• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 StoryOfSelena

StoryOfSelena

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:43 PM

I'd like to see an option to enable/disable users from downloading our video.

Story of Selena Videos:
www.youtube.com/storyofselena

#2 bengarrett1971

bengarrett1971

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:04 PM

Hi storyofselena,

That's a reasonable suggestion and would be pretty easy to implement* - I'll discuss it with the team.

Under what circumstances would you not wish people to be able to download your movie?

*on the other hand, I think the video player stores the downloaded file in a temporary directory somewhere, so I suspect people would be able to get access to the video file that way anyway.
Ben
Moviestorm Community Website Developer

#3 StoryOfSelena

StoryOfSelena

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:48 PM

I don't want viewers to download the file, because I don't want the possibility of it being modified, at this time.

Thanks ohmy.gif)
Story of Selena Videos:
www.youtube.com/storyofselena

#4 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:56 PM

You could issue your movie under one of the 'no derivatives' 'no commercial' creative commons licenses so long as you haven't used copyrighted or CC share alike music or resources.
You can't, like Ben says, really stop someone from downloading your work once it's on the net, but you can make your intentions clear and CC licenses are standing up in court.
If you are thinking of going commercial you would need proper legal advice of course.
What about a license filter Ben?

#5 bengarrett1971

bengarrett1971

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:42 AM

Hi storyofselena,

We discussed this idea and decided it might mislead people into thinking their movies are safe from direct access. Unfortunately this is not the case; as well as the temporary file stored on the viewer's PC (from the embedded video player), a cursory inspection of the page HTML would also provide anyone with the direct access URL of the file.

Once you've published your movie on the internet, there's a good chance any reasonably determined person will be able to get access to the file, I'm afraid.

So, we've decided against adding this - we don't want to lull our users into a false sense of security about the accessibility of their movie files!

Of course, as kkffoo says, you can declare (perhaps in the movie "outline" text field) your licence terms when you uploading a file.

Ben
Moviestorm Community Website Developer