6 replies to this topic

#1 spenayoung

spenayoung

Director

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

Hola,

Been using MS for awhile. I tried to install some free addons (unsuccessfully using INSTALL A FILE) and when I went into MS my most recent files have disappeared entirely from my computer and hard drive, and the selection tool to choose a recent movie to work on is blank. I was able to create  a new file and save it, and was able to upload it from the menu, but I can't find my other files anymore anywhere.

I've tried searching by name, by files, by backups, by date...it's several movies missing outright. The characters and sets I created with those movies still exist. The actual movies are gone. In fact, anything after July 2014 is gone. Other older movie files revert to backups from June 2014, not the actual files that I was working on this fall and winter 2014. Only Moviestorm has been affected by this, none of my other applications.

Big SOS here. 

HELP!

Thanks,
Sabrina

I attached screenshots of the searches, what I see in the saved movies and the folder that is missing current files (would start out with filename URB [Scene Name] ). 

Would also want to know how NOT to do this again. Thankfully the project was done, but I can't do any revisions now because the original files are missing. 

Attached Files

Sabrina Pena Young
Composer/Filmmaker/Sci-fi Junkie
Libertaria: The Virtual Opera

You must unlearn what you have learned.
Visit My Website

#2 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:40 PM

That seems bad. I'm not quite sure what has happened here yes.

When you browse for movies, it's looking for the files movie.mscope and movie.summary in the relevant folders.

Do those files still exist in the relevant folders?

If they do, can you try copying the entire movies folder to a different location, and see if you can browse to it there? If that works, it may be that one bad movie is causing some exceptions and preventing the browsing to find subsequent ones from later on.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#3 spenayoung

spenayoung

Director

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:03 PM

I can't find the original files. All my Moviestorm files reverted back to June 11, 2014 files and before. Any updates to older files in the last six months and any new files are missing now. I will make a new folder for new projects, but I am not sure why they all disappeared??? 

Could I have accidently deleted them from within MS maybe? Not really sure? 

The sets and characters that I created in the last six months are all still there in the Stock. 

Sabrina Pena Young

Visit My Website

#4 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:17 PM

Moviestorm should only modify your current movie. If the files for other movies are gone or modified, it is likely something else in your operating system.

Had you done a windows system restore? That might plausibly affect lots of files at once, removing more recent versions?

Or do you have a file syncing setup, which you might have used to sync your files with an older backup (which plausibly deletes all newer files rather that backing them , if set up incorrectly)?

Have you changed your windows home folder? Or started using a different windows login? There could plausibly be saves in the Users/[username]/Moviestorm folder for a different user.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#5 spenayoung

spenayoung

Director

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:36 PM

My system is extremely buggy, unfortunately (running an older iMac). The whole system crashed this past summer, and though I was able to restore, it never was quite the same. Might be one of those issues you mentioned. I have at least two different MS locations since the crash. 

I will see if they are hiding under another username...totally possible at this point. Just saving my pennies for a new computer! :) 

This didn't affect anything else, just MS. Thankfully I was done with the two mega projects I was working on. 

Any suggestions for newer projects? Should I create a new movies folder? Thanx again! 

Sabrina Pena Young

Visit My Website

#6 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:46 PM

To some extent, it should not matter where you are saving your movies (provided you know where that is).

You might try a system wide search for files called movie.mscope and see if it locates them in unexpected places. Look at the folder names that the results are in, for the movie names.

Best bet is to just keep regular backups of your movies.

I understand that Macs have a backup system called 'Time Machine' which let you take incremental backups (and thus find old versions of things if they have been overwritten). It may well be worth working out how to use it, and getting an external drive or network address storage (NAS) to do the backups onto.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#7 spenayoung

spenayoung

Director

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:19 PM

Thanx! I did a search, but didn't find them. Have an external, but yeah, just hoping to update my computer in the coming year...fingers crossed! :)

Sabrina Pena Young

Visit My Website