• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 czechboysonic

czechboysonic

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:57 AM

(Posting in multiple forums - here and '3rd Party Tools' - coz I don't know where it 'sits' better - maybe both)

So ... Unreal Engine 4 is now free to all devs (with a 5% royalty payable on gross profits above $3000 USD per product).

Moviestorm 2.0 time ? I used to love MS (even if I was never THAT active on forums, as evidenced by the measly 300-odd posts count despite being a 'Pioneer') but haven't used it in a few years now (and not just because having twin toddlers means my 'free' time is severly limited, I have barely enough 'free time' left to myself to play GTA-V once or twice a week when the kids have gone to bed).

It's looking increasingly 'dated' and development pace seems to crawl ever slower every year. Would a 'reboot' to using UE4 be the 'shot in the arm' MS needs to 'resurrect' what - at least to me - seems an increasingly 'irrelevant' piece of tech, no matter how fondly I think back to the early days (especially when you consider the 'competition' in terms of things like Source filmmaker) ?

Thoughts ... from the 'regulars' and MS staff alike ... would be appreciated !

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:19 AM

Looking at the mess that Muvizu got into trying to develop on the Unreal engine (with what seemed to be a pretty large dev team ) I doubt it. 

Years ago there was talk of porting MS to Unity. That would have been wonderful but sadly the money wasn't there to do it. 

For all its limitations MS still allows far easier control of Avatar movement and I would also argue Cameras to allow you to have a good bash at creating a story, than any of the competitors I have seen.

If only....

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

I still shake my head about Muvizu... seems such a waste. Ut2k4 and UT3 already had a cinematic mod that i have used to "film" scenes. Why choose to create such ugly avatars with such a tool is beyond me. I would love to see MS built on the Unreal engine, using the UDK e4. Someone will eventually, the UDK is surprisingly easy to use (from a game designer perspective). There are numerous tutorials on importing static and skeletal meshes into UT & UDK. However, the only model of MS characters available to my knowledge is a rigged mesh of one male and 1 female MS character, with the UV maps messed up... otherwise i would have modded some MS charaters into UT3 and UT2K4 long ago.
The big issue is speech in UT. I still havent been able to figure how to use the speech engine in UT3 or UT2K4, havent even looked to see if its implemented in the UDK... i suspect not, because the speech engine i encountered was third party.
Ms has a lot of life in it yet though, because its so easy to use, relatively easy to mod, which makes for fast turnaround. I have found that timing is more important than top quality in my business, as long as clients know what to expect.

#4 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:22 AM

I'm actually downloadong UE4 right now, it's a 4.4 GB file though.

I remember Muvizu, I downloaded and gave it a shot several years ago and never really liked the program, liked Moviestorm better.

Iclone is the only movie software that can be put in the same league as Moviestorm, it has more features than Moviestorm and more content packs but costs a heck of a lot more.

#5 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:25 PM

I bought Iclone a while back, but returned it for a refund, purchased crazytalk. It seemed the only one worth the money, but even a few years later, i rarely use it. The whole package appears to me to be a moneygrab.
Probably just my own preference, but i find MS easier & quicker to use.