• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 febe films

febe films

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:02 PM

Fleef - I saw it last night. Ah-ma-zing. In fact, I watched it a few times just to soak it all in!! (The wait was well worth it.) Your chromakeying was very impressive (no residual lines whatsoever, that I could see), and your attention to detail is inspiring. The reflections - the backdrops - the shadows - the depth of field - the humor: brilliant. I loved it. And, I imagine adding the "no game engines" tag line to the credits was quite fulfilling. Well done. smile.gif

#22 reanimator666

reanimator666

Wannabe film-maker

• Pioneers
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:19 PM

Now I have something to aspire to.

Really astonishingly good!

Clearly you are a filmaker as well as a MovieStorm Maestro.

I await your next opus with baited breath.
Rob

The picture is only there to keep the sound in sync.

#23 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:29 AM

Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree... I, too, hate the guy who decided to cancel Firefly. :mrgreen:
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#24 FLeeF

FLeeF

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:56 AM

Thank you all for watching it -- and for the kind words! It was a great experience for me. And everyone else involved seemed to enjoy their contribution. I can't wait to do it all over again!

Yes, febe_films, that last line was very fulfilling. biggrin.gif

@equinoxx: with all the crap shows they push at us and call a hit, it never ceases to amaze and infuriate me when quality writing and great chemistry are just tossed in the garbage by some stunted twit in an expensive suit.

The movie is uploaded to this site here:
http://www.moviestor...eServlet?id=166

It's also at http://www.FlingFilms.com/ and YouTube
The forecast is - MOVIESTORM!
www.FlingFilms.com My system: WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c -- Intel Core2 Duo 2.44GHz processor -- 2GB RAM -- nVidia GEForce 8800 GTS w/620MB

#25 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:27 PM

Fleef,
I also have to say I really like the reflections in the windows. Did you use the technique that Kkffoo documented some time ago, The Foolish Man http://www.moviestor...s/list/717.page or did you find a new way of doing it?

Again your work is great!
"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#26 Lionheart

Lionheart

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:05 PM

Congratulations, Fleef.
This, is amazing.

As I said, I really liked the use of backdrops and chroma...

...But I wonder...
How did you get the iMac and the iBook to the newspaper office?

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/LHMachinima

#27 Melopee

Melopee

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:18 PM

Altough my native language isn't English, I really enjoyed those gags (regular had a fit of the giggles), occur in this amusing movie. Fleef and all the fellow-workers, a clever piece of work all along the line. :thumbup:
One alone does not help but
rather he who unites with many
others at the right moment.

Goethe

#28 twak

twak

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:09 PM

Great job, I really enjoyed it. Awsome script. We gotta get chroma-key into storm sometime!
-- twak

#29 Tacoshack27

Tacoshack27

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:11 PM

Grreatwork, I was really impressed. Very stunning stuff.

Mike aka tacoshack27

#30 FLeeF

FLeeF

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:16 AM

(mrjoyce)
Fleef,
I also have to say I really like the reflections in the windows. Did you use the technique that Kkffoo documented some time ago, The Foolish Man http://www.moviestor...s/list/717.page or did you find a new way of doing it?

Again your work is great!

What I did was very similar.

I used my photograph (of the storefront) as a base layer in Vegas 6. I used an exact copy of the photo for the top layer, only that copy had all of the reflective surfaces blocked out with green (0, 255, 0).

Between those two layers I put the copies of the actors' tracks with a bit of transparency and bit of blur. Also, copies of the passing cars' tracks heavily blurred and slightly downsized.

The editing layers above the top photo contained the unadulterated actors and cars tracks again. Then I did a lot of tweaking on each layer to get it to look right.

I didn't bother to film the actors from the opposite direction because they were shown so briefly and from so far away.

Side note. I had a push-in on both the shoe store and fortune-teller storefronts. I actually keyframe enlarged all the layers together to simulate the camera slowly zooming in. That was a LOT of work getting everything to scale up in sync, but Ricky suggested I cut it for brevity and I agreed. It was good practice though. At least now I know I can recreate the effect if I need to.

(Lionheart)
Congratulations, Fleef.
This, is amazing.

As I said, I really liked the use of backdrops and chroma...

...But I wonder...
How did you get the iMac and the iBook to the newspaper office?

The iMac and iBook must be part of the Pioneer Pack because they were freely available to me in the set workshop.

Thank you to everybody who watched MRA and commented here! It was a fun learning experience for me.
www.FlingFilms.com My system: WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c -- Intel Core2 Duo 2.44GHz processor -- 2GB RAM -- nVidia GEForce 8800 GTS w/620MB

#31 Tom

Tom

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:28 AM

Frank, this movie is one of the best Machinima movies I ever saw. Some very serious skills you got. I am impressed and this is not the first time with you.

#32 FLeeF

FLeeF

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:34 AM

Tom... such a comment coming from one of my icons... I'm speechless.

#33 Tom

Tom

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:27 AM

He he, "icon"... Thanks for kind words.
Just to let you know, your film is more important than you think; I know that couple film makers (me included) become impatient with Moviestorm, because some very, very basic things are still missing. But after your work in Moviestorm I decided - and like I said, not just me - to continue with exploring of Moviestorm, even to use it in some serious work.
For me personally your movie is important for one more reason: you know that I constantly make movies with "important" themes - love, childhood, life, god and other pompous stuff
- but your movie reminded me that there is no such a thing like important or not important theme, that everything is Theme if you know how to do it.
Morning run? Brilliant.
I can't describe you how grateful I am.

#34 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:09 PM

Like B'man said, slick! Enjoyed it.
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#35 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:22 PM

Frank,

Thank you very much for the explanation of the reflections. Your techniques are just top notch and I am sure this will propel many others into the world of Machinima!!
"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#36 FLeeF

FLeeF

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:45 PM

Thanks again! If MRA can make a convert out of someone who may be wavering, then wow! That means I'm on my way toward paying back what was done for me.

Months ago I was on the verge of giving up on MStorm out of sheer frustration over my inability to figure out how to use it. Trying to interact with the camera controls had me yelling at my monitor on several occasions. Then I met Matt Kelland and watched him demo the software. Something clicked, and I went home with the few bits of necessary knowledge and a newfound enthusiasm. It stuck.

#37 ann garner

ann garner

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

Awsome Frank smile.gif

Ann Garner
Short Fuze Director of Marketing