hundred for it, but I totally get that it isn't worth it if I'm the only one who would be using it.

Looking forward to the May release!

#10 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 930 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:45 PM

I was wondering what type of walk you might be looking for. This one is too casual I'm sure but here's the one I previously mentioned.

Walk In Place

#11 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

Walking in place (the military calls it mark time) can be very useful for many things including dance moves and military marches. It can be done with arms by your sides (non-moving) or with normal arm swing.

Here are a couple examples:
With arm swing

With stiff arms
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#12 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE (Nahton @ May 3 2014, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was wondering what type of walk you might be looking for. This one is too casual I'm sure but here's the one I previously mentioned.

Walk In Place

I am using Chris Ollis's animated soldier props, and it would be great to be able to mix in MS puppets, but because of the limitations with the way navmeshes move, I can't have navmeshes moving alongside walking MS puppets and have them align properly and proceed at identical speed. I was thinking of putting MS puppets ont he same navmesh with the props, but then they'd have to be walking in place.

The gait of the prop and the MS puppet need not be identical because of the way I am shooting the scene. There have been lots of other instances where I wish I had a walk in place gesture -- like having a group of 4 puppets standing at the 4 corners of a platform, carrying it. The platform needs to be on its own navmesh, but its impossible to get the MS puppets to stay in exact alignment with the moving platform, so the illusion is destroyed pretty quickly.

Ben mentioned, in the feedback forum, that this issue with the navmeshes might be resolved in the next patch, so that will probably open a lot of options as well.

Here's Chris's preview of the romans pack I'm using, the props are in the back:

http://www.moviestor...p...ost&id=2501

#13 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:26 AM

Hey!
That's Dexter in the back right..and Sinister in the left (Groaaaaan!) wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#14 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ May 4 2014, 2:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey!
That's Dexter in the back right..and Sinister in the left (Groaaaaan!) wink.gif

Attached Files

#15 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:32 AM

Depending on what you are looking for in movements, the actions portrayed so far by the MS puppets all look like they are actually walking but not actually walking in place. The feet move forward and then slide back on the ground. To actually walk in place you would have to do the step motion as shown in the links I provided above.

Like I said, all depends on what action you are actually looking for.

#16 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE (Harb40 @ May 4 2014, 3:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depending on what you are looking for in movements, the actions portrayed so far by the MS puppets all look like they are actually walking but not actually walking in place. The feet move forward and then slide back on the ground. To actually walk in place you would have to do the step motion as shown in the links I provided above.

Like I said, all depends on what action you are actually looking for.

Good point, Harb. Without speaking for others who might want the gesture for other uses, I am actually looking to create the illusion of a real MS walk, with the foot slliding on the ground. This way I can put the puppets on a navmesh with other animated prop characters whose animation is a walk that's meant to be used on a navmesh. So you are right, perhaps walk in place isn't the best descriptor, since it isn't meant to be seen without the illusion of forward movement.

The examples you gave would probably be more useful to more MSers than what I'm looking for, but then again ya never know. smile.gif

#17 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE (mattzart30 @ May 4 2014, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am actually looking to create the illusion of a real MS walk, with the foot slliding on the ground. This way I can put the puppets on a navmesh with other animated prop characters whose animation is a walk that's meant to be used on a navmesh.

Then what Nahton made up should work good for you.

I saw your previews and they look good. I'm not into opera but it does look interesting.

#18 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (Harb40 @ May 5 2014, 5:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then what Nahton made up should work good for you.

I saw your previews and they look good. I'm not into opera but it does look interesting.

Thanks! smile.gif