12 replies to this topic

#1 tfish11

tfish11

Director

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:17 AM

Would any out there have an idea which TTS (Text To Speech) programme is best for a Mac. I'm currently using the built in application but I feel that some of my voices are a bit wooden and I can't use actors because I have far too many characters. I've decided to re-edit all of my films and try and make them slightly more realistic, plus my film-making has improved with practice. 

cheers Tony

TFish11

#2 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:19 PM

I think Ivona has really good voices. I have heard them in many places, but they are robotic. they are great for answering services or for biological robots. A single actor can do many voices and with a program to alter pitch and strength can do more. There is one called MorphVox from Screaming Bee for the PC, maybe there is one for the MAC. So, three actors could do like 20 characters, specially if they do not appear together.. 

#3 tfish11

tfish11

Director

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

Hi thanks for advice

I've got MorphVox and it only has four voices: giant, old hag, robot, and a space squirrel and unless i've overlooked something that is pretty poor I really can't use Actors I'm restricted to TTS and I'm looking for a quality sounding voice for my main character Sensual all the rest seem to be okay by me

#4 oluprince

oluprince

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

Hi guys, please I need assistance on how to get young child characters? I really want to make use of it in my movie producing with moviestorm software

#5 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:42 PM

Hi thanks for advice

I've got MorphVox and it only has four voices: giant, old hag, robot, and a space squirrel and unless i've overlooked something that is pretty poor I really can't use Actors I'm restricted to TTS and I'm looking for a quality sounding voice for my main character Sensual all the rest seem to be okay by me

There are about 40 voices that come with MorphVox. Many of them are like personality voices. You have to download them. Obviously, the purpose is to morph somebody's voice. 

#6 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:09 AM

I used the website at http://www.fromtexttospeech.com/for voices for my movies. Only problem is the site only saves in mp3 format so you have to convert to wav to use in Moviestorm.

I did use a problem called Balabolka which can be downloaded from www.cross-plus-a.com/balabolka.htm for my previous in 2009/2010.

#7 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:43 PM

Any decent TTS application, be it free (eg, Balabolka works great) or commercial, with the AT&T Natural Voices packs renders the best results according to my own experience. And then, I have to perform some delicate and concious edition on the sound rendered in order to make it sound more natural and less mechanical. It's a pain in the neck at best.

About, MorphVox and other voice morphing tools, my experience is rather limited but mostly negative. IMHO they are useless to produce any voices that sound minimally naturally. At most you can use any decent sound edition package and get the tone a bit shifted (less than an octave).

Apart from this, you have two options: using voice actors or learning to make voices.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#8 BrianGray

BrianGray

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:02 AM

So jamoram62 

Have you settled on a TTS program?

#9 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:25 AM

So jamoram62 

Have you settled on a TTS program?

Still looking for a satisfying and easy to use solution, but I'm a afraid there's no such thing in the current state of the art. Nevertheless, the arrangement I referred to (Balabolka TTS with ATT&Natural Voices for rendering the raw voices, and Audacity or Sony Sound Forge for tweaking them and make them sound a bit less robotic) seems to work reasonably well for me. But again, TTS will never be a replacement to a team of voice actors.

In the preliminary pre-production tests for my current project, a sci-fi movie still in the development process, I'm using TTS for some AI characters, but I'm making the voices for the two human characters in it. In fact, the former do a better voice acting performance than the latter :)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#10 Ichikaidan

Ichikaidan

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:42 PM

Hi.

Just after reading this thread i saw a link for Praat program

A free multi platform speech generator which lets you tweak phonetics.

I know this program for ages but never used it.

As a spoiled mac user i extensively use the system voices

But when I run out of them i wll give this surely a try.

Greets

Creating situations and learning to see.

#11 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

Hi.

Just after reading this thread i saw a link for Praat program

A free multi platform speech generator which lets you tweak phonetics.

I know this program for ages but never used it.

As a spoiled mac user i extensively use the system voices

But when I run out of them i wll give this surely a try.

Greets

Thanks a bunch, Ichikaidan. It looks a quite interesting piece of code.

I'll try it, but from the information and the papers in the site, it seems a very powerful tool more oriented to phonological research than a finished product for a casual user. I tell you I haven't tried yet but guess it expects a phonetics transcription as a input instead of a text in a specific language, say English, French or whatever. Should this be the case, ie being a language agnostic TTS generator,  it would be not problem: you could work with any human or alien language you can think of and even try to simulate whatever accent you know.

Very excited about this, being an amateur linguistic BTW.

EDIT: I've just made a first try with Praat, and for sure it's not an user-friendly tool. It's indeed an increndibly powerful and flexible program, but this comes at a price, and that's its complexity and the requirement of a thorough knowledge of phonetics. That's just my first impression and I'll keep trying.

#12 Ichikaidan

Ichikaidan

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

Well thanks jamoram62

After posting my reply i had a closer look and yes indeed it 's complicated

My error , thinking it accepts straightforward text and then let you tweak with it.

However i'm curious to know your experience.

Greets

Ichikaidan

Creating situations and learning to see.

#13 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

Well thanks jamoram62

After posting my reply i had a closer look and yes indeed it 's complicated

My error , thinking it accepts straightforward text and then let you tweak with it.

However i'm curious to know your experience.

Greets

Ichikaidan

In fact, it could be a quite useful tool, if you're thinking of making a movie featuring Klingonese or Ithkuil-speaking characters.

If so, I bet you won't get any decent results from any other commercial or free TTS application.

BTW you can read an extensive and interesting article about the Ithkuil conlang in http://www.newyorker...n-for-beginners