• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:11 AM

The new administration has taken charge in the Whitehouse in the United States but things are not all bliss.. Written by Lucinda McNary, produced, directed by Lucinda McNary. Music by No,Really from the album Rust - song - Thousand Yard Stare.

http://www.moviestor...eServlet?id=914

Sarah Palin unfortunately still doesn't understand what a Vice President is supposed to do. This is a comedy with a bit of mystery to it.

#2 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:32 AM

I'm sorry to say mechanical voices don't work for me unless they're coming from an artificial intelligence. Have you experimented with any voice changing software?

#3 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

No I have not but why do you post this in my forum about my movie which will keep people from watching my movie? I really do not appreciate it at all.
I've made about 30 movies this year alone using this software, one which was the only full length full feature movie made with Moviestorm. Two of my movies played in Long Beach, California this weekend. I think I know what I am doing.

#4 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:20 PM

(willshetterly)
I'm sorry to say mechanical voices don't work for me unless they're coming from an artificial intelligence. Have you experimented with any voice changing software?

Hi Will, I agree and disagree, the jarring sound of a computer voice can be too much to get over in some cases, but I also think they are an incredibly important tool that I would like to see Moviestorm at some point including (but only if it can be done to a level that removes the instant distraction).

I have used computer generated voices on a few things, mainly for comedic effect and to add a touch of surrealness to my movies. But would love to have a good, wide range of cg voices at hand, even slightly robotic sounding, as I'm sure it would be better than anything I could do with a pitch shifter, and make me feel less self conscious!

There are some really good generators out there now, problem is they're quite expensive too.

Lucinda, the link to your film seems broken and I didn't get a chance to see/hear it sad.gif
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#5 Nuclear Fallout

Nuclear Fallout

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

............................................________
....................................,.-??...................``~.,
.............................,.-?...................................?-.,
.........................,/...............................................?:,
.....................,/......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,: ?......../
............../.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....?~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....?~,_........?~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......?=,_.......?-,_.......,.-~-,},.~?;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......?=-._......?;,,./`..../?............../
...,,,___.`~,......?~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-?
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`

#6 DavidB

DavidB

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 793 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

As to voices - I'd encourage people in this shared community forum to look around at some of the really cool voice tools out there:

varitalk - http://www2.varitalk.com/

cereproc - http://www.cereproc.com/

There are lots of simpler tools for free too:

Text Aloud at www.nextup.com

Fl studio 7 contains a speach synthesizer

MorphVox - Screaming Bee http://www.screamingbee.com

Dejal Narrator for Mac )SX

or, just use the really cool tools in Adobe Audition 3.0 http://www.adobe.com...ducts/audition/

and so many others. We are looking at a few tools that have voices that can carry inflection and "drama", and feel that they align nicely with things like script importers and rapid development (i.e. getting a good rough out before bringing in voice actors)

(I enjoyed reading this blog - http://blog.jaduka.c...on,-part-I.html )

having said that, we also have a fantastic pool of student, semi-pro and professional voice actors to call on, and find they add real impact to a movie.
David J W Bailey ACA MA MSc GIBiol MInstD

blog.david.bailey.net www.twitter.com/davidjwbailey www.flickr.com/people/davidjwbailey

#7 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:31 PM

Lucinda, my apologies--in retrospect, I should've started a new thread. I don't think my comment should put anyone off, though. If anything, it should prepare them for the CG voices. Like most things, they're probably less strange the more you hear them. I mentioned this here, to you, because I noticed them in some of your other movies, and they seemed like the weakest point to me. You do some great work--I love "words"--so I thought I would share my reservation. It could very well just be me.

Chris, I agree with your agree and disagree. I've used CG voices to make lips move for lip-syncing. When I first saw that MovieStorm had a place to type in dialogue, I thought I would be able to do voice-generated dialogue, which would be very cool--I would love to see that in the MS toolkit.

Much of what's jarring for me is mixing CG voices and natural ones. The CG voices are so clearly CG. If they were all CG, it might be easier to think of them as a style choice. Instead, the back of my brain goes, "Some of the characters have human voices, and some don't. Is that one a robot? Did she get throat cancer, so she has a voice box now?" I'm just awfully literal-minded.

Anyway, now that I've had a chance to think through this, I realize my objection isn't to CG voices automatically. They could be like comic book word balloons, a convention of the medium that the audience adjusts to. But when they're mixed with natural voices, I expect that to mean something in the story.

David, very promising links! I'll check them out.

#8 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:52 PM

Well I redid it with my own voice. Yes I am quite adept at changing my own voice and modifying it with Adobe Audition. I have actually found a few computer voices that are good -- a lot of the foreign accent voices sound really real. They are getting close. I read Tech Republic and this is something that is being worked on at MIT and actually they are getting closer and closer to natural sounding computer generated voices.

I love using actors but my own family runs in fear as soon as I start a new movie. LOL. I get my husband whenever I can talk him into it - he did the voice of George W in my movie The Chat. I did all the voices in Lisa Saves the World.

I have had good luck sometimes getting people to do voices from here. Even you staff members helped out with GONE which was a big movie. I just hate to ask all the time and sometimes I just want to get a movie DONE quickly and out there.

I am good at doing different female voices and accents but it is harder when you change the pitch to a man's voice. With a change in pitch, your cadence is the same, the way you accent words, etc. Even changing the resonance and modulation doesn't change the voice that much. It is very hard to change that and sound really different. However, I fooled my son with my remake of Mavaricks. He did not know it was me doing all the voices.

So the remake is up now.

#9 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:15 PM

(lucindamc123)
The new administration has taken charge in the Whitehouse in the United States but things are not all bliss.. Written by Lucinda McNary, produced, directed by Lucinda McNary. Music by No,Really from the album Rust - song - Thousand Yard Stare.

Sarah Palin unfortunately still doesn't understand what a Vice President is supposed to do. This is a comedy with a bit of mystery to it.

Thanks for the video... i got to see it before it disappeared .
Among other things, I liked the idea of the president's voice :-)
always look forward to more stuff from you :-)
Cheers :-)

Edit:
Cool to get an alternative version now :-) Thanks.

#10 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:24 PM

I didn't expect you to remake it! I do like this version much better. It feels, well, warmer. You provide more character than a CG voice can.

And I realize now that I don't mind hearing the same person doing several voices, as long as the person's trying to make them different. It's kind of like noticing a stage performance with actors doubling up on parts.

#11 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

Well I didn't have to reshoot it. I just redid the voices and put them in in post production in Sony Vegas. Even though of course to get lip sync going, I put voices in when I film a movie, I always put the voices in again in Sony Vegas. Because with Sony Vegas, I can have unlimited tracks for sound and video and also I can export the entire sound track to Adobe Audition and tweak it further.

I do all the sound effects, voices and music in post production separately. The advantage to doing this is that I can raise and lower the music, sound effects, increase volumn on a voice file separately so that I get everything working together as perfect as I can. I have a kind of pet peeve when watching TV or movies and that is a lot of times you can't hear the dialogue because of the loudness of sound effects and music. I know that is because of course when a movie or TV show is filmed, they do it on location and they can't take the time or money to redo all the sound. Now if I were running a real studio, that is how I would make a movie - I would redo all the sound, voice overs,everything in post production.

I've never worked on a real movie or TV set so I am just speculating how they do these things - they have separate mics for each sound and put the music in post production. Wouldn't it be great if someone would invent a mic that only picked up the voice, another one for the outside sound effects, etc. Then you could separate the tracks in post production and make it come out really good. LOL. Gee, maybe they already do this but just aren't very good at it.

I am sure when they use a sound stage instead of a location shoot, they do it this way.

#12 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

Hollywood does try to isolate sounds. Part of what you're talking about is simply the philosophy of editing. I noticed it in pop music a few decades ago: people began mixing the vocals as if they were only one more instrument. I like having voices prominent.

I don't know if Hong Kong has changed its approach, but until the 1990s, they did most or all of their sound after the movie was shot. Since they were often planning to dub several versions (China has a lot of dialects), that made sense, and it meant they could shoot on locations much more quickly.

#13 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

(willshetterly)
Hollywood does try to isolate sounds. Part of what you're talking about is simply the philosophy of editing. I noticed it in pop music a few decades ago: people began mixing the vocals as if they were only one more instrument. I like having voices prominent.

I don't know if Hong Kong has changed its approach, but until the 1990s, they did most or all of their sound after the movie was shot. Since they were often planning to dub several versions (China has a lot of dialects), that made sense, and it meant they could shoot on locations much more quickly.

I wondered about that, on location shooting and adding the voices in post production. That of course would require that all the actors record a sound track. I think in TV that would be too expensive. If they do isolate the sounds when on location on TV shoots, a lot of times it is really poor work. I know they shot a couple of movies in a town in upstate New York where I used to live. A lot of people in town came to watch and we had to be about a 1/2 a block away and be really quiet. And they weren't even recording dialogue. It was all real boring too. They were just getting out of a car, going in a building, coming out and getting back in the car.

But that is possible in a small town to control noise better than in a city.

#14 BA

BA

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:56 AM

For those films that need good lines and good quality delivered in a deadpan fashion, AT&T voices lets you type it in and you simply listen to or download the output.

Very useful for the odd line. A quality recording at no cost whatsoever, and some lines do sound very human.

Not much emotion, but it gets round the actor problem. smile.gif

http://www.research....eb/tts/demo.php

Matt and Dave Review our last film "Faith Hope and Charity". http://blackaceprodu...ious/Review.wma

#15 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

(BA)
For those films that need good lines and good quality delivered in a deadpan fashion, AT&T voices lets you type it in and you simply listen to or download the output.

Very useful for the odd line. A quality recording at no cost whatsoever, and some lines do sound very human.

Not much emotion, but it gets round the actor problem. smile.gif

http://www.research....eb/tts/demo.php

Yes I have used AT & T but I usually only use them for making the movie to get the lip synch. I put in all the actors real voices in post production. I also have Cepstral which is better than AT & T but still not exactly right. However, Cepstral has come closer than any of the others, especially for the foreign language voices.

I have worked with Adobe Audition to tweak any computer voices further. The female voices are better than the male. Computer voices tend to speak very fast - if you slow down the tempo you can get a more realistic sound. Also you can do a lot at changing pitch on certain words or parts of words. This changes the rhythm and cadance of the voice to make it sound more realistic.

But that is a lot of work and so far I have only used it for the odd voices, maybe a clerk in a store or a waitress who only has one short line in an actual movie. Other than trying it out like I did in Mavaricks (but I took out the computer voices and re-edited it with my own voice for the revised edition).

For getting your lip synch correct in Moviestorm though it is great as the sound quality is perfect and of course you just type in the dialogue instead of recording it. What would be great for a Moviestorm addon is the ability to do this. Just type in your script and your puppets speak the words. It would save a lot of time in making a movie on the actual set.

#16 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:28 PM

I am still researching good synthesized voices for use in movies when I ran across some work that is being done with voices for singing and they are incredible. Here is a link to a site I found that I think you will find very interesting.

http://speech.bme.ogi.edu/tts/flinger/

Actually I am just putting this here to keep track of my own research but by the way, I am again, remaking Mavericks. I never did release it anywhere but here and no, I am not using computer voices for it, but my own. Anyway in trying to do Sarah Palin's voice, I just couldn't do it. I can't even begin to sound that annoying. LOL. Anyway I am refilming this movie and expanding the story a bit too.