24 replies to this topic

#1 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:40 AM

Here is a new experimental film. http://s164.photobuc...eAttraction.flv

This is a strange little tale told in a former Tombstone establishment. (Be forewarned that traditional Saloon paintings over the bar are present in the film.)

I decided to try out using backdrops for the walls. I also modded images onto Simple Props in order to make some new furniture items such as counters and display cases. I was also inspired by beta tester Tom who had a very interesting film called the Toy Box on his site. It wasn?t a Moviestorm product but it made interesting use of Crazy Talk for giving speech to inanimate objects. I am amazed how Moviestorm melds with other programs making it a very powerful but simple piece of software.

I am very interested in seeing the use of backdrops that Lucindamc123 has been talking about. I was impressed with the good use Matt showed early on which showed the excellent use of backdrops.

Each new Moviestorm version gets better and better.

"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#2 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:06 AM

You have a surreal sense of humour MrJoyce! I'm not sure if it is that you are more used to the program, or if the program itself has improved but I noticed much more smoothness in the animations (I noticed it myself in my latest piece and am asking myself the same question)

#3 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:48 AM

That was kind'a creepy! Loved it! I'm still trying to figure out that greenish statue at the end. I seen it move. I know I did.

*throws bottle of whisky away*

No more for me. :mrgreen:

#4 twak

twak

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:00 AM

great - love the audio!
-- twak

#5 Michelle

Michelle

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:54 PM

Nice use of backdrops and simple props, worked quite well.
My machinima:
http://britannicadreams.com/
More machinima:
http://www.mprem.com/

#6 revdoug

revdoug

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:35 PM

I'm deciding that was a good one. BRAVO!

revdoug

#7 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:04 PM

Very good, MRJoyce! (Almost sounds like stories told in a Douglas, AZ hotel!)
Thanks!
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#8 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:57 PM

Thank you for the comments. MS certainly emulates the film process very well. This is the first time I've found a program or use of hardware which really allows me to spin out ideas.

(Fulkster)
Very good, MRJoyce! (Almost sounds like stories told in a Douglas, AZ hotel!)
Thanks!

Fulkster, I figured the Merman was staying in the Birdcage basement way too long. Though it could be said I spent a bit too much time over at the Crystal Palace Saloon as well.

(kkffoo)
I'm not sure if it is that you are more used to the program, or if the program itself has improved but I noticed much more smoothness in the animations (I noticed it myself in my latest piece and am asking myself the same question)

Kkffoo, the animations do seem much smoother. I haven't spent much time with all of the Gestures and Moods which I think will add to the look as well. Each one of these short films were designed to test out some production solutions for a bigger project I have in mind. They may look surreal, but there is a mad purpose behind them. Can't wait until we have uneven terrain to work with.

(reptor7)
I'm still trying to figure out that greenish statue at the end. I seen it move. I know I did.

Reptor7, you did see it move. I applied Crazy Talk to it and composed the aninmatiobn over the scene. I thought the Cthulhu statue needed to see the light of day.

A big thanks to Tom for his inspiration.

Pineapple Pictures

#9 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:08 PM

Checked out the Crazy Talk site. Very cool!

#10 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:11 PM

Hey surreal is a good thing!

#11 Toriel

Toriel

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

Very cool movie. I loved it!

It looks like Cthulhu is the one singing and wistling the song LOL

I'll have to take a look at that Crazy Talk thing.

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.

May the Muses inspire you today.

#12 Kheri

Kheri

Wannabe film-maker

• Pioneers
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:43 PM

OK, this doesn't really have a lot to do with this particular film, but while watching this one, a question came to mind ...

Knowing your background, Mr. Joyce, I'm wondering if you have a preference of one medium over the other ... live action production vs machinima ... and other than the obvious, are there huge differences between the two when it comes to production ... is film making by any other medium still film making? :roll:

#13 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:23 PM

(Kheri)
OK, this doesn't really have a lot to do with this particular film, but while watching this one, a question came to mind ...

Knowing your background, Mr. Joyce, I'm wondering if you have a preference of one medium over the other ... live action production vs machinima ... and other than the obvious, are there huge differences between the two when it comes to production ... is film making by any other medium still film making? :roll:

Kheri,

Having done traditional film making since 1974, I would say for myself that in general - film making is still film making. My viewpoint is from that of the physical production of a motion picture. What is missing in machinima is the need for the assistance or hiring of a large group of people to make your film (for an anti-social or maybe anti-Hollywood type like myself this is a good thing). Also what is missing is the need to budget the project.

All the other disciplines I have used are still part of the process.
Some may argue that Machinima (at least in the form Moviestorm is presenting) is not the same as a movie production. But I can reflect on the hundreds of projects I have supervised and produced that no two of them were the same in all ways. But they all require in broad terms: an idea, a script, a schedule, preparation (sets, costumes, casting, etc), execution of the production (lighting, acting, cameras, effects, sound, etc.), post production (lab work, editing, visual effects, ADR sound, music, etc.) and finally distribution.

As I said budgeting the project (at least for myself) is not a step I have to take in machinima. But I refer to hardcore film budgeting and include the financing and accounting in that term.

I retired from Hollywood film making when it became apparent that the combination of my age and a physical disability made me not a "desireable" Line Producer to the younger studio executives. (Not an uncommon problem for the journeyman film industry workers of today.)

My expertise in the past was putting together the physical pieces of a production (crew, director, budgets, sets, cast,etc) and guiding them to an end result. Normally I either shared or had the Final Cut responsibility for the product I delivered.

Now with Moviestorm and other machinima tools, I hold all the cards (if I choose) and I find it very interesting and somewhat humbling to try to do the work I hired others to do for me. But it is a grand learning process. I don't expect to be an Orson Welles, but I can at least make product which interests me.

So in answer to your question, if you consider that a program like Moviestorm can fill the "production" needs for your project and that the prep and post can be done with already established programs, all you need is some talent or dream to allow you to experience the film making process. What you may be missing are the monetary costs (to a lesser degree) and the insane harping of studio executives whose last job may have been running a clothing business. I have always wanted to be a painter with a canvas, brushes, paints and a subject I wanted to create. Maybe this is it in machinima.

Pineapple Pictures

#14 Toriel

Toriel

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 395 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:30 PM

Great commentary Mr. Joyce.

I've noticed (from watching the different test movies made) that there is a lot of talent here. I feel lucky to be here.

Having people who are or have been in the business will set the bar higher but will also help me get better at movie making.
I'm looking forward to get comments on my future projects.

#15 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

Thank you Toriel,

And I haven't anything against TMO, but it is refreshing to interact with a more mature group of people here, as you have noted before. Moviestorm is a tool just like After Effects, Avid, Maya, 3DS and the rest. A real tool that is capable of great things. We just have to find it's voice.

Making a film whether live or in machinima is a big undertaking and those who venture into it's waters should be complimented for doing so.

I look forward to your future work.

Pineapple Pictures

#16 Toriel

Toriel

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 395 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:59 PM

(mrjoyce)
Making a film whether live or in machinima is a big undertaking and those who venture into it's waters should be complimented for doing so.

I look forward to your future work.

Thanks smile.gif

I've noticed that even with the pre-canned animations and everything, making a movie even with The Movies is a big undertaking. The Innsmouth Horror took me over 50 hours to make from writing the script to the final editing. Of course the tentacle scene (all image by image animation done in Photoshop) was very long to create.

I'm looking forward to working seriously with the final version of MS.

#17 Tom

Tom

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:57 AM

Now, this is my type of sense of humour. Excellent work, mrjoyce, accompanied with great commentary.
I am glad you like CrazyTalk. Crafted people like you prove that this little, but powerful program is one of the best "inventions" in software animation I ever saw.
You make my day with movie and commentary, mrjoyce.
I am so glad that I am in this beta program.
smile.gif

#18 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:02 AM

Tom,

It is my pleasure. I have become one of your biggest fans. Your articles on "Anymation" have fired me up to find a new voice for this work. Please keep mixing software and creating very innovative films.

Pineapple Pictures

#19 Kheri

Kheri

Wannabe film-maker

• Pioneers
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:11 PM

Thanks Mr. Joyce for that reply.

It is interesting to me to get your view on things, as I (being a hobbyist myself) have had only contact with other hobbyists in this experience.

I'm thinking, and you did touch on it, that the biggest difference between live action and machinima is the social aspect. LOL with the difficulty people have of getting along with each other these days, maybe an "anti-social medium" is a good thing. Pointing the finger at myself tongue.gif I find as I get older I am distancing myself further from others. So, the quiet time to plunge into a machinima project is often refreshing.

So you've come from an experience that required a network of individuals to "get the job done", and now you're a "one man show", and I'm suspecting from your response you like the change smile.gif

#20 Kheri

Kheri

Wannabe film-maker

• Pioneers
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

(Tom)
Now, this is my type of sense of humour. Excellent work, mrjoyce,

LOL amazing. When I watched this film from Mr. Joyce, I kept thinking about Tom. Mysterious mind waves at work here tongue.gif