13 replies to this topic

#1 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:37 AM

Hi Guys.

As I have just been bestoed the honour of Pioneer status, I thought that I should give somthing back to the community, so I have written and introduction tutorial to the basics of modding moviestorm. This tutorial is aimed at new users who want to get into modding. If this tutorial can help just 1 person on the road of modding, then I will be a happy man.

I have written this mod in PDF for easy navigation.

PS: A sticky would be nice

forumsig.png

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:09 AM

Hi Andy,

Good idea, this will be very useful for those starting out.

It might be worth mentioning that really large images are not necessary e.g. a lot of people use Digital cameras set on the highest settings and end up with images of 2 or 3Mb. You can reduce the size to a fraction of this using something like "XP Power Tools Image Resizer" which is free, which will massively reduce the addon size.

You also have a few typos. In Step 1 "avalible" and in Section 2 "Know that you have.." should be "Now that you have..."

One thing that used to drive me nuts when I started, was importing a model only to have MW crash because although I had "Saved as" SU6, I might make a last minute change and press "Save" which will save your SU6 model in whichever version your are using e.g SU7 or SU8, so might be worth pointing that out.

Cheers.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1144 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (andy_price @ Dec 19 2010, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this tutorial can help just 1 person on the road of modding, then I will be a happy man.

I have written this mod in PDF for easy navigation.

Wow great. I might be that person. But is there a way to download it? It seems that I only can read it in the browser.
Thank you for doing this work.

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

Are you using Internet Explorer? It has an annoying habit of opening things like PDFs and MOVs rather than downloading them (depends on your settings of course). But if so try Firefox and it should let you download it OK.

#5 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1144 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Dec 19 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you using Internet Explorer? It has an annoying habit of opening things like PDFs and MOVs rather than downloading them (depends on your settings of course). But if so try Firefox and it should let you download it OK.

Thanks. That did it

#6 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the response guys

I have corrected the two typos, and added the two notes you mentioned

forumsig.png

#7 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

Excellent and so helpful to new users as it is difficult to explain to someone on the forums how to use the Modder's Workshop and of course how to use Sketchup. A good way to get used to using Sketchup if you have never used a 3d modeling program is to choose a model from 3d warehouse and look at how it is built, even rebuild the same model on the same page while looking at the model. That gets you used to using all the tools. Also there are lots of great tutorials on 3d warehouse. Just do a search on 3d warehosue for tutorials and you will find ones on how top do cars, photo realing and a lot more that are helpful.

#8 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (andy_price @ Dec 19 2010, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS: A sticky would be nice

And thoroughly deserved.

This is a really great tutorial Andy - nice work! You might want to consider adding a liberal license to the pdf, just to make it clear that the file is free for distribution. Unless you have anything specific in mind, might I recommend a Creative Commons license? That'll let you maintain ownership of the tutorial whilst still allowing other people to download and redistribute it freely. That's the same license we use for the Moviestorm Manual.
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#9 POVMachinima

POVMachinima

Wannabe film-maker

• Pioneers
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

Thanks so much for this tut! I was able to make my very first object and get it into MS. smile.gif
Formerly Decorgal Productions.

#10 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

Glad you found it helpfull

1 new modder because of my tutorial = 1 happy andy

forumsig.png

#11 musaytr

musaytr

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (andy_price @ Jun 21 2011, 8:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad you found it helpfull

1 new modder because of my tutorial = 1 happy andy

Hi Andy,

I am new to moviestorm and modding issues and I try to get as much information as possible through various sources, but I couldn't manage to find your tutorial file in nowhere. Is it possible you that can be helpful about that? Thanks anyhow.

Mustafa

#12 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

Have you watched these already Mustafa? http://www.moviestor....uk/hub/modding

#13 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

To my horror - the link is dead. No PDF file to download. Even the link on Moviestorm's web page for a 15 page manual is a dead end link. :-(

#14 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

Nice one! Thanks Andy.
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--