• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Kinetic Novel - Romantic Comedy - Suitable for All Ages- Short (30mins)
Downloads, all under 25mb.

windows
http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/il3lfz
mac
http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/3szpjo
linux
http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/7gzsem

This story is designed to be read on auto (bottom right menu) though of course you can click to go forward if you like!

________________________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________________

Notes on reading;

Download the file then extract (unzip) to a suit able folder.
Within the folder you will see an 'exe' file with a Renpy logo like this.

Click on this and a window will launch, use the start button to proceed.
Once inside the story, click play, or scene selection (if you want to start part way through).

Ren'py, the program this novel is based on, is quite fully featured, but some things aren't obvious to first time users.
The bottom right menu on the 'reading' screen allows you to set your preferences, and save if you want to come back to the same point later.
Preferences allows you to set the music volume, text speed etc.
Auto is a handy function which saves you from having to click to see each sentence appear.
You can set the speed of 'auto' within the preferences.
You can use your mouse wheel to roll the text / pages backwards if you want to re-read, or missed something. You can also roll forwards to any points you have already read.

Ren'py, like Moviestorm, allows you control over your work, so if your assets are suitably licensed (eg pictures / music) you could make a novel, or game and sell it.
Ren'py is also free, and has a large online creative community, though it is fair to say the majority are into Manga / Anime, some have made extremely interesting novels and games in other styles.
http://www.renpy.org/
If you can code in python you can make custom functions, but there are a lot of ready made scripts available, I barely scratched the surface!

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

This really is excellent kkffoo.

In fact I am seriously considering abandoning the idea of making some of my stories into movies and using screenshots and Ren'Py instead. I think some of them would work better in this form.

It is not impossible (as you show) to produce classy imagery with MS but often a slightly quirky animation or dodgy walk can detract seriously from an otherwise excellent MS animation.

Thanks for yet more inspiring work!

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 930 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

Kate - FYI, I just loaded Ubuntu Linux on an old laptop and tried that version as an experiment and there doesn't seem to be an executable file in the folder.

#4 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

@Prima, there is so much more you can do witht hat program, and you'd be so much quicker at it withyour programming skills.

@Nahton...dang indeed. I have no way of testing that distribution. Thinking.

Having searched on the forums, the guy who wrote the program uses ubuntu so it is well supported, but it looks like there may be a few quirks.
I can't even open the linux package to see what's in there.
I'll just copy your query over to the help section at the lemmasoft forum and see if anyone has any ideas.
Thank you for trying this.

#5 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

The programmer replied to my query about linux;

Actually, all you need is ia32-libs. Then you should be able to run "Tea for Two.sh".

I hope that helps some?

#6 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1136 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Oct 4 2012, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In fact I am seriously considering abandoning the idea of making some of my stories into movies and using screenshots and Ren'Py instead. I think some of them would work better in this form.

It is not impossible (as you show) to produce classy imagery with MS but often a slightly quirky animation or dodgy walk can detract seriously from an otherwise excellent MS animation.

What Prima said!
This really is a gem. A story of longing that descends into farce - in a good way!

I'll certainly be looking at Ren'py as a potential medium for future projects smile.gif

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#7 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

That's really unexpected PN! I know I was interested in doing this kind of work...it was where I started out, making sims 'slideshow stories', but I didn't realise others would see the potential as well, or want to have a go.

There really is so much more you can do with RenPy, I really only used the most basic functions. It would be great fun to see what you (and Prima) could do.
This format really suits the way I work, as I tend to change things as I go along, and that doesn't fit well with using voice actors.
I can easily go back and change dialogue if something isn't working.

However you can use voice as well (and film), and I have read (viewed?) some visual novels which used sound effects instead of music to create a sense of place and atmosphere.

You can also put the game / work into a launcher so it is easier for people to play / read.
You can add mini games, make adventure type stories, with branching plotlines based on choices, create simulation games with scoring systems...and it is all free (that last bit was in a Kenny Everett voice)

#8 kibishipaul

kibishipaul

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Oct 4 2012, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really enjoyed this. Storyline was great with some truly funny dialog. Have to agree with Prima about the quirkiness of MS and am thinking of having a go with Ren'Py as well. Do you know if they have plans to get this to work on iPod/iPad? That would be a perfect home for this kind of story. Who knows, I may even get my students interested in reading!? laugh.gif

#9 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

Thank you KB!
As I've said before, I really loved the graphic novel style version you produced of Jeckyl and Hyde and I could really see you using this Visual / kinetic novel format.

As the program is a not for profit gnu type thingy I don't think they will go down the 'i' route.
However, there is a nearly complete android port, which is *I think* in alpha testing.
I know some game makers have converted their games / stories to that platform.

At the moment it is quite simple to create windows / mac / linux distributions. The android version needs a little more work.

There are other programs out there, some of which I have tried. Ren'py has the advantage of being a little like Moviestorm, in that it is not *too* hard to make a simple story, but that there's a lot of depth if you want to go further. The resulting story is portable...in that the person reading does not need to have downloaded Renpy to read the story.

One of the real draws for me is that the program attracts an active creative community, who are willing to help. The forums, while being a little hard to search sometimes (google advanced is your friend) usually have a selection of threads where soemone asked the same question you need to ask, which is a time saver..and if you can't find an answer of course you can post.
There's also an extensive online manual...which is a little lacking in examples. The program creator gave me a pdf copy so I could get it printed off on lulu.

#10 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Oct 15 2012, 07:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you KB!
As I've said before, I really loved the graphic novel style version you produced of Jeckyl and Hyde and I could really see you using this Visual / kinetic novel format.

As the program is a not for profit gnu type thingy I don't think they will go down the 'i' route.
However, there is a nearly complete android port, which is *I think* in alpha testing.
I know some game makers have converted their games / stories to that platform.

At the moment it is quite simple to create windows / mac / linux distributions. The android version needs a little more work.

There are other programs out there, some of which I have tried. Ren'py has the advantage of being a little like Moviestorm, in that it is not *too* hard to make a simple story, but that there's a lot of depth if you want to go further. The resulting story is portable...in that the person reading does not need to have downloaded Renpy to read the story.

One of the real draws for me is that the program attracts an active creative community, who are willing to help. The forums, while being a little hard to search sometimes (google advanced is your friend) usually have a selection of threads where soemone asked the same question you need to ask, which is a time saver..and if you can't find an answer of course you can post.
There's also an extensive online manual...which is a little lacking in examples. The program creator gave me a pdf copy so I could get it printed off on lulu.

For a simple start try this
http://www.renpy.org...ials/Quickstart
You can make a simple slideshow type story quite quickly.

this is the pdf manual http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/30lodc
Online live updated version
http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/

Forums are here
http://lemmasoft.ren...orums/index.php

Good place to find some example (shorter) games and stories
here http://lemmasoft.ren...wforum.php?f=53

Try not to be put off by the teen manga romance vibe, the most active members on the board are more varied in their output than that, and tend to be older.

#11 kibishipaul

kibishipaul

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for all this kkffoo. Some very useful explanations. Will try to make some stories of my own as soon as time allows. Can see all kinds of opportunities for education use here as well. Will definitely look into the android stuff as most people here have ditched computers in favor of smartphones, tablets and the like, especially the younger set and they're into online comics and stories they can read on the train to and from work/school.

kibishipaul

#12 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

I really hope you do try, this is a really interesting medium to work in!

I am slowly lurching towards starting another one of these, so any feedback and comments really welcome so i can feed that into the process!

#13 kibishipaul

kibishipaul

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

Having problems with this...., or would do if I could get it to start. Cannot get beyond 'Make new project'. I type in a title, give it a file to reside in, click continue and that is as far as I can get. The new project never shows up in the Launcher huh.gif

Attached File  screen_capture.png   43.18KB   3 downloads

These are the only two windows I get. Nothing is residing in the target folder.

Attached File  screen_capture_2.png   36.65KB   3 downloads

#14 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

I wonder if the text editor (not set) is the issue.
Are you able to click on that link?
I chose the special edition of editra which is available as a separate download (can't remember the sequence to get to that)
The text editor is the program you use to add script and dialogue & define images.
The special edition of editra uses colour coding as a visual aid which is very useful for me

#15 kibishipaul

kibishipaul

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Nov 2 2012, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if the text editor (not set) is the issue.
Are you able to click on that link?
I chose the special edition of editra which is available as a separate download (can't remember the sequence to get to that)
The text editor is the program you use to add script and dialogue & define images.
The special edition of editra uses colour coding as a visual aid which is very useful for me

No, it's not the issue. I redownloaded and tried again, but previously that link (editra) was clicked and I had exactly the same problem.

#16 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

There are too many unknowns for me to guess I'm afraid. Your best bet would be to make a post in the help forum here;

http://lemmasoft.ren...ewforum.php?f=8

#17 kibishipaul

kibishipaul

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Nov 2 2012, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are too many unknowns for me to guess I'm afraid. Your best bet would be to make a post in the help forum here;

http://lemmasoft.ren...ewforum.php?f=8

Thanks for the help Kate. I'll do as you suggest, but probably towards December since I know if I get to involved in this I'll be climbing up the wall for the next few weeks!

Cheers,

Paul

#18 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

There's always some sort of 'hump' to climb over with new programs, I wish I knew the answer.

I wonder if it is a mac thing?

#19 kibishipaul

kibishipaul

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Nov 2 2012, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if it is a mac thing?

It usually is sad.gif

#20 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 930 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

I finally got around to reading this, so my apologies for being so tardy.

As I was reading it my initial thought was how you'd constructed a light, subtle romantic comedy when before I knew it the subtle storyline began to unravel and it kicked the farce setting up to "11". It was great fun all around and use of Moviestorm to construct a kinetic novel worked wonderfully.