6 replies to this topic

#1 Antoni1990

Antoni1990

Film Critic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:08 AM

Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm having some trouble with importing props from sketchup.

I've followed the tutorial on importing from sketchup but my prop doesnt show in the menu, any ideas?

I'm basically adding Sonic Screwdrivers from Doctor Who so if you have any advice on how to go about it and also make it interactable that will be fantastic.

#2 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

If you make a version of your prop (without the skeleton) that uses an existing held prop set of animations, then it can be a variation of that.

Eg first import your prop to a new SonicScrewdriver addon (or something), and use
Data/Props/SonicScrewdriver
for the prop name with the sketchup importer.

Then make some folders in your addon, so that it has
Data/Props/Weapons/Guns/Pistols
Then, make a copy of all the files and folders in SonicScrewdriver, and put them in the Pistols folder you just made.
Then (really important), find the SonicScrewdriver.CSF in your new Pistols folder and delete it - otherwise the pistols may try to use the wrong skeleton.
Then republish your addon, and in Moviestorm, see if there is a variation of the pistol that is your sonic screwdriver. The character will still be using pistol animations, but some of them might work well with it.

The screwdriver might not be held right - to fix that, you need to look at the pistol in the modders workshop, and see where it's handle sits in the default position. You then need to rebuild your sketchup model so that the screwdriver handle is in the same location, and repeat the import steps.

You might think the screwdriver works better with a different held props set of animations (the flashlight in the bonus content, maybe, or the wand in special effects), in which case you need to use a different folder based on the folder name for the prop you are making it an alternate version of.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#3 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

That's awesome, I didn't know it was that easy...

Arthur wink.gif

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (ArthurVKuhrmeier @ Nov 15 2013, 7:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's awesome, I didn't know it was that easy...

Arthur wink.gif

Oh it sure is:- http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=106177 wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 Antoni1990

Antoni1990

Film Critic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Nov 14 2013, 4:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you make a version of your prop (without the skeleton) that uses an existing held prop set of animations, then it can be a variation of that.

Eg first import your prop to a new SonicScrewdriver addon (or something), and use
Data/Props/SonicScrewdriver
for the prop name with the sketchup importer.

Then make some folders in your addon, so that it has
Data/Props/Weapons/Guns/Pistols
Then, make a copy of all the files and folders in SonicScrewdriver, and put them in the Pistols folder you just made.
Then (really important), find the SonicScrewdriver.CSF in your new Pistols folder and delete it - otherwise the pistols may try to use the wrong skeleton.
Then republish your addon, and in Moviestorm, see if there is a variation of the pistol that is your sonic screwdriver. The character will still be using pistol animations, but some of them might work well with it.

The screwdriver might not be held right - to fix that, you need to look at the pistol in the modders workshop, and see where it's handle sits in the default position. You then need to rebuild your sketchup model so that the screwdriver handle is in the same location, and repeat the import steps.

You might think the screwdriver works better with a different held props set of animations (the flashlight in the bonus content, maybe, or the wand in special effects), in which case you need to use a different folder based on the folder name for the prop you are making it an alternate version of.

Thanks, I shall try and make some sense of that...I'm using a Mac, finding the folders is harder than windows

#6 Antoni1990

Antoni1990

Film Critic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (Antoni1990 @ Nov 15 2013, 2:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, I shall try and make some sense of that...I'm using a Mac, finding the folders is harder than windows

Nope, Clueless

#7 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

To paraphrase an old post:-

On a Mac

Go to Applications/Moviestorm.

Right click or control click Moviestorm.

Select 'Show Package Contents'.

Go through Contents to Resources to Addon, where all the addons are.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"