I need a really sad song...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 162

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:20 AM

This is open to any composer who wants to help out.

Understand that this must be incredibly sad; as if a harsh/regretful/tragic memory or secret has been told. It helps if there's a bit of force in the melody, creating a sort of driving feeling. As for the instrument, I hope for something similar to strings, due to the fact that I think string instruments provoke the most feeling.

#2 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

Have you tried using music licenced under Creative Commons, from places like Jamendo? The quality can vary wildly, but there's some real gems out there. Try searching Jamendo for the tag "orchestral". This track, for example, would seem to fit your criteria (CC AT-NC-SA).
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#3 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (johnnie @ May 10 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you tried using music licenced under Creative Commons, from places like Jamendo? The quality can vary wildly, but there's some real gems out there. Try searching Jamendo for the tag "orchestral". This track, for example, would seem to fit your criteria (CC AT-NC-SA).

The Free Sound Project is another good source. There are no "songs" as such (the original request didn't specify a song, but an instrumental piece), but there is music, speech and effects: http://www.freesound.org/

#4 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

www.musopen.com has lots of public domain stuff of classical nature. You might find something there.

#5 162

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:18 PM

Here's some pieces that have the vibes I am looking for. Perhaps you can make some suggestions?

"Samishige" - from "Mononoke Hime"

"People Siezed With Life" - from "Chrono Cross"

Mostly, it's the emotion and flowing feel I am looking for. These pieces best convey it.

#6 tomtitaudio

tomtitaudio

Film Critic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (162 @ May 9 2010, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is open to any composer who wants to help out.

Understand that this must be incredibly sad; as if a harsh/regretful/tragic memory or secret has been told. It helps if there's a bit of force in the melody, creating a sort of driving feeling. As for the instrument, I hope for something similar to strings, due to the fact that I think string instruments provoke the most feeling.

So its a song you require, not just music? Can you be any more specific re the required lyrical content?

#7 dpickett

dpickett

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

I could probably do this; I think a really deep piano would sound best with some strings panned to give a deeper sound. Please send me a PM if you want me to have go with some more details about the project, lyrics etc. smile.gif
Composer, Producer
David Pickett

#8 162

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:52 AM

QUOTE (tomtitaudio @ May 12 2010, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So its a song you require, not just music? Can you be any more specific re the required lyrical content?

No, just music (not excluding choir vocals, if you see it fit).

QUOTE (dpickett @ May 15 2010, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I could probably do this; I think a really deep piano would sound best with some strings panned to give a deeper sound. Please send me a PM if you want me to have go with some more details about the project, lyrics etc. smile.gif

Groovy.

I might use more than one song, mind you!

#9 dpickett

dpickett

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 448 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:21 AM

Okay.

Drop me a PM and I can get started! smile.gif
Composer, Producer
David Pickett

#10 sit80sfilms

sit80sfilms

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

I've got an orchestrated sad song you can have if you'd like. Or you can easily go to beemp3.com and type in American Beauty soundtrack. Click on the title, it will take you to a page where you can download it by clicking on the green link where it says. Click "save" on the pop up, then go to Documents, or Downloads. it should be in one of those. Not Music.

Attached Files

#11 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (sit80sfilms @ Jul 7 2010, 06:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or you can easily go to beemp3.com and type in American Beauty soundtrack. Click on the title, it will take you to a page where you can download it by clicking on the green link where it says.

Definitely not recommended. That site looks totally dodgy, full of typos (always a good indication) including in their LINK INFINGMENT AND REMOVAL ." section laugh.gif

Also read their CmA notice

Note :- User may not copy, reproduce, distribute, or create derivative works from this Content without expressly being authorized to do so by the Service or the Advertiser.

If you want to risk getting sued by Hollywood though....

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"