• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

There's been a lot of discussions in forums here about the inability of Blender to export animations. In some cases, maybe thats true, but I'm not convinced. I have a lot to learn, by sharing what we know and what our results of experiments have been, I think Blender could be used for anything in MS.
SO...
-------------------FEEL FREE TO JOIN THE BLENDER PARTY------------------

1) TIP
Something I just discovered about Blender animations, maybe this is old news but it was news to me... if I resize or change an armature like rotate it as an object, the exported result in Moviestorm is an unusable mess. But if it is not rotated or resized, and Reacher's procedures are followed for an animated prop export, then Blender outputs the animations just fine. The animated prop works fine in MS.

Question:
'MOCAP in MS' demonstrated that mocap data, imported & exported through Blender will work in MS. So I wonder if the original MS armatures in Max or 3DS format could be read into Blender without resize & rotate data applied, maybe then animations could be exported successfully for gestures from Blender to MS...?

huh.gif

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

Count me in! I keep startihg to learn Blender then fall off the learning curve because there seems no real point as I can't easily get things into MS. But from what I have seen it can do everything I would need and is a little cheaper than 3ds Max .
For those of you unfamiliar with Blender I created this "Rocket" following an online tutorial after a couple of days. So it is not totally impossible wink.gif

Attached Files

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Wow, nice work Primaveranz.
Yeah Blender is a little cheaper... rolleyes.gif
Are you using 3dsmax too? It would be interesting to test the differences, see if theres a way of converting the original max format MS models to preserve their UV maps as well as the skeletons. The UV mapping is a mess on the ones in Blender format, so I have no way to properly duplicate the MS characters in Blender, should they need blowing up or whatever.

Animated prop for 'Quarry' just in...

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

That looks superb!
No,sadly I can't afford Max...yet wink.gif

I don't know if it helps (you probably know this already) but there is a mismatch in the orientations used in e.g. Milkshape and Moviestorm (others too I believe). If you do your UV Mapping in Milkshape you have to flip the texture Horizintally and then rotate it 180 degrees to get it correctly aligned in the Modders Workshop.

#5 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Not so Blender. Blender outputs the UVs no problem. Provided one knows how to set them up in Blender that is. A common mistake I used to make was forgetting to set the material display to UV and not "Orco" which is the default.
Nice car work, btw... are they going to be full driving cars with turning wheels? The only cars I made the wheels don't turn cuz I didn't have "General cars" addon.
Now that I do, I can't mod them cuz they don't show up in the modders workshop. I don't know if its because Im on a Mac now or thats the way they're supposed to be, and theres a new way of modding... or what...

#6 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (bongoman @ Sep 9 2012, 04:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not so Blender. Blender outputs the UVs no problem. Provided one knows how to set them up in Blender that is. A common mistake I used to make was forgetting to set the material display to UV and not "Orco" which is the default.
Nice car work, btw... are they going to be full driving cars with turning wheels? The only cars I made the wheels don't turn cuz I didn't have "General cars" addon.
Now that I do, I can't mod them cuz they don't show up in the modders workshop. I don't know if its because Im on a Mac now or thats the way they're supposed to be, and theres a new way of modding... or what...

Yeah they wil be drivable but no lights as yet. BTW I posted an answer on the other thread re modding, I hope it helps.

#7 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

Cool, very very cool, I can see we have lots to learn from each other. Corthew gave me a tip about the new way modders workshop is set up, so I downloaded the workshop addon late last night, haven't installed it yet.
They have put a lot of work into making the program run faster, and coming from v 1.1.7, what a difference... smart idea to modularize the program to increase speed performance the way they did. I just want to make it look beautiful.

I used Milkshape ages ago when modding characters into UT2004, but haven't used it since. I have heard from a pretty reliable source that FBX converter (a free program from Autodesk) can "fix" the orientation problems with Blender animation output... but I've been away from Moviestorm so long that maybe there's another, easier way; I've read some encouraging things about Misfit being a decent bridge from Blender to MS, but haven't tried it yet.

#8 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (bongoman @ Sep 10 2012, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool, very very cool, I can see we have lots to learn from each other.

I learned most of what I know about modding from people like Chris Ollis, Reacher, Rampa, Nahton and Poulet Noir (apologies to anyone I missed) and from falling down every pothole on the road wink.gif You are probably going to get more useful stuff out of them than me!

#9 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

Lol Do you think I learnt any other way?

#10 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1144 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Sep 10 2012, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I learned most of what I know about modding from people like Chris Ollis, Reacher, Rampa, Nahton and Poulet Noir (apologies to anyone I missed)

It´s ok. I´ll forgive you

laugh.gif

#11 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

laugh.gif

#12 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

After installing Corthew's excellent invisible floortile, there was nothing else left to do but this.
Finally a decent environment sphere.

I am setting it up so anyone can make a panorama in Bryce & easily apply it to the sphere.
Bryce 7 Pro is free, get it if you haven't already, its easy & handy.

I made the sphere in Blender, reversed the normals to face inward, boned it & exported it.

#13 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:21 AM

Cool as!

#14 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

That's awesome!

#15 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thx, guys.
I found that Bryce 7 renders pretty quick if you turn off anti-aliasing, which actually improves the look of the panorama, making it less fuzzy (MS anti-aliases everything anyway). This image was rendered at 3840 x 1440.
Bryce can also export terrains, complete with textures too, so I made a few terrains... I won't clutter this thread with mod demos, sorry about the previous post... I made a thread for my mod projects, and I'll try to stick to the subject I originally started out with...Blender!

And now a quick word about Bryce... blink.gif
Technically, Bryce is a breeze to use. To make panoramas, enter 'document setup' choose panorama, choose the size (minimum 1920 for decent images), then choose 'Panorama' from the tick next to the move/rotate ball thingy you use to look around the 3d space, and render.
If the image seems crooked, its because the position of the camera is defaulted at a 3/4 view, not flat on the horizon. Select it, click the 'A' and type in 0 on everything to make it flat with land, etc. Go to camera view and adjust it up, cuz it will be at ground zero.

#16 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

I noticed that animated textures don't seem to work when applied to bodyparts. Anyone get this to work...? The option is available in the materials menu...

#17 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (bongoman @ Oct 21 2012, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I noticed that animated textures don't seem to work when applied to bodyparts. Anyone get this to work...? The option is available in the materials menu...

I don't think it will work; I've found a character specific bit of code that resets all the animators, and does not add back in the UVAnimator for the character.

I've added in a line to make it work; might be a while before there is a suitable patch, though.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#18 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Awesome, thanks Ben!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users