• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hi I'm having problems logging in as a non admin user on our school system. If I access moviestorm as an admin user from a non admins user area nMoviestorm works fine. If I try as a non admin user, I have no props and can't access the character area. I've tried giving nopn admin full rights from the security options, but still having the same problems. Has anyone else experienced anything similar problems as I'm sure its something simple. I think there was a similar problem with 1.3 and we manged to sort it out, unfortunatly the chap that helped out has left the school so I'm pretty much stuck.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

John

#2 skratchmasta

skratchmasta

Master Director

• Mods
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

Hi neut,

I'm guessing your using a mac of some sort? This problem stems from the folder permissions when installing Moviestorm as an admin. Its not letting you access the addons folder as you don't have permission on the system. Please follow these instructions to fix this issue.

1. Open up mac explorer and look in 'applications'
2. Right click on Moviestorm app and select 'show package contents'
3. open the files, content> resources>
4. Right click on 'addons' folder and select 'get info'
5. At the bottom of the info page there is a 'sharing and permissions' section, you need to add a permission for everyone to use this folder by clicking the + button. Bare in mind you will need to use your mac login username and password.

I hope this is clear enough for you please let me know if you need any more information or have any more problems,

Kind Regards,
Alex
Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.

#3 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

As an alternative to Alex's answer:

Problem:
Doesnt work on non-admin accounts (mac). When you start a new movie, there are no props listed in the prop browser, and it crashes if you go to the dressing room.
Solution:
Change permissions within the install
As an admin, open the terminal, and do
cd /Applications/Moviestorm\ Education.app/
chmod -R 777 Contents

Please do let us know if this is happening with Windows, as obviously it will require a slightly different solution. We would need to know which version of windows you are using.

Note: After some experimentation, we have noted that there is a similar problem with windows XP non admin accounts, but we have not yet found a solution. Hopefully we will have something soon.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#4 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

Hi thanks for getting back but the machines are windows based.

Thanks again

John

#5 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Right, we found a work-around on windows, but we dont yet have an actual fix (we had a code fix submitted, but it doesnt yet work).

The workaround involves setting the install to allow non-admin users full access.

So, on Windows XP (We think it is working correctly for non admin users on windows vista and 7, but let us know if you are experiencing something different).

First, you need to be logged in as an Admin account.
You need to make sure you have access to the file permissions - http://www.spy-hill....s/XP-perms.html explains how to turn off Simple File Sharing so you can see the file permissions.
Then, find the folder that Moviestorm is installed to - probably C:/Program Files/Moviestorm-1.4 or -site
Right click that folder and select 'Properties', and look at the 'Security' tab.
Select the 'users' group in the top section.
Tick 'Full control' in the bottom section.
This should (when you click ok), allow full user access to the Moviestorm install, for members of the 'Users' group.

You should then be able to log in a non admin user in the 'Users' group and use Moviestorm.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#6 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

Hi, thanks for your help on this but still no joy sad.gif can't understand why as we've had it working before grrr, this is so frustrating.

John

#7 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

I'm wondering where this failed, then.

Firstly, are these computers running windows XP?

Did you get through the permission changing stuff? If you go to the AddOn folder within the install, do it's permissions allow the users group full control?

And are the user accounts actually part of the 'users' group?
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#8 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

*Phew* got it working, thanks Ben for your help. Like a numpty I'd given full control to to the shortcut and main program only not the folder. Soon as I did this it jumped into life. Time to get installing smile.gif

John

#9 skratchmasta

skratchmasta

Master Director

• Mods
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

Glad to hear you got it working.
Happy Moviestorming!
Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.