• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:06 PM

My first attempt at an "in space" movie using Moviestorm- I hope everyone enjoys! (There's a little "Easter Egg" for the good folks of Short Fuze to find!)

Athena Project: The Portal (Chapter 1)

http://www.moviestor...eServlet?id=298 (download, till streaming fixed)

Chapter 1 of the adventures of Matt Collier as he works to set things right. This episode, he encounters a black hole...

http://www.moviestor...5ee18c1f536d29a

Stream viewing availble at Veoh:
http://www.veoh.com/...1479871CtxjYKCX
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#2 revdoug

revdoug

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:37 AM

Bravo!

I liked everything but the fact that I'll be hanging on a cliff until Part 2!

revdoug

#3 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:39 AM

Going to go watch it NOW!!!

:mrgreen:

#4 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:04 AM

Fulkster that was really great, I loved the whole atmosphere of the movie and now I'm hanging out for part two.

Regards
Davids

Moviestorm still Number One

#5 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:05 AM

I really appreciate the kind words!

(I've suddenly noticed a couple little typos in the movie... I may or may not get them fixed in the next couple days... with this new install, my usual organization is a bit off... having a little trouble, I'm afraid!)

It looks like the build will be cool!

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#6 Melopee

Melopee

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 266 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:15 AM

Colourful, visual and spectacular sci-fi voyage into space! By the way, I saw the "Easter Egg", but I don't tell anyone :mrgreen:
Also thanks for the captions, Fulkster.
One alone does not help but
rather he who unites with many
others at the right moment.

Goethe

#7 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:20 AM

(Melopee)
Colourful, visual and spectacular sci-fi voyage into space! By the way, I saw the "Easter Egg", but I don't tell anyone :mrgreen:
Also thanks for the captions, Fulkster.

LOL... yes, we must have the Easter Egg be a surprise! It must shock them!!! 8)

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#8 CPT Destroyer

CPT Destroyer

Master Director

• Banned
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:34 AM

Very nicely made! Can't wait to see the next chapter! And I noticed the easter egg, as well. :mrgreen:

#9 Tom

Tom

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:53 AM

Some serious skills you got there.
And I must say that I am specially pleased to see quote from Gilbert Keith Chesterton, my favourite writer of all time. One of the reason I went to film school years ago was to learn how to make film adaptation of his novel "The Man Who Was Thursday".
One day...

#10 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

Thanks CPT... I'm looking forward to it, too! 8) (*cough, need Ancient Greece and/or Wild West pack*) (I remember I enjoyed your "Assassin".)

And Tom, I appreciate your kind words... I don't know about "serious" skills :oops: ... was it you (several months back) that had posted (a link to) a very good explanation on camera composition and such (I believe you wrote?) that I found very helpful? Either way, I've enjoyed what you do with your sweeping camera shots and imagery. That'd be cool to see you do a Chesterton novel!

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#11 StoryOfSelena

StoryOfSelena

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

Cool. Is this the first Sci-Fi Moviestorm video? smile.gif
Story of Selena Videos:
www.youtube.com/storyofselena

#12 zuckerman

zuckerman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:12 PM

hey, fulkster. i just caught the flick. s'really good. i love the atmosphere. nice tone you've set here.

#13 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:59 PM

Thanks SOS and Zuckerman!

I know the Short Fuze folks are tired of me asking for Sci Fi content... but they've come a long way in just a few months- it has me hopeful we'll all be doing all kinds of genres in a year or two. (But SF is my main interest.) Anyway, it might be considered the first MS Sci Fi... but if not the first Moviestorm Sci Fi, I think we could say it's the first "in-space adventure that has an encounter with a black hole" Sci Fi at Moviestorm! 8)

The atmosphere in MS is really fun to play with... the gel setting was something I got a big kick out of.

Thanks!

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#14 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:15 PM

Fulkster-
Very inspiring work. Despite the odds of nearly no Sci-Fi content, you've done it!

Looking forward to the continuing story.
"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#15 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:39 AM

This shows that it's the writing rather than the custom content which grips the viewer.
Great suspense, makes me want to see more.

#16 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:21 PM

Thanks MRJoyce and Kkffoo...

You know, paying homage to Johnnie (I am not worthy), if I got anything out of his (and Hugh's) "Machinima For Dummies" book... it's to plan out, write out, everything at the start... not just jump in. (And there's MUCH more there in the book as well!)

I appreciate you liked the story! More to come... :mrgreen:

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#17 febe films

febe films

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:02 PM

Really good, Fulkster - I liked it quite a lot a lot a lot!! The flying scenes were very well done with your work arounds. And I think the ship looks great - even without the scifi content pack!!

#18 Overman

Overman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 562 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:06 PM

One of the things that made this piece most interesting to me was the musical score.. What that contributed to the atmosphere is hard to describe but I think very important to the film. No reference to the music in the credits (unless I missed it), does that mean it was something you did yourself? Whatever it is, it worked really really well.

I also REALLY like the ship's voice, that gravelly synthesis. Nice!
Phil "Overman" Rice
Zarathustra Studios - http://z-studios.com
You can connect with us On Twitter, On Facebook, On YouTube, and On Vimeo.

#19 DavidB

DavidB

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:29 PM

1 - wonderful work, loved it
2 - if you /really/ want to get Sci Fi nearer to the top of our Shopping list, go through one or two of the other packs we have released and prepare a content list for a "Sci Fi starter pack" with roughly the same number of animations, assets, characters, variants etc and PM one of us with it.

Absolutely NO guarantees on timing as a lot is happening right now, but a well thought out list that is a good match to our productions scale and schedule is much more likely to get attention and therefore action.

Oh, and I would like the Robot from The Day The Earth Stood Still. Klaatu barrada nikto! And a Terminator. And an Alien. And the Predator. And Robbie. And an ID Monster. darn ... see how hard it is!
David J W Bailey ACA MA MSc GIBiol MInstD

blog.david.bailey.net www.twitter.com/davidjwbailey www.flickr.com/people/davidjwbailey

#20 gishzida

gishzida

Director

• Pioneers
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:48 PM

[SPOILER WARNING]

Fulkster,

Very well done. Effects are good. Great use of music. I'm trying to remember which SF movie I heard your robotic voice in... Very well done.

Nice job of the signal problem with the "video on the wall" but I also want to give you feedback that will help you build better stories.

So I have a quibble.... It's as small or as big as you want it to be. So please take this as constructive criticism [or the raving of a crazy fool, after all who am I anyway? :-) ]

One of the first rules of storytelling is: "Show, don't tell..."

see: http://www.sfwriter.com/ow04.htm

Your visual effects do a good job but the script is a little weak.

How?

The opening soliloquy could have been done a different way that would have help the viewer to immerse themself in the story. When writing a story you can do this "revelation" several ways that don't get in the way of telling the story.

I give you good credit for using screen head shots with some of the descriptions but it there are other ways of giving viewers information.

STOS and STNG used "Captain's log" to insert "discursive" information to set scenes up. The problem with this now is that the "ST universe" has beat this to death to the point of it being trite... unless that is part of what it is you are trying to convey.

Some time in the last week I was reading some where how descriptions in Science Fiction tell us what kind of "universe to expect"... in a visual medium this kind of telling is given as visual "clues". Do doors slide or they dilate? Do computers talk or connect directly to the brain?

Another way to tell back ground information is in conversation such as:

"So how is the implant functioning? Are you really able to do 'thus and so"?

"Yes. It's working as it was designed. I didn't think it would but you know was able 'splick and splock' without any difficulties"

or

let the character have a conversation with the "Googleverse". Allow it to reveal information and let the character react to that.

or conversation with the boss:

"I know that you were assigned to go to Blork but the Bizians have set up a blockage and are checking all traffic."

"A blockade? Why would they do that?"

Which can lead to either another piece of information disclosed or a request to investigate.

The conversation that was used did a pretty good job of moving the story along... it could have been used to reveal almost all of the information in the soliloquy

Still another way [used in most soap operas and old '30s serials] is to have an episode with the main character apparently die... only to have the hero in the next episode explain to a secondary character, "Well when the X started to Y and it looked like I was going to die I did thus and so..."

The idea is to drop the viewer into the middle of your story universe and your characters then get them involved with the story. Visual mediums like film and video were meant to fill the biggest processing portion of our brains: the visual cortex.... Conversation is just meant to be setting up the visual clues as to what a viewer is seeing... but too much conversation kills the visual impact because the viewer has to spend "brain clock ticks" to interpret the conversation.

You've done a good job of setting up visual effects and laying out the "universe"... Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing the next episode.