39 replies to this topic

#1 BA

BA

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 455 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:03 PM

Are you the new daddy ?

Unfinished because the actors voices are not real but robotic, they will be added once recorded in January so the film should improve then. But the visuals and music is complete so you get a feel for the film.

http://www.moviestor...Servlet?id=1592
Matt and Dave Review our last film "Faith Hope and Charity". http://blackaceprodu...ious/Review.wma

#2 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:57 PM

Very nice! I love the look. If you tweak it, I strongly suggest one change: no one's talking after taking a shotgun blast to the chest from close range. Yeah, it's a quibble, but since you're generally going for a naturalistic style, I thought I would mention it.

#3 BA

BA

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 455 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

As I said, all the lines are placement holders. When the actor records that line he will be spitting blood and the line will be very strained. But I see your point.
Matt and Dave Review our last film "Faith Hope and Charity". http://blackaceprodu...ious/Review.wma

#4 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:45 PM

Despite the voices, this is already quite a leap in the quality we typically see. I love the lightning and all the very cool camera work. I'll be watching it again when the actor's dialogue is in place. Vey nice job on this BA. Congrats.

#5 BA

BA

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 455 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:39 PM

I have to thank Moviestorm staff for the camera work. When I visited their office I saw a copy of "Hollywood Camera Work" on one of the desks. Apparently it was the whole inspiration behind Moviestorm.

I got myself a copy and although the last 2 DVD's are not really applicable to what we do, the first 4 certainly are and really explained the rudiments of camera work.

If you have never seen these DVD's I would certainly recommend you do.

I was not going to post this film until the actors were recorded, but as I have to wait several weeks for that to happen, I just wanted some kind of closure on the project before the year ends.

Actually. I am open to a critique of this film. It is something that annoys me about these forums that sometimes there is a lot of back slapping but very little actual serious constructive critique.

As this is not the final version I would be happy for anyone to critique it for me and make the final version even better. For instance, Wills comments have been taken on board and although his comments do not constitute a complete critique, they are constructive comments that should be made and taken on board.

Please feel free to post a constructive critique.

And thanks to DavidWWW for providing the Baby talker and the Cot.

#6 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:41 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this, and shall be back to see it when the voices are added. Apart from Will's point about the shot-from-point-blank-range issue, there's not much to criticise after a first viewing.

Some excellent effects in there and every element seems to add to the mood. You're certainly raising the bar.
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#7 jleao

jleao

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

Thats probably the best movie i've seen made with Moviestorm. Its very much the style of suspensful movie i love to watch and very similar in tone to the one ive been working, so i really loved it...sorry but i cant find anything to criticise...i watched the 12 minutes without even noticing so i can only cangratulate you for your work and i will look forward to see the finished version as well as your next projects.

#8 act3scene24

act3scene24

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 857 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:34 AM

It was said earlier, but my only criticism would be the speaking after the shotgun blast. I think a handgun would be more suitable in the situation. Not to mention a handgun would obviously be easier for the woman to conceal, giving the man less of a chance to find it accidentally.

#9 BA

BA

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 455 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:42 AM

I got an E Mail from the screenwriter. Apparently she already has a log in account with Moviestorm.

I thought you did an amazing job on that. It was a joy for me to watch. I can't wait for the real actor's voices. That will make it absolutely fantastic. I'm going to leave a comment as soon as I can find my old sign-in information.

Btw, I've written a feature version of this short that will be shot in -09.

Keep me updated,

Pia :-)

Thank god, at least the screenwriters happy.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

#10 tkd27

tkd27

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 780 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:17 AM

BA - this was amazing. I congratulated reptor7 on raising the bar this week by making the best MS film yet - you have at the very least met that, if not exceeded it, IMHO. Fantastic. MS films are getting up there. I don't know how I'll ever "compete" with you guys, so to speak.

I agree to an extent with the criticism of the talking after the gunshot, but I get what you're going for, and I have absolute confidence that when the real voices are in place it'll be natural. Go with your gut on that one smile.gif

My only criticism - and this may be more of Moviestorm's shortcoming than your's - is that when the main character is discovering things, I don't get a sense of "franticness" (that is sooo not a word, but "being frantic"). Again, I think you probably did the best you could with MS's limitations.

All in all, an amazing film! Really inspiring. I'm not trying to just pat you on the back (smile.gif), but it's the truth! good job.

#11 corentino

corentino

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:41 PM

What a work,! I liked the atmosphere and the text of this film, wonderful ! A very good realization, very professionnal with ingenious plans, it is very well.

#12 thefr00n

thefr00n

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:11 PM

BA, that was an absolutely class piece of work. I am incredibly jealous of your talent, not just in making excellent choices of shots, but in how you command the software.

You've clearly got a grasp on MovieStorm that most people lack. Your movie doesn't so much raise the bar as launch it into space.

#13 BA

BA

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 455 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:10 AM

Thank you very much for your comments. I have just finished wrapping the kids presents for the morning and for me, this is a very good Christmas present in itself.

I can still see many flaws in this film and it is still a long way off what I would consider "The best I can do".

But I echo some comments made. You really do need a good script to start with. For this film I approached Swamp Tales Films and Pia gave me permission to make it. I thank her for that, she has left a comment on the films page under her Moviestorm login name. So search for the script your after if you are not a good writer, and ask, they can only say no after all.

I also would like to repeat my comments about the help the Moviestorm staff gave me. Pointing me in the direction of "Hollywood Camera Work" really makes a big difference if you want to understand how films should be made and how the interaction between the camera and the viewer works. It really is a must do course.

I also would like the thank DavidWWW for providing some of the props. Cheers Dave.

This is not my first film, I have made many others away from Moviestorm. But it is the first film I consider decent using Moviestorm.

I am looking forward to making more, but that walking gait HAS TO BE fixed. No one walks like that. smile.gif

#14 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

Nice work, BA! Especially the ambient sound! And that's a brilliant idea to go ahead and use text speech to further work on the film!

#15 sisch

sisch

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

Great work, BA!

I can't wait to see this once the actors voices are implemented - it will make it even better! smile.gif

I wouldn't change the gun (I happen to like bad ladies with big guns) - I'm sure once the voiceactor caughs out his lungs it will work very well.

The one little nit-pick I have is about the characters walking - I'm not sure if it's the default walk you used? I would suggest mixing "stride" with "walk" and slow it down somewhat to make the walking look more fluid (it might just be me, but the normal walk looks a bit robotic - the odd pauses in between steps).
Edit: I just saw your comment about walking - oookay, I should probably read all posts in a thread before answering... laugh.gif
But really, try mixing stride and walk - I'm very happy with the results!
Still I do agree we need more walk-styles... I still desperately want my hip-swinging female gait....

The camera work is exceptional, and I love the colouring and all the little touches, the sound, the sets, the lighting - definitely a work to be very proud of!

#16 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:37 AM

I was unable to watch it all the way through or download it. Something kept messing up but I do not know what. Have you uploaded it anywhere else where I could watch the whole thing?

#17 BA

BA

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

(lucindamc123)
I was unable to watch it all the way through or download it. Something kept messing up but I do not know what. Have you uploaded it anywhere else where I could watch the whole thing?

No I haven't. Strange, must either be your connection or the site, I have not heard of anyone else having problems.

#18 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

(BA)
(lucindamc123)

No I haven't. Strange, must either be your connection or the site, I have not heard of anyone else having problems.

It is strange. There are only two movies that have done that so far here on Moviestorm -- yours and Sisch's. And it isn't because it is buffering. It just stops. It might be the format in which you uploaded them. I know when I click download neither of them gives me the option to save to disk either.

I have tried several times to watch it. I am stuck now at the part where they are both in the bedroom, she in bed, he in a chair (I won't say much more so I don't give away the plot).

#19 BA

BA

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

I uploaded it in WMV format.

#20 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1136 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:00 AM

I had the same problem, only with the breakfast scene. Fortunately it was cleared by navigating away from the page and back again.

This has happened to me with one or two movies before now, and I put it down to bandwidth or traffic issues at MSHQ.

It is definitely intermittent, so I think it's a network issue rather than a movie issue.

PN

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!