28 replies to this topic

#21 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

(johnnie)
I'd strongly recommend that everyone take the time to visit the Machiniplex and watch Kate and Mike's film, which really pushes the boundary's of what is increasingly being termed "Anymation".

Johnnie your words are too kind. Thank you.
I'd like to add a thought I had years ago when I was attending a class in the history of film at USC. In a less complicated world, the early filmmakers could literally pick up a camera a make a film. Mack Sennett use to chase the firetrucks to be able to put his Keystone Cops into the middle of actual events. To be able to experience film making in a simpler time, like Keaton, Chaplin or DW Griffith. And now I believe that is possible with the rise of Machinima and Anymation.
My biggest thanks to you founders of this new medium.
"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#22 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

(myjoyce)
Something profound and thought-provoking and awesome

Wow. That's just blown my mind - that's exactly why I love machinima, although I've never heard it put into words so succinctly before.
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#23 gToon

gToon

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:13 PM

Beautifully put, Michael. We had another burst of that kind of creativity just after world war II when 8/16mm cameras were cheap and new stocks of fast film enabled just about anyone to pick up a camera and make a film. Cassavettes, Brakhage, Jonas Mekas, Maya Deren and many others made films that are remarkable to this day. I suspect like Mack Sennett, they are our fore-fathers and fore-mothers.

Ricky
Machiniplex3 Blog -written by Ingrid, Jason & Ricky in support of the Machiniplex.com site

#24 Trinity

Trinity

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 618 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:58 PM

i've had SL installed for awhile although i don't really go there very often just to wander around. however, i do appreciate it for doing events. the idea of tons of people from all over logging in to attend some sort of specific activity, like a film premiere or a concert is just amazing, and to me, an excellent use of such an environment.

and huge congrats re Voices!
Writer / Producer / Director

DIGIPENDENCE.com - my blog about 3D moviemaking, machinima, animation, cinematic design, sequential art, graphic novels, web comix, fan films, and independent film, video & photo production.

#25 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:03 AM

(gToon)
It's this coming Sunday, April 27th at 12pm Pacific/ 8pm GM

I'm always happy to come on SL events, but is the premiere open or will there be...um...some sort of entrance fee?

Just wondering.

[witty signature pending]

#26 gToon

gToon

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:00 AM

The Machiniplex Premiere events are always free and open to anyone who can attend. The Second Life software is free to download and use. If you want to participate in the voice chat you'll need a headphone/mic combo which costs about $30 for a decent one. But many people attend without a mic and participate via the text chat which goes on simultaneously.

Hope you can make "Wizard of OS" this coming Sunday. Tom Jantol is a wonderful filmmaker and his live appearance will be quite..um...unique (if you know Tom)

cheers!
Machiniplex3 Blog -written by Ingrid, Jason & Ricky in support of the Machiniplex.com site

#27 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

I finally got a round to uploading Voices here so if you missed it at machniplex you can download it from

http://www.moviestor...Servlet?id=637

Sorry folks we've been so busy!

#28 Melopee

Melopee

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:30 PM

(kkffoo)
I finally got a round to uploading Voices here so if you missed it at machniplex you can download it from http://www.moviestor...oviePageServlet
Sorry folks we've been so busy!

Hey there, Kate! A little correction of the right link for the movie "Voices":
http://www.moviestor...eServlet?id=637

:wink:

#29 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

Thanks Melopee, I edited my links, hopefully these are working now.