• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cerrico

cerrico

Novice director

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

First, I apologize if this seems like a repeat of some of my other questions. I'm trying to get everything sorted out as I learn everything. I have a few questions about skeleton modding.

1. If I am understanding correctly, I can import the MS Skeletons into Milkshape/Misfit/3ds Max (assuming I have a Cal3d importer), correct?
2. Once imported, I apply the mesh to the bones and vertices, correct?
3. Once all mesh, skin, textures, etc., are applied to the bones then I export it using Cal3d for use in MS?
4. How do I export from the 3d program and import into MS? Is it the same method as importing any other modded item and set of Cal3d files (i.e., like Chris' tutorial importing Rotobot?)

5. MOST IMPORTANT question: Do I need to make animations for the modded skeleton or will it use MS installed animations already (assuming that I do NOT change the placement of any bones/joints?)

In other words, once I mod the skeleton with mesh/skin/costume then import it into MS, can I use it just like any other MS puppet?

Basically, what I want to do is make a full costume for the MS skeleton, apply it to the skeleton, and import it into MS so that I can use it on any character I want. Am I on the right track in my thinking of how to go about this?

Lastly, can anyone provide links to tutorials (preferably written) importing and working with the skeletons into a 3d program? The video tutorials posted for working with the skeletons don't seem to work for me.

Thanks! I appreciate this community and all the help I received so far.

Christine

#2 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:04 AM

1. If I am understanding correctly, I can import the MS Skeletons into Milkshape/Misfit/3ds Max (assuming I have a Cal3d importer), correct?

The skeletons are available in formats which do not require the importer. They will easily work with the above.

2. Once imported, I apply the mesh to the bones and vertices, correct?

The skeletons have the basic male01 and female01 bodies attached to them and assigned. You can modify the mesh or delete it and place a new one on the skeleton and reassign all the vertices. (This takes a lot of work and time especially the head.)

3. Once all mesh, skin, textures, etc., are applied to the bones then I export it using Cal3d for use in MS?
That is correction. Materials first. Then the Mesh.

4. How do I export from the 3d program and import into MS? Is it the same method as importing any other modded item and set of Cal3d files (i.e., like Chris' tutorial importing Rotobot?)
The Cal3D files are generated by the exporter in Milkshape and Max. But yes, the same export method detailed by Chris.

5. MOST IMPORTANT question: Do I need to make animations for the modded skeleton or will it use MS installed animations already (assuming that I do NOT change the placement of any bones/joints?)
Yup! Just don't mess with the skeleton itself or all hell will break loose.

In other words, once I mod the skeleton with mesh/skin/costume then import it into MS, can I use it just like any other MS puppet?

YUP!

Basically, what I want to do is make a full costume for the MS skeleton, apply it to the skeleton, and import it into MS so that I can use it on any character I want. Am I on the right track in my thinking of how to go about this?

Pretty much! You may find that messing around with the basic mesh is a safer choice than starting anew. I sometimes do a combination. Keep the complicated bits I don't want to mess up, like the head and hands, but modify the torso, legs and arms. You can do an awful lot that way. And messing around with existing meshes is a great way to learn.

[/quote]

Oh and ask questions. We are a fairly friendly, if slightly insane, group!

#3 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (writerly @ Aug 22 2012, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup! Just don't mess with the skeleton itself or all hell will break loose.

If you are creating a custom skeleton, you can do this for props, which would then need custom animations if they were to be animated. 'Prop' can be quite widely defined, though - if you wanted to make a cat, for instance, it could still be a prop.

If you are not changing the placement of any of the bones or joints, then you do not need to make a custom skeleton - just export your new character using the existing skeleton found in AddOn/Core/Data/Puppets/[Male01 | Female01].

For characters, Moviestorm only allows variations on Male01 and Female01, and it is important that they dont have custom skeletons. This means that they can use all the existing animations, however. You can skin your mesh to some or all of the existing bones in the male or female skeleton, potentially making things that are not very human, but the requirement to use the existing skeletons for characters does pose some restrictions.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users