6 replies to this topic

#1 tfish11

tfish11

Director

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:23 PM

Something puzzling me and I can't get my head around it. Can someone please explain how I film a rocket-ship travelling through space or towards a planet. I realise I need a backdrop but how does it fit with a black tar mac floor and how the hell can a camera follow it. Also how do I film another ship chasing the first ship and further how do I film one crash landing into a planet's surface. Any help please guys

Tony

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:12 PM

As long as your spaceship prop is movable you can just create a target shot on it and move it. The camera will follow it. People often just use a green concave background and superimpose imagery from software like Celestia on to it.

The problem most MS space movies have is that the ships can only turn around one axis so they can't bank while changing direction. They wouldn't have to bank in the vacuum of space anyway but it still looks better if they do ;)

You can fake the effect by rotating the camera (but that is pretty hard to get right) or bake an animation into the ship like I did here :- http://www.moviestor...w&vid_id=107153

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:12 PM

Something puzzling me and I can't get my head around it. Can someone please explain how I film a rocket-ship travelling through space or towards a planet. I realise I need a backdrop but how does it fit with a black tar mac floor and how the hell can a camera follow it. Also how do I film another ship chasing the first ship and further how do I film one crash landing into a planet's surface. Any help please guys

Tony

Something I do is to use green screens and layer shots together. That will allow you to go outside MS. MS is good for puppets and sets for animation but for Nature shots, Space shots, Mountains, etc... is not really good. If you are going to rotate the camera around the prop then you need to use a background prim. Tracking green screens is very difficult and almost impossible within MS. The program Celestia is fairly good and I think it is available on the MAC. You could create a background spaceshot and then layer a green screen rocket shot on top. 

An important question: do you have an outside editor? That will really make your life a lot easier. and of course allow you to chroma key the green screen on top of your background. BTW if what I am saying doesn't make sense just PM me. 

#4 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:13 PM

Tony

Something I do is to use green screens and layer shots together. That will allow you to go outside MS. MS is good for puppets and sets for animation but for Nature shots, Space shots, Mountains, etc... is not really good. If you are going to rotate the camera around the prop then you need to use a background prim. Tracking green screens is very difficult and almost impossible within MS. The program Celestia is fairly good and I think it is available on the MAC. You could create a background spaceshot and then layer a green screen rocket shot on top. 

An important question: do you have an outside editor? That will really make your life a lot easier. and of course allow you to chroma key the green screen on top of your background. BTW if what I am saying doesn't make sense just PM me. 

#5 tfish11

tfish11

Director

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:29 AM

Cheers Prima

#6 tfish11

tfish11

Director

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:30 AM

Cheers Pedro, I've already messaged you

#7 skarstensen

skarstensen

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Game Development

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

Slightly off-topic, but thanks for the Celestia mention.  You can never have too many (free) tools at your disposal!

Modern Marvels Entertainment on the YouTubes