20 replies to this topic

#1 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:36 AM

Hail!

Below is a link to a sort film made entirely with Motion Capture useing the Perception Neuron Full Body Suite
I find it really gives the MS Puppets new life

#2 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:15 PM

BOOOOOOOM

Mind blown.

Technical details on the  mo-capture PLEASE!!!

Regards,

Craig

AKA

Writerly

#3 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

The process is still being refined. But at the moment the piple line is as follows

Rec mo-Cap ->

export as max-BIP BVH ->

load MS puppet in to MAX ->

Add motion to puppet via motion capture menu (this will load but it will mess with the fingers)  ->

Use Batch file option in the Motion Capture menu, this will convert the BVH > BIP. ->

Reset/Reload the Puppet in to Max (no need to save) ->

re-apply motion but use the .BIP format. (this makes everything good again) but the Cal Export does not like BIP animation for some reason, so on to the next step ->

At this point if you are happy with the animation and dont need to edit it, The Export as a FBX make usre animation is selected.fromt here with a new project in max import the FBX (make sure the

option  For the  bones is "KEEP AS BONES" (not bones as dummy,) from there you should be able to import the Animation.

IF not happy with animation...... I use Iclone to edit animation I find it easier then in max. (tho the Drop sheet is helpful in max)

Import FBX in to 3d exchange -> (ReaIIusion Product)

Convert MS puppet into a NON standard ->

Apply to MS puppet and Animation in to  Iclone ->

edit animation -> (leave 3dexchange open with the MS puppet still loaded)

Apply new edited Animation back to 3d Exchange ->

Add the new motion file to the Perform section - > (this will keep the naming structure of MS Puppet so no need to retarget Bones)

Export FBX ->

Back at max load the FBX in a new project and export in to MS -> (again make sure the options for the FBX import under animation it say "keep as bones")

now I know this looks intence, and it is because there is no easy button, Should be, but those progamers like to make it so u have to jump through hoops, "why fix a thing when we can just add a warning window pop up" leave it up to us to find work arounds accros several platforms. Motion Builder in completey usless with max, and it build by the same company.

sigh....

anyway I was thinking last night after I uploaded the movie that I think I can do the entire rec add it to Icone -> 3dxchange - > max. which would be great!! Ill try that tonight.

#4 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

GULP

*BREAKS OUT IN SWEAT*

No...not daunting in the least.

COUGH COUGH

I'm looking forward to seeing whether your idea at the end makes it any easier.

Still GREEN with envy about the results. So great!

Regards,

Craig

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:37 AM

That is amazing stuff. The hands look a bit weird though, I guess there is still some cleaning needed?

Sadly, from my point of view, I can't afford a Perception Neuron suit and the mere mention of "Max" makes me switch off - as I haven't a hope of saving up $3000 for that.

I will be interested to see how you get on though, it would be great to see MS come back into regular use. iClone's crappy lip-synch has put me off it for the moment at least - Moviestorm's is far superior and it's camera handling is much easier. If only it had decent shadows - and a few developers ;)

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#6 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

So I had time to test the other technique. it works well, except the feet. In max when importing a BVH, there is an option that pops up and you can choose "Foot Form" this measures the

steps and makes them look natural. Exporting bvh out of 3d exchange does not import in to max for some reason. Only way is via FBX. but FBX does not give me the foot option when importing.

and I'm not sure if there is an Animation scan with in to do it post import.

@Primaveranz

Blender has come a long way in the last few years. MS does have puppet files for blender. Im actually thinking of battling that beast and seeing if I can get easier results with Blender. as well there are

some nice free open source mocap plug-ins out there for Blender.

sadly I cant do anything about the PN suite no substitute for that. however looking back 7 years ago, the closest thing to mo-cap for Machinama was 30K. 

and it is not any better then what PN can produce.

90% of the clean up in the animation is just refining the T-pose for the MS puppet. I did find however find that the finger and hand animation turned out better via the PN-Iclone-3d exchange - max, but I loose the Foot step Option. So at this moment I can have one or the other. better walking/footsteps or finger movements. sigh...

and on the note of the lip-sync I agree MS is far greater. Iclone however did just release a smoothing option that corrects such issues. however it is only available for G6 and CC characters. and all my

work is with the G5's sigh... In a lot of ways Iclone sucks. If only Iclone and MS could get merried and have a child.

#7 Ichikaidan

Ichikaidan

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:46 PM

First I thought it was a very well done April hoax.

I want to compliment you on the impressive amount of effort you put in to it in order to realize it.

As a "regular" MS user i find these developments very interesting.

My dream would be Kinect based ,then just choose character and roll.

Although i am not aware of a recording mode in MS in which external data control the characters live.

And gives access to the timeline as it is all scripted.

Good luck on your further developments.

Creating situations and learning to see.

#8 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:50 PM

In a lot of ways Iclone sucks. If only Iclone and MS could get merried and have a child.

Amen to that. :)

#9 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:49 PM

First I thought it was a very well done April hoax.

I want to compliment you on the impressive amount of effort you put in to it in order to realize it.

As a "regular" MS user i find these developments very interesting.

My dream would be Kinect based ,then just choose character and roll.

Although i am not aware of a recording mode in MS in which external data control the characters live.

And gives access to the timeline as it is all scripted.

Good luck on your further developments.

Thanks for the complement,

I started this quest with Ipisoft, which uses Kinect. Used some of that mocap in  Star Wreck, ep 6 I think. As a word of advise don't go that route. it is extremely limited. save your money and look else where.

there is no way to rec mocap in MS. it has to be external. the only way to do what you discriped is Motion Builder or Iclone then import into Moviestorm.

All the mods I created for Star Wreck is now in iclone. Ill add the bridge and other sets on the Iclone stage to map out the area on my basement floor. because I can Live rec in IClone

with the Perception Neuron Plug in. this allows me to easy port full scene animations for use with MS with out having to worry about walking through a bulkhead or a control panel.

#10 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 930 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:46 AM

I assumed the lack of hand animation was due to the fact the bip skeletons I have seen do not have finger bones. I like the fluid and realistic look of the upper body.

@ Prima- I won't be getting a motion capture suit any time soon either :-(

#11 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:35 AM

I assumed the lack of hand animation was due to the fact the bip skeletons I have seen do not have finger bones. I like the fluid and realistic look of the upper body.

@ Prima- I won't be getting a motion capture suit any time soon either :-(

They have bones in the Fingers, I just didnt have a vary good T-POSE template. That has been corrected and now the fingers look all good. plus I was trying not to over act. in doing so I underacted i guess. either way I find the MS Puppets hands and fingers to be a bit awkward

#12 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:45 AM

They have bones in the Fingers, I just didnt have a vary good T-POSE template. That has been corrected and now the fingers look all good. plus I was trying not to over act. in doing so I underacted i guess. either way I find the MS Puppets hands and fingers to be a bit awkward

Would you be willing to share your T-POSE? I run into this problem frequently when trying to make clothes etc. The MS Skeletons we've been given are in a frankly really awkward stance.

C

#13 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:25 PM

yes... I'll post the T-Pose later tonight

#14 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:21 PM

Excellent! Many thanks!

C

#15 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:21 AM

Here you go

Attached Files

#16 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:11 PM

Many thanks!

C

#17 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:40 PM

Can Blender open Max files?

#18 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:02 PM

I know it can open FBX files. if you need I can convert for you

#19 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:30 PM

That would be great if you have the time, thanks ;)

#20 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:25 AM

I was getting errors when Exporting as FBX. when I Imported the Export. I got more Errors
not sure with the conversion would work in the long run
it might be better to use the MS Blender verson Puppte and just repossition the bones yourself
regaurdless the added the FBX to this post

here is also a link to the Blender MS puppet bellow.

http://cloud.moviest...s - Blender.zip

Attached Files