• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IceFox

IceFox

Moviegoer

• Pioneers
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:27 AM

I noticed the mainsite uses .wmv for video streams. However a lot of people have slower internet and to load such hi-res movies in a .wmv could take...forever. Some sites, such as youtube, convert the video to .flv but then the quality is lower and those with fast internet can't watch the .wmv

I think that you should go the blip.tv method. Have it convert the .wmv into a .flv and allow the viewer to select which format to view it in.

#2 DarkRaideR

DarkRaideR

Moviegoer

• Pioneers
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

as an alternative FLV would be ok but like you said caused by the poor
quality, its not a good option when all those hard work is presented in
an FLV, the viewers remember even the best film only that it was
awful to view IMHO

#3 Trinity

Trinity

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:36 AM

Generally, speaking, I'd prefer to see a divx option, as that file format has now become universal on all platforms: pc, mac, linux, and various handhelds from pocket pcs to smartphones to palmos.

And of course, there will be those who will be rooting for QuickTime when it comes to the various types of desktops and laptops. QT sure makes video look good.

As for .flv, they don't have to look 'crappy', even though many often do. I found this very helpful tutorial:

How To Make YouTube Videos Look Great
http://www.squidoo.com/youtuberight/

It's subtitled: My High Resolution Videos Look Terrible in YouTube, Why?
Writer / Producer / Director

DIGIPENDENCE.com - my blog about 3D moviemaking, machinima, animation, cinematic design, sequential art, graphic novels, web comix, fan films, and independent film, video & photo production.