Photo

Shadowcaster, City of Darkness (mod demo)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:40 PM

Mod demo of Shadowcaster mod & City of Darkness mods.
http://www.moviestor...Servlet?id=1924

Shadowcaster has 3 textures currently (1 demo'd) of clouds, planes & ufo's. They play over the scene very nicely. I'm also planning some pattern texs for it, like scanlines.

City Of Darkness has multiple textures as well as what's displayed here, and can quickly be used to populate an area with futuristic buildings in a variety of dark, scifi themes. It's as low poly as I can get it, so it performs pretty well, even with 6 or 8 placements on set.

EDIT: I must make a point of thanking Ben_S for his impeccable advice for helping me on this, I wouldn't have sorted the problem without his help. Thanks, dude!

More of this to come.

#2 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

Nice! I assume you must have shadows turned on? My lil nvidia FX-5200 doesn't support shadows.

#3 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

Aw dude, bummer. A new card is just $70 in my neck of the woods, a nVidia 9500. Such a difference, I could barely use MS with my old 5200.

#4 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

Yeah. I see a new system in my future, including a better card. Was going to get it last year, but ended up getting my bike. My current system does fine though, but I have to render in 30 to 60 sec. intervals LOL!

#5 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:20 AM

Look used. A lot of people don't even realize it, & get a new system every couple of years. I got a relative behemoth for free, a guy I know had it spare & offered it to me when he heard of my other machine crashing. All it needed was a power supply & a graphics card, cost me just under $100. Its my primo production machine now.

#6 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:54 AM

The moving clouds are awesome. Is that the only speed or is there a way to slow it down?

#7 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:01 AM

yep well impressed m8 love the sky effect etc ...look forward to movie in the future smile.gif

can i put out a big request to you and all you other great modders etc.
I'm sure others like me wud love some tutorial on this and other prop ...animation techniques etc etc ....but although i see alot of tutorials i see very few with Screenshots step by step which leads to alot of misunderstanding and headaches.....

anyway sorry to wax on

back to the point great Mod biggrin.gif

#8 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:23 AM

(AngriBuddhist)
The moving clouds are awesome. Is that the only speed or is there a way to slow it down?

Heh, just what I was looking for. It's set at the longest time at this point, am looking in the code for a numerical value somewhere... can't find it to slow it down. At this point, am willing to wag in front of the devs for slower speeds.

Yes it would be nice to find all these scattered tutorials in one spot at least, not to mention a few screenshot tuts too. I'll see what I can do to put together a start to finish mod tutorial from Blender, there seems to be lots for Sketchup.

#9 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:30 AM

You've done a great job there. Definitely fills the screen with atmosphere.
smile.gif
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#10 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:52 PM

(AngriBuddhist)

I quite agree, they are awesome.

The modders workshop interface for the scrolling UV's has a slider for the period. The slowest time on that is a 5 second cycle period for the texture to completely scroll from across the texture area.

You can change this by opening up the saved .template in a text editor, and look for this bit:

Linear uv animator period

Then you can change the 5.0 to any time you like; changing to 20 (seconds) would, for example, slow it down to 1/4 of the speed it was at 5 seconds.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#11 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:34 PM

Thanks again, Ben! That comes in handy. Now I can make a giant monster shadow, slowly approaching... hee hee

#12 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

Can we get a timeline on the shadowcaster release?

#13 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

If you need it for a movie, I'll send it over to you. I want to enter it into the competition, so I'll take my cue from the MS folks, but you're welcome to use it for a flick anytime dude. Send me a PM.

Unless there's a problem with that with respect to the competition...?

#14 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:24 AM

(bongoman)
Unless there's a problem with that with respect to the competition...?

I would not expect there to be.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#15 Trinity

Trinity

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 618 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:10 AM

here's the comments i left on the movie page: "really awesome, both the buildings and the fx. very impressive. i was somehow in mind of dragons, like them flying overhead. not seen themselves, but their shadows - not that these look like those of such a creature - striking fear on the ground below."
Writer / Producer / Director

DIGIPENDENCE.com - my blog about 3D moviemaking, machinima, animation, cinematic design, sequential art, graphic novels, web comix, fan films, and independent film, video & photo production.

#16 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

Thanks! smile.gif

Hmm... dragon shadows, eh? Sounds interesting... I think I might be able to make that.

I'll release them soon, I just have to repack them into individual addons, they're all in one right now.