• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:13 PM

I have finally finished The Tour - a 15 minute Moviestorm movie. Enjoy.

http://www.veoh.com/...v674567Wjxf9xBc

The above is the VEOH link. I just uploaded it and it is still processing. Sometimes this takes a day, sometimes only a few hours.

Moviestorm is a new animation and film editing program, still in beta testing phase, that will revolutionize machinima moviemaking. This film shows the ability you have with Moviestorm to construct large, originally designed sets. But it is more than just a demonstration. There is a constest and a little story in this film. Various actors from Two Moon Studios take you on a tour through several sets, Suburban Street, Small Town, St. Louis Cathedral and Square in New Orleans, hotel room, courtyard restaurant in New Orleans and a tropical beach. You can win all of these custom designed sets and all the backdrops used by guessing the four Hollywood movies referred to in these scenes. The last few scenes are a vignette about a young woman unable to decide if she wants to get married or not. The actors who did voiceovers are Sweatyshoulder, Lucinda McNary and Mark McNary.

#2 jleao

jleao

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:29 PM

Not yet playing (it says "Sorry! The video you requested is unavailable". But i will certainly check it out. Thanks.

#3 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:57 PM

(jleao)
Not yet playing (it says "Sorry! The video you requested is unavailable". But i will certainly check it out. Thanks.

It is now available - that was quicker than usual. It is running slow on my browser however there is a download option. It is in hi res. The only way I want my movies viewed.

#4 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:22 PM

Lucinda,
The possibilities are endless. With the right amount clarity or lack there of, you can achieve a rather nice depth of field. Did you use the backdrops just as they are or did you give some of them a Photoshop treatment such as the Dry Brush filter? I've seen that used on some backdrops in The Movies. I've also noticed using Tom's technique to give the backdrops a transparent quality you can make the edges (or even places in the center) follow the edges of buildings and objects. Not unlike a glass matte painting used in live film.

Well done!
"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#5 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:43 PM

Nice sets! Big too! Didn't catch the 5 movies. Too engrossed with looking at the sets. :thumbup:

#6 jleao

jleao

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:01 AM

Really nice sets Lucinda, congrats. Many possibilities there.

#7 Tom

Tom

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:00 AM

Some hard work was done here. And it shows. Very well done, lucindamc123.

#8 FLeeF

FLeeF

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:00 AM

Fine job, Lucinda! And kudos to the cast!

I managed to recognize Gone With The Wind and Streetcar Named Desire. STELLA! STELLAAAA! laugh.gif
The forecast is - MOVIESTORM!
www.FlingFilms.com My system: WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c -- Intel Core2 Duo 2.44GHz processor -- 2GB RAM -- nVidia GEForce 8800 GTS w/620MB

#9 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

You've been very creative here Lucinda, I particularly liked the beach shot when you panned along a row of trees.

#10 Noelle

Noelle

Director

• Pioneers
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

(Tom)
Some hard work was done here. And it shows. Very well done, lucindamc123.

Exactly what Tom said!

#11 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

Excellent movie tour lucindamc123, wonderful sets and good cast.
and the movies are.
Gone with the Wind
Sweet Bird of Youth (total guess with the aide of Google lol)
Long Hot Summer
Street Car Named Desire

Regards
Davidwww

Moviestorm still Number One

#12 matt

matt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 956 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:17 PM

It's great to see Moviestorm being used to create longer pieces which really draw you in, not just short clips & demos. A lot of people have said they want to create short movies, or even full-length ones, but very few of them actually have the stamina to do it. (I'm as guilty as anyone here, my ambition always exceeds the time available.) Congratulations on raising the bar - again!

Out of interest, Lucinda, how many hours did it take you to create that?
Matt Kelland
Moviestorm Founder

#13 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:47 PM

(matt)
It's great to see Moviestorm being used to create longer pieces which really draw you in, not just short clips & demos. A lot of people have said they want to create short movies, or even full-length ones, but very few of them actually have the stamina to do it. (I'm as guilty as anyone here, my ambition always exceeds the time available.) Congratulations on raising the bar - again!

Well thank you all. You certainly raise my spirits today. I have not yet figured out how to do transparent backdrops but yes I did do some of these with photoshop, sometimes I raise the resolution and then manually with a paintbrush tool, paint over different places in the picture to get it to look better. Sometimes I have pictures that are in themselves high enough resolution to use. And some of them are hand painted originals like the purple hotel bedroom backdrop.

HA HA, TIME -- way too much as my husband thinks. It is hard to calculate the time spent on this one as a lot of it was done when I was just learning. Now that I know what I am doing, I would say it could be done in about 4-8 hours depending upon the time it takes to render the scenes. The only time I let a scene run longer than that is when the character is singing because you need a really nice lip sync. I did notice though that the character Chance did not have as good lip movement when he sang as the charater Blanche did in the courtyard restaurant scene. But why I do not know.

Actually the hard part was not with Moviestorm at all but with my expensive movie editing program that I just spent another $89 on upgrading. So I learned the hard way to just use plain old free WMM to assemble all the scenes and render a full movie in hi resolution and then go into the other program to put the music and voice overs and special effects in.

I did learn too that it is best to render scenes that are no longer than a minute - in fact I prefer 30 seconds and then put them together in an outside editing program. That way you can get a nicer render with less time spent on it. When I have large groups of characters, I make a copy of the movie and then just keep re-rendering the same scene in different parts. That way each scene is in a different directory.

#14 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:09 PM

(matt)

I think Matt makes a good point here, it does take a lot stamina to complete a longer project, and that's without the extra problems you've had with your pc/ moviestorm Lucinda.
It's a real achievment to have completed this smile.gif

#15 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:56 PM

Kkffoo,
Just an old production viewpoint to keep in mind. When we make a film at the studio, I will break down the script into many small pieces. Then I will schedule them bit by bit. It is amazing how an overwhelming project just seems more manageable in parts.
So far with Moviestorm I have been interested in the R&D phase of the tool. Just what can we do with it. Now I am looking at a few more tests and then I figure I will start on a longer project. But first I will break it down and schedule the work to completion through Post. Should be an interesting journey.

Pineapple Pictures

#16 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:44 AM

Well it won't take so much time the next time. I had to reshoot a lot but now that I am cutting my movies down to small scenes - well partial scenes, it will be easier. And now that I know that my Pinnacle Studio is flawed, I know the way around that.

Well that I was able to create this with a buggy program (my Moviestorm), just shows you how stable this program is. Really it reminds me of our old house in St. Louis (105 years old) no matter what you do to those old houses, you cannot destroy them which is what makes them valuable today. But hopefully with Moviestorm 2 coming out I will have better luck.

#17 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:50 AM

That's a good tip MrJoyce and nice to know it's not just newbies that can find film-making overwhelming sometimes smile.gif
edit: yes Lucinda, it's amazing how much we learn from each film and sometimes the most frustrating bugs or problems teach us the most useful things...doesn't feel like it at the time though!

#18 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:34 AM

(mrjoyce)
Kkffoo,
Just an old production viewpoint to keep in mind. When we make a film at the studio, I will break down the script into many small pieces. Then I will schedule them bit by bit. It is amazing how an overwhelming project just seems more manageable in parts.
So far with Moviestorm I have been interested in the R&D phase of the tool. Just what can we do with it. Now I am looking at a few more tests and then I figure I will start on a longer project. But first I will break it down and schedule the work to completion through Post. Should be an interesting journey.

Well the way I found this out was just because the rendering time is so lengthy and I am impatient. So I make short sequences about 30 seconds at the most and then put them together in my movie editing program. But then I found out it is easier to break it down too.

Some stories I have to do are already written - that helps a lot, but when I have an idea and haven't written it yet, I organize it in a program called Celtix. I think that is the name and that helps get me past the places where I am stuck.

Of course when I get on the set with the actors, then sometimes I get a lot of other ideas but that is the fun part.

#19 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:23 AM

Just as a side note, I believe that many of the steps for live action filmmaking can be applicable to machinima. There is a very excellant book called Independent Filmmaker's Manual by LaLoggia and Wurmfeld. It is geared to live action filmmaking, but it is the only "all-in-one" book I've ever found which guides a filmmaker through the management side of a production. I've steered many professional companies to this book, just to understand what has to be done in a live action project. For the Machinimator I believe it may help ground them in the form and function of the Industry they may be attempting to emulate.

Pineapple Pictures

#20 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:58 PM

(mrjoyce)
Just as a side note, I believe that many of the steps for live action filmmaking can be applicable to machinima. There is a very excellant book called Independent Filmmaker's Manual by LaLoggia and Wurmfeld. It is geared to live action filmmaking, but it is the only "all-in-one" book I've ever found which guides a filmmaker through the management side of a production. I've steered many professional companies to this book, just to understand what has to be done in a live action project. For the Machinimator I believe it may help ground them in the form and function of the Industry they may be attempting to emulate.

Well thank you. I will pick up a copy of it. I am looking forward to seeing your Disneyland movie where you put Moviestorm characters against a live film sequence but it downloads a file that is not readable with any of my movie viewer programs. So I am wondering if your movie is not yet uploaded or what format it is in? My movie is uploaded but not viewable for me here, although other people may be able to view it. So I don't know if the movie player is not yet working here or not.

That is something I am planning to do - real film scenes with Moviestorm characters. Certainly will save a lot of time designing large sets.