dalek moving

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 coolwebranger

coolwebranger

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Walking Football, Bowls, Playing Keyboard (badly), Grandchildren, Motor homing with fabulous wife, Supporting Southampton FC, Bird watching, Photography (ex professional photographer), Walking moors, hills and rivers, too little time, so much to do.

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:15 PM

Hi. I downloaded Moviestorm very recently so have latest software. I downloaded the excellent dr who set from modding creator but cant get dalek to move. Help please

regards

dennis

#2 mloakley

mloakley

Master Director

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:52 PM

Hi there,

welcome, and to move dalek, inside the directors view, put your mouse on him, left click and hold down the shift key at the same time, then drag him in the direction you want.

You may or may not know, but here is Moviestorm's youtube page, which may be useful as well.

sincerely,

~M

#3 coolwebranger

coolwebranger

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Walking Football, Bowls, Playing Keyboard (badly), Grandchildren, Motor homing with fabulous wife, Supporting Southampton FC, Bird watching, Photography (ex professional photographer), Walking moors, hills and rivers, too little time, so much to do.

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

That's really helpful. I hadnt realised shift button did that - same as car but i wasn't listening properly to the turorial. Very helpful and such a fast response thank you.

y other problem is getting people to interct with cars, entering, sittind down, talking to pssenger through open windows in car, open window doors etc. Is that possible?

also possibly filming conversations inside the car

regards

dennis (learning slowly but enjoying)

#4 mloakley

mloakley

Master Director

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:13 PM

I'll post some links to how to get ppl to sit in cars, etc.

this posts shows how, but you have to hide the chair (right click on chair in directors view, click hide) but of course you'll have to fiddle with positioning the chairs after the puppets are sitting in them, going back to Workshop View to do this: http://www.moviestor...c=10268&p=70742

To get the car with ppl in it to move,I believe you have to use Nahton's navmesh, by placing the car, and chairs on this. You can grab a copy of the navmesh here: http://www.moviestor...l=+riding +cars

Once eveything is on it, then you can slide the navmesh in the direction you want to go. Or if you don't want to use the navmesh to move everything, you can certainly just place your car with your ppl on the chairs, and use green screen as a background and edit in your video editor. Just use close up shots, experiment. You can certainly film them in the car once you get to Camerawork View. Click on the puppet to the Left and choose your shot.

Windows don't roll up or down. But you can fake it, by having a window sound like it's rolling down but not filming it, go to the shot after the sound effect. 

But when you have them enter the car, you can't shoot that part as they'll go thru the car instead. You have to film after they are in the car. You can edit that part out in cutting room view.

Here you can view some examples of green screening, one is a night shot, so you don't see the characters from a distance, and while they are sitting still,can do closeups shots of them in the car, etc. I have one scene where it seems like the window is going down, even tho it's a night shot, it shows how it seems like it's happening. Hope all this helps. Clever film shots will be helpful, it's all about the illusion of what's going on.

Driving Examples ETC

Good luck, and always feel free to ask if you need help on anything, we'll help if we can.

~M

#5 coolwebranger

coolwebranger

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:05 PM

Thats so helpful, thankyou. I will spend some time learning that. I keep coming up. Stuff to work out and have solved some problems. I have written a short movie script which I think is a pretty good idea and will also help me to learn how to do stuff.

I am looking at how to build exterior bar, shop and hotel which shouldnt be too difficult if most buildings are customisable. Ive worked out that the talk show props are great for hotel lobby and other interiors.

I am looking for a hamburger stand but will look to see if a van can be customised with a window hatch etc.

I need a concert hall exterior and sports stadium exterior but will probably find a building to customise. Finally I need police cars (stock asset) and fire trucks and stuff for a major fire.

Final scene is heaven pearly gates environment but I can customise stuff for that.

A whole lot of work ahead but Im in love with the project idea so enthusiasm and some help from you guys will get me there Im sure.

Thanks again
Dennis

#6 mloakley

mloakley

Master Director

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:25 PM

They do have a Law & Order that has police cars here

http://www.moviestor...tent_pack?id=29

Just purchase some MSP, and have you checked inside the Vault for free addons? 

Other packs here:

http://www.moviestor...ent_packs?cat=1

Vault here: 

No one is able to upload anymore here, but please do share your movies via a link from Vimeo or YouTube if you'd like.

Have fun!

#7 coolwebranger

coolwebranger

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:48 PM

That's fantastic help and I am so grateful. I do have all the content packs so am able to root through those for loads of stuff, but the Vault is something I wasn't aware of and looks a brilliant resource. Some of them are fairly old so do I assume that some wont work too well in latest software edition or are these all tried and tested. Trial and error I guess.

Thank you so much for your help.

Dennis

#8 mloakley

mloakley

Master Director

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:29 PM

You are very welcome, glad I could help, the addons are all tried and tested.  :)

When you make a movie only use the addons you need, if you install them all at one time your MS will crash.  Always save while creating in MS. To take out addons you aren't using, just delete (hold onto the addon to install again) OR cut the folder from the addon folder and paste to another place on your computer, and if you need that addon again in the future, just make a copy back into the addon folder or install again. To find this addon folder go to C:/user(your name)/Moviestorm/Addons.  You'll find all the addons in there.

#9 coolwebranger

coolwebranger

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for that - useful info as I have all the content packs.

Some of the new mod content add ons, like the Dr Who Daleks & Tardis for instance I have saved in a separate file to install at any time. I installed the Dr Who set and I see them as objects in the objects listing when I open MS objects so I can add them to a scene, but I dont actually see the Dr Who add on in the addon folder in Moviestorm add on folder but I do see the original ones.

Are you saying that I need to move the 'unneeded default content packs' out of the ADDON folder to a holding folder as well for my project to prevent it crashing?

There may be some actions, objects or characters in those packs that I need but hadn't realised were there, although I guess some historical content packs wont be needed in my project which is set in modern day times. Am I reading you correctly.

I do have a new PC which has good spec, masses of data storage, fast GPU 64 bit windows and 16Gb RAM

best wishes

Dennis

#10 mloakley

mloakley

Master Director

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:02 PM

I'm sorry I should have been a bit more specific. The packs by Moviestorm are all fine to leave, I meant the 3rd party addons form the Vault. Too many of those and MS will crash. Sorry for the misinformation.

~M

#11 coolwebranger

coolwebranger

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for clarifying M.

Strange that I dont see the mod files in Addons folder, but I installed a couple from a holding folder elsewhere and they have loaded fine I would have thought they would have shown in the Adobe folder in moviestorm folders but they dont, so maybe not an issue the way that I am installing them.

You have been extremely helpful M.

I will take a while to finish my Q project but will make sure I contact you when its done so you can see the results of my first effort, which your contribution of advice will have helped immensely. You probably deserve a credit :-)

Best wishes Dennis

#12 coolwebranger

coolwebranger

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:18 PM

I meant add on not adobe (predictive text)

Sorry

#13 mloakley

mloakley

Master Director

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:42 PM

As long as it's working, you should be good to go.

Have fun and enjoy making movies with MS. Thank you, but no need for  a mention unless you really want to.  ;)

I've only had MS for about a yr now, and still enjoy it. I make a weekly series. As well as mods and some new animations, which are the mloakley_animations in the Vault. jamm has some great animations as well you may find useful. I can't recall all the 3rd party animation addons, but some great ones created by MS'ers over the yrs as well as new mods for MS. There are new hairstyles called F New Pony.addon which is a ponytail with several colors. If you install, you can find the new hair in Hair & Hats in the Dressing Room View.

Look forward to your Q project.