21 replies to this topic

#1 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:12 AM

Morph body costume development.
The Limits and asking for any improvement in the code shown below.

'Morph bodies'  done before within the MovieStorm afterDark addon, so I have 1 old reference on how to build-up the code, though maybe there is a better way in the latest MovieStorm build??
Any suggestions or better coding Ben? (bodypart file included below)

I would like to start with a 'Basic" Low Poly female (pictured below) as the key-point to draping and developing morphable costumes in my dev. software. Then exporting a set of morph-able costumes variations ready to code as morph-able "costumes"  to reflect the various possible body shape differences.

Accessories as clothing doesn't "MORPH" within MovieStorm but making a few 'bodyparts' accessories (from the already made morph clothing mesh) should only take a short time extra to include as options.

Clothing has no physics and pushing the original skin away from it's original spot may have some strange outcomes but It should give a better subtle styling to the costumes I make for the basic Male01/Female01 bodies.

Also Working within the limits of the set Neck-seam weights/positions and basic standard body parts positions limits; I think I could still make an interesting set of clothing. 

Below the bodyPart code for the basic female01 Morphable Body:

morphbodycodeokquest.jpg

Building A morph body I seem to come across a limit in the amount of possible body morph shapes of 4 variations;
 Putting a "VARIANT5" extra variation just didn't show up within the moddersWorkshop.

If i get the code wrong (....) and save the costume to stock; when i go to reload a saved morphed costume it would crash with a HUD error... Though with the present code... I can't reproduce any HUD crashes.

Maybe there is a better way to code 'bodypart' code as shown above. Any suggestions? Or maybe there is a costume (other then the afterDark male01/female01 Nudes to learn the code..... Or Ben has a better alternative code to write in.

The full bodypart file (contained here for download) can be downloaded if it could help.

Below a WIP on a morph-able_body:

Note: This is an older WorkInProgress.. some skinning fixes already.

#2 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:43 AM

Very interesting. I think this looks great!.

#3 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

Very interesting. I think this looks great!.

moremorphcha94.jpg
It's just the beginning.
That's 3 Morph bodies above made up of 15 different skinned mesh (Skinny, stocky, Flat-Chest, Buff, PushUp, Normal).
No crashes nor any neck-seam issues seen on basic animations.
Extra skin weighting is needed; Any material that leaves the body is troublesome to blend;  

From the code above... I've added a 5th variant (the one with 'region reference'); replacing the normal (the base morph mesh) with a 'skinny' variant.

I'm hoping that Ben,
could have a look over the code (above in the first post) and suggest anything better.

#4 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

The morph regions are:

BASE, FULL, NOSE, EAR, JAW, CHIN, CHEEKBONE, CHEEK, MOUTH, MOUTH_HEIGHT, BROW, EYEBROW, EYES, EYELASHES, NECK, VARIANT1, VARIANT2, VARIANT3, VARIANT4;

I think you can use the facial ones on a body morph, too - you might get an icon for them, to the left of the morph slider. BASE gets special behaviour, as far as I remember.

Chis made some peasants, which are available on Moddingstorm, which have morph targets (so you can have fat peasants and starving peasants).

Your xml looks much as I might expect; I don't think there is a different way of doing it other than creating the xml.

Can confirm that accessories never got any UI to allow them to morph, sorry.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#5 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:05 PM

The morph regions are:

BASE, FULL, NOSE, EAR, JAW, CHIN, CHEEKBONE, CHEEK, MOUTH, MOUTH_HEIGHT, BROW, EYEBROW, EYES, EYELASHES, NECK, VARIANT1, VARIANT2, VARIANT3, VARIANT4;

I think you can use the facial ones on a body morph, too - you might get an icon for them, to the left of the morph slider. BASE gets special behaviour, as far as I remember.

Chis made some peasants, which are available on Moddingstorm, which have morph targets (so you can have fat peasants and starving peasants).

Your xml looks much as I might expect; I don't think there is a different way of doing it other than creating the xml.

Can confirm that accessories never got any UI to allow them to morph, sorry.

Many Thanks Ben,

Extra Morphs! ;-)  Much Extra work (time in Dev.) though the results are much better than a single static body shape.

Head morphs are great; I'm taking the same idea/ideal into body shapes (costumes) within the limits of static neck-attachments and overall bone placements.

BASE morph options has got me curious; just how special it can be....?

I'm not that sure on how textures (spec,normal,diffuse) morph between 'variants', and how to setup the XML code; especially on multi-textured morphs: a costume with around 11 textures within a mesh.

? What is my BaseNormalMap xml-code when there is a set of normals to make up the base morph mesh?

#6 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:19 PM

It is possible that the BASE morph region and the base normal map are relics from an earlier version of the morph xml than you are copying from. I think you need a value in the base normal map, but it may not do anything.

It may also be the case that only material 0 gets blended textures via the morphing. I think other materials will just be taken from the material selection as usual. I think the support for normal map morphing was primarily to allow wrinkly skin for older characters.

It might be worth trying a decal; it might let one have body tattoos. Think they probably only apply to material 0.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#7 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

It is possible that the BASE morph region and the base normal map are relics from an earlier version of the morph xml than you are copying from. I think you need a value in the base normal map, but it may not do anything.

It may also be the case that only material 0 gets blended textures via the morphing. I think other materials will just be taken from the material selection as usual. I think the support for normal map morphing was primarily to allow wrinkly skin for older characters.

It might be worth trying a decal; it might let one have body tattoos. Think they probably only apply to material 0.

Decals: yes, that will be a great option.

I don't recall any costumes that have decals to use as reference (any suggestions?)

I'm guessing I'll just have to learn/ reference from the head decals xml code from the stock Base MovieStorm addon.

#8 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:56 AM

More updates: Kimono_rebuilt to full quad mesh (skinning was a nightmare with some triangular mesh on the skirt area not deforming well.) and  to be able to define and tailor the trim to any texture/colour:

kimonov2dem.jpg

THe more skinning irregularities, the more shadows will generate hard edges in-game.

If there is hard-edge shadows on the skirt area with certain light angles, it's easy to cut back on the darker parts of the shadow to soften it out a bit; especially with the 3 lights mode....

The kimono (as with the other morph bodies) are made up of about 5 mesh costumes to define the different shapes within the DressingRoom in-game. The file size of the above single mesh is 0.3Meg

Skinning the long dress took much longer than the skinny 'jeans & shirt' outfit because of the extra bone influences upon the skirt between the legs.

The shoes in the above video are just an accessory for all the barefeet morph dress. 

Later I can make more shoe accessories and can always make some of the feet invisible with extra textures.

; The above costumes (from video above) out soon for all successful rewards 3DTree active patreons (May2015) 10 and above.

#9 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:39 PM

That is insanely great...!!!! Bravo

#10 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:35 PM

Terrific! It's a start but a very promising one. A much needed addition to MS.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#11 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:31 AM

maleshortsNmuscleskrtSML.png
Another male contemporary Morphable costume in the works above: 
Much Skinning to do but here is a workable pose/animation on this costume:

Shoes are accessory and not morphable.
here's the shoes in action:

#12 ricscar

ricscar

Novice director

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:49 AM

TERRIFIC!!!

Looks like my dreams are becoming reality!!!

Tx Tree for your hard work :-)

#13 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:38 AM

More dev on the Male01 morphable costumes above.

malepeswithComp.jpg

I'm building an extra option/character costume for composite use (the green guy on the left in the above video shares the same options as the middle costume) on one of the characters above.

This (middle) male character is also anatomically correct () (also the dress pulls up) or not (flush or showing) set within the dressing room. 

Torso hidden skin area can also can be turned off (transparent) when not needed.

Both have can morph their weight within the dressing room too.

#14 ricscar

ricscar

Novice director

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:17 AM

this is the kind of addon that makes me wanting to renew my subscription to MS :-)

Wonderful job Tree!

#15 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:24 AM

this is the kind of addon that makes me wanting to renew my subscription to MS :-)

Wonderful job Tree

Thanks,

MovieStorm is a very reasonable price to just buy a permanent once off licence IMO.

It may not be Next_Gen or even AAA, it's got some great ideas at its Core to keep on enjoying the Director-centric CG MovieMaking program.

I can't make the higher poly realistic costumes nor reflect anything like fabric movement: so a lot of costumes are not going to have focus.... Though still leaves room for a good scope of costumes:

More WIP on Male01 Morphable Costumes:

Another glimpse in on some of the work I'm doing on building male01 costumes.
The above models are 5k poly,that's about 460k mesh file size per morph (the lower bodies were made with 2k bodies + clothing parts)

Much nicer, for the hero characters having the extra definition without too much impact; as occluded skin parts (under the clothing) will be deleted.

IMO:The bodies above make a better template for putting clothing on.
As to building genitalia, it's probably best to go for accessories rather than built in to the basic body; reduces poly count.

It's early days on this 5k poly nude male body as you can see (if you view HD1080p) there is a skin tone problem mixing with the head mesh tone and normals are out somewhat. and Normals need more work too.

MS is a very slow platform to build any content and more so for costumes , whereas this character below I  built and ready to use easily in an afternoon: 
Untitled.gif

I would like to build my completed FBX  above costume into a MovieStorm costume: Requires many hours of work to convert for a moviestorm costume. Could be a good looking costume....

#16 BrianGray

BrianGray

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:03 PM

Nice work tree...

realistic moves and clothes make a great difference. Just being able to mix and match tops, bottoms and shoes within what we have would be a nice addition to MS.

Brian 

#17 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:03 AM

Nice work tree...

realistic moves and clothes make a great difference. Just being able to mix and match tops, bottoms and shoes within what we have would be a nice addition to MS.

Brian 

Thanks Brian,

Every change in a 'mix & Match" is a new costume with it's own unique skinning and mesh and sometimes textures. It's nice how some AAA games have fostered that option in their character dressing-rooms.

Mix and match tops and bottoms costume parts (*accessories) don't work in any practical ways in-game;extra system impact,new opacity textures on occluded parts and no morphablity on accessories within MovieStorm.

Also Occluded parts are best deleted rather then just made invisible in a dev. software. 

You may get away with higher poly characters in some other programs (); MovieStorm doesn't have that luxury without seriously impacting the system:

The usable limit is very low at 1-14k poly count, keeping the mesh cal3d mesh file size smaller then 1meg: EG the nude body above is .5meg... the original body (0.9meg) including the head just 'blue-screened/crashed' MovieStorm in the moddersworkshop; was unusable even though it was only 10k poly 17k verts:

I then cut off the head and edited the neck verts to match MS's morphable head verts = changed it down to 5k; resulting a usable costume.

A seamless body to head skinning requires matching head to body verts and skinning values. Anything slightly off and you will loose your head! ;-)

I've tried some clothing as accessories but didn't like the results; was also more troublesome in-game and in dev. too. 

People are going to see the accessory and try to put it onto an incompatible character/costume or have to spend extra time in editing the base mesh textures to accommodate the accessories;

it detracts from the director-centric fun 'point and click' nature of building a character in-game.

If versatility introduces complexity then it's counter to it's intended use. 

With All the above said; I can still offer the illusion of mix-and match by 'costumes grouping' so people can click on a costume and open a sub-screen that holds the costume variations.

#18 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:31 AM

Neck seams require perfect matching vertices placement, skinning, smoothing and also angle-of lower polygons to transition the smoothing well enough. 

A morphed costume (body) connecting 1 polygon angle below the neck can't really be changed that much if you want to keep good smoothing; So Things like thicker/thinner necks are not a real option. 

Raising/lowering the 1 polygon area below the neck will mostly mess up the neck-seam-smoothness; so only subtle changes can be made. 

A 4K poly body I'm still not happy with the skinning and some mesh topology :still a work in progress:

wip_medpolbody.jpg

Below 2k poly body wearing leathers in the character costume I'm building:

letherstoplesstestkr.jpg

Note: Topless in his leather trousers. 

Fingers: Within the static bone positions, the fingers appear to have better volume; lots of room for improvements; like having some muscle wasting in the thumb fixed and some better mesh shaping (within the very low poly model) to bring out the segmented nature of a finger...

Chest: Can now subtly improve the 'Stocky' (obese) look with some extra chest augmentations, with a few extra loops around the chest, allowing for a more natural bulging.

Putting the morphable costumes to the test; looking for short-falls like neck seam detachment, smooth blending along with skinning irregularities... 

See what you think below:

Not show above; the T-shirt part/texture can be re-coloured or made invisible to appear like he is only wearing the jacket and trousers; showing off his chest.

Feet can be made invisible for accessory shoes additions also.

#19 ricscar

ricscar

Novice director

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

Hi Tree! Excuse my impatience but what plans do you have for this

beatiful addon ?

Best!

#20 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hi Tree! Excuse my impatience but what plans do you have for this
beatiful addon ?

Best!

Are you asking about a Marketplace (Sales) for my  moviestorm content or content for my patreon rewards?

I'm working on a few of the male costumes for my Patreon's rewards groups for the end of june2015.

leather4walker.gif

Still working on a better beard accessory:
beard03dev1.png