Photo

What content or themes do you wish MS had? What makes your creative side tick?

content packs wish list daydreaming

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:21 AM

I'm curious what everyone's wish lists look like these days.   This thread topic has been brought up now and again over the years, I see, and I'm curious where this stands now.  If you had to pick the top two bundles or specific content offerings you wish MS had, what would they be?

One of the things I've realized in commissioning mods that are well beyond my own modding skills is it is (understandably) not so easy to get a modder into the project if there isn't much prospect of further demand.  This seems reasonable given the vast amount of time quality work in this area takes, even for the skilled veteran.    I've worked with a few amazing, dedicated modders so far and I have never been disappointed.  When Chris did the Romans pack for me, one of the things that made me happy about working with him was that other MSers could have access to a whole new world of movie possibilities, and at the time, it looked to me like that hadn't really happened in a while.   Now, perhaps "If you build it, they will come" was a little naive of me, but while I think Chris did amazing, stunning, and inspiring work --- work that far surpassed my expectations -- I was also secretly hoping it would jolt other people's excitement in the same way.     No matter what the monetary terms of the commission, I'd want such a complete pack to be available to all MSers and to, in some small way at least, expand the MS palette and provide at least a little extra gravy for the modder. 

So... what do you want on your palette?  Don't feel the need to be circumspect or pragmatic.  I'm curious about what inspiring things you'd love to have more so than what functional pieces you are annoyed are missing  (i.e., I am annoyed that there are two very limited kneeling animations, but having a kneeling pack wouldn't exactly inspire my imagination, it'd just make me less annoyed  :rolleyes: ).  

Here are my two loony wishes:

1. 18th century Englightenment-era European costumes (or American Colonial), animations (courtly gestures), wigs, and set dressings

2.  More classical greek and Roman stuff (particularly military, like animated siege weaponry)

Now that Chris is officially hoping that I lose his contact info -- what are your thoughts?  :P

#2 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:43 PM

I'm always missing something, but what it is depends on the story/theme. :lol:

I'd love to have more kneeling animations, especially kneeling down next to someone on the floor and touch or examine him/her. This is something that I've run into many times.

I'd also love to have more handheld props (especially carrying "lady" bags, not just the sports bag or the leather case).

I'm also missing more facial animations, we have the mood expressions, but only a few facial animations.

The sitting animations are great, but limited.

A bigger variety of costumes would be also great, but this is always depending on the type/theme of movie that you want to make, so that this can be an endless thing :P (e.g. pirates, more types of everyday clothing and dirty clothing, or even the best: more clothing taking custom textures for variation). This has not the first priority for me, more a "nice to have".

Animals and children have been a topic since years, but I've rather given up on them.

#3 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1144 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:07 AM

👍kneel👍

#4 lynn3d

lynn3d

Film Critic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:23 AM

Hear, hear

18th century Englightenment-era European costumes (or American Colonial), animations (courtly gestures), wigs, and set dressings

I'll second and third that !

If only I knew how to add costumes to the avatars I could help with that.

For a different progam I had started work on 18th century costumes but I stopped for lack of interest of third parties.

If anybody could take up the task of adding costumes to MS avatars I would be more than willing to finish the costumes.

Attached are what I have so far, colours and textures can of course be changed.

Attached Files

• Attached File  053.jpg   16.86KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  054.jpg   20.34KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  055.jpg   18.33KB   1 downloads

#5 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1136 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:11 PM

Those are nice costumes!

I'd be tempted to have a bash if you're not in any hurry -_-

What format are the costumes, and how many vertices are there in each?

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#6 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:55 AM

Those are really nice!!  Now we just need Shirley to take up the wigs and we have ourselves a minipack :)

Attached Files

#7 lynn3d

lynn3d

Film Critic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:04 PM

Those are nice costumes!

I'd be tempted to have a bash if you're not in any hurry -_-

What format are the costumes, and how many vertices are there in each?

Thank you and mattzart30 for the compliment, very glad finally some one likes the costumes.

If you like to give it a try, I'm not in a hurry, the costumes have been sitting more than 2 yrs on my computer :rolleyes:

The format is OBJ and the number of vertices can be adjusted, only the lower I go the less fluid the wrinkles become which could be offset to some extend if you can adjust the smoothing angle from 45 to 90.

Ideally, and without "skimping" what would your ideal number of vertices be. It might be easier for me to adjust the costumes then for you to have to jump through hoops.

Also, from what I have been reading in the modding forum, costumes are the actual body parts of the avatars.

If that would make it easier for you I could supply each piece of garment as a single file instead of the whole outfit in one.

Let me know what you think :)

#8 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1136 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

.obj is good - I shouldn't have any issues reading those!

On the whole the MS costumes are one-piece, except for accessories such as hats, scarrves, etc., so I suggest sending them as they are, depending on polycount. The typical MS costume is about 5000 polys , so hopefully a similar number of vertices as well. Too much more than that and MS might start to keel over.

I'll message you my contact details :)

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#9 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:51 AM

Hey good news, Shirley's going to let me commission her to do the 18th century wigs!  They're going to go into her store.  She'll be able start when she gets through a couple of other items on her modder plate. :) :) :)

#10 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:18 AM

I seem to remember Quasimodder did a couple of Mexican Shakos that might be useful for Military men of the Napoleonic period ;)

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#11 spenayoung

spenayoung

Director

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:43 PM

Definitely would want female costumes that have a much broader range in physiques, including ones that could be used as children (forced perspective and playing with the sizes of objects can allow for "children" with some tricky camera work).

I could use more instruments, animals, flying vehicles. Don't know what pack this would be? The mishmashkidspack? :)

Sabrina Pena Young
Composer/Filmmaker/Sci-fi Junkie
Libertaria: The Virtual Opera

You must unlearn what you have learned.
Visit My Website