• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:40 AM

You'll see a trenchcoat I modded. It's kinda sad, but it's my first try. Let me know what you think. laugh.gif

http://www.moviestor...Servlet?id=2300

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#2 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:37 AM

great stuff m8...... the different tonal colours on the coat maybe caused by the specular and bump maps

Crazy bump (30 days trial) is a great little prog for automating the produtuion of these from your modded texture.

Crazy bump @

http://www.crazybump.com/

#3 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:44 AM

(roguevirus)
great stuff m8...... the different tonal colours on the coat maybe caused by the specular and bump maps

Thank you, my friend! Quick question for you or anyone else who might know...

Which layer does a new color effect? If I change the normal I know that effects the color, but what about the diff and the spec? Do I need to change those too or does it matter?

Thanks! :mrgreen:

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#4 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:52 AM

(squirrelygirl)
(roguevirus)

Thank you, my friend! Quick question for you or anyone else who might know...

Which layer does a new color effect? If I change the normal I know that effects the color, but what about the diff and the spec? Do I need to change those too or does it matter?

Thanks! :mrgreen:

ok m8 your

DIFF is the full colour image (as u'd normally see)

SPEC is how shiney highlights etc

NORM is the bump map ....how much the mesh is deformed by texturue

#5 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:56 AM

(roguevirus)
ok m8 your

DIFF is the full colour image (as u'd normally see)

SPEC is how shiney highlights etc

NORM is the bump map ....how much the mesh is deformed by texturue

Alright, what if I want to change the texture as in "Hey, I found this awsome picure of orange paisley fabric with bright green flowers and I want the trenchcoat to look like that!" Is there a way to put that texture on the trenchcoat without having to try to paint it so it looks like that?

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#6 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:57 AM

hopefu;lly this will help out all i did was select the area the trenchcoat covers on the texture and removed it then placed a layer underneath that shows through the removed area ....this is skining in it simplist form i haven't modified the original SPEC or NORM files just replaced the DIFF with this image

video test @

http://www.moviestor...Servlet?id=2301

CLEAN TEMPLATE for you to easily select area for texture

#7 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:08 AM

Rogue, that's lovely! In the little modding that I've done, just changing the diff file worked fine.

#8 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:11 AM

You've certainly made a good job of it Squirrelygirl, and rogue's advice is very valuable.
I'm personally waiting for someone to find the time to write a tutorial on modding costumes and heads for dummies. A sort of step by step guide showing which tools to use, which files to convert and where to find them, and most importantly where to put them back into Moviestorm!
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#9 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:18 AM

(luxaeternam)
You've certainly made a good job of it Squirrelygirl, and rogue's advice is very valuable.
I'm personally waiting for someone to find the time to write a tutorial on modding costumes and heads for dummies. A sort of step by step guide showing which tools to use, which files to convert and where to find them, and most importantly where to put them back into Moviestorm!

your wish is my request i'll add it to my list of 2do's although someone else can do the packing into a new mod section wink.gif (as tbh i haven't bothered yet been having too much fun with textures)

#10 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:15 AM

Have y'all checked out the wiki?

Start here, maybe:

http://wiki.moviesto...ding::Textures/

#11 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

Starts off well by telling us what we need, but it still requires step by step instructions on how to get stuff into photoshop or other editing program (rogue said something about some software he uses) and covering the dos and don'ts at this crucial stage.
Sorry if this all seems horribly basic, but I did say "for dummies" smile.gif
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#12 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:05 AM

(luxaeternam)
Starts off well by telling us what we need, but it still requires step by step instructions on how to get stuff into photoshop or other editing program (rogue said something about some software he uses) and covering the dos and don'ts at this crucial stage.
Sorry if this all seems horribly basic, but I did say "for dummies" smile.gif

ok np m8

1st off your gonna need an image editor

Photoshop , photoshop elements , GIMP etc

next seeing as most of the files are saved as DDS (direct draw surfaces)(although some are .PNG files) your gonna need something to convert them to PSD or png or whatever you editor likes.

I use

DDS Converter 2

which is a Doom modding tool .;...this will simply change the format to PSD (or whatever) to edit in ur image program and then back to DDS.

the "diff" DDS file is the full colour image

if you want to play with

specular - SPEC - reflective values
Normal - Norm - how the texture deforms the mesh (like the wolfman)

then

Crazybump

is a 30 day trial with very easy to master controls where you simply open your texture and spec and bump maps are created....my be advice is make a fold in the directory to place the originals in then add your files and away you go ....obviously check all the names match smile.gif goodluck

#13 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:28 AM

[quote=roguevirus]hopefully this will help out all i did was select the area the trenchcoat covers on the texture and removed it then placed a layer underneath that shows through the removed area ....this is skining in it simplist form i haven't modified the original SPEC or NORM files just replaced the DIFF with this image[quote]

That is AWSOME! As Professor Peachbroom (from the fantasy movie I'm working on) would say, "Oh, dear boy, that is the lovliest shade of orange I've ever seen, you must tell me where you buy your clothes!" laugh.gif I'll try that skinning thing, but I must warn you, you may have opened a door for me you'd rather left shut! :mrgreen:

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#14 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

That's great stuff Rogue. I was playing with that software a bit. It seems pretty great.

RT

#15 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

Superbly helpful answer from Rogue. Thanks.

I might just venture into that arena one of these days. Well, as soon as work stops getting in the way of things!