• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

In the previous movie storm I was able to make the puppet go up with the ctrl shift keys (and up on the mouse of course), however it does not seem to work now. I tried it on a car and it worked, but the character will not budge even though the pointer changes to the up down arrows, I tried pointing at the puppet and doing it, also on his walk path markers but no joy. Am I suddenly doing something wrong, or has something gone wrong with the update?

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5410 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:15 PM

I think that is by design kv.

My understanding is that the Ctrl Shift was always an unofficial feature. Someone else reckoned that it's removal may have to do with the move towards MS supporting multi-levels and stairs.

But of course I could be completely wrong about all this!

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

damn, and to think I needed it in this movie I`m doing because I`m trying to put my puppet on a rooftop looking down on some people sad.gif

#4 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:57 PM

It would be nice if they made that a feature, along with the ability to, say, change their mood to something where they in effect become an object and can be moved like one. What I'm thinking is, imagine a war movie with someone being blown off their feet by a mortar shell, or a superhero movie where the villian punches the hero and he goes flying into the air or through a wall.
...or even, say, hit by a car and knocked off their feet or even thrown by something in some way. The possible uses are limited only by the imagination, and I can't imagine it would be too huge of an effort to have it happen.

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5410 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

Yeah I am avoiding moving to 1.1.7 for the time being in case my fleet of Zeppelins all end up grounded!

#6 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

Rampa got it working by using a 2d surface and lifting it up into the air with the puppet attached... using the "nav mesh thingy" ticked (in Modder's Workshop)... I had it working with a quick test on 1.1.7(preview) after he did.

(It doesn't work exactly like it did before, but with the nav mesh, it does work (at least, on the preview version)... your puppet can even walk on the elevated surface.) I don't have free time right now, but I can test it in a day or two if you still need help on that.

This is what Rampa did with the 1.1.7 preview version:

The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#7 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:54 PM

Now that looks like a great solution! I`ll see if I can work it out, but chances are I will need help. Great work Rampa and thankyou Fulkster for pointing that out! biggrin.gif

#8 Stormscape

Stormscape

Master Director

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

Man, the more I find out about 1.17, the LESS I want to upgrade.

I have several scenes that DEPEND on this. One example is having a character use the Sit On the Ground animation, then moving them up so that the appear to be seated inside a car. Another is a roof-top chase scene I've been working on.

If this has really been removed from 1.17, I don't see how I'll ever be able to upgrade and still do the car scenes without horrendously complex chroma-keying.

#9 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

Well I have not yet been able to work out this nav mesh thing, in honesty I can`t even find the option, if I am totally honest I`m baffled on how you make an invisible prop for it blink.gif

#10 Walvince

Walvince

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (Stormscape @ Oct 16 2009, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this has really been removed from 1.17, I don't see how I'll ever be able to upgrade and still do the car scenes without horrendously complex chroma-keying.

You still can use a chair and place it in your car. Now that you can hide objects in 1.1.7 you could use the "sit on the chair" animation and hide it.
Sorry in advance for my bad english^^

#11 roland303

roland303

Wannabe film-maker

• Pioneers
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

The moving of characters vertically was an unintended feature and regrettably has been removed. I read that some of you have great plans for this making it somewhat bad news.

The better news is that a new system is being developed to handle this, and some things beyond.

Finally, props can be moved vertically as they could before.

#12 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5410 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (roland303 @ Oct 20 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally, props can be moved vertically as they could before.

So Zeppelins are GO! wink.gif

#13 PapaG

PapaG

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 864 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:35 AM

Not even using the nave mesh Option is working not in 1.1.7. not in 1.1.7.1 no mesh here nothing and I need Multiy levels for some of the stuff I want to do how do we get Multiple Levels???? I need to get the puppet off the ground!!!

Gerald Lang

papag.jpg

I am around occasionally

#14 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:39 AM

Firstly the Nav mesh stuff is not supported yet by SF, its part of the new system for having multiple heights i think, we have access to it only because of the Modders Workshop, and therefore we use it at our own risk.

Ok, if you want your actors raised up above the floor follow Rampa's instructions HERE, in addition to ticking the 'Navigable' option in the Prop properties you will now also have to tick the 'Nav Mesh' option in the material editor.

So just to recap quickly:

1) Create your flat square prop in Sketchup and Import it into Modders Workshop in the usual way
2) Under the Prop properties make sure 'Navigable' is ticked
3) Under templates select the material and make sure 'Nav Mesh' and 'Invisible To Camera' are ticked, also its best to tick 'Z-Float' so its visible above the floor
4) Publish your mod, close Workshop and fire up MS

5) Create your set, select your actors etc
6) In Workshop View find your 'flat square prop' and place it on set, just on the ground for now
7) In Directors view choose your desired actor and left click on your square prop, you should see a 'Place Here' option, use it...your actor is now attached/linked to the prop
8) Go back to Workshop View, use the normal shift/ctrl method to raise your square prop up in the air, your actor will remain attached to it.

Finally go to camera view, your actor is floating in the air, the square prop being invisible to camera.

Ofc now in 1.1.7 you can make any material surface of a prop into a Nav Mesh, and so have your actors standing up on top of objects.

Again, please remember none of this is yet supported, and we all use it at our own risk, its already changed in how it works from 1.1.6 to 1.1.7, and will probably change again before it finally becomes a full feature of MS, so therefore any movies we make using it may break when a new patch comes.

Hopefully the new system will be officially with us soon, but in the meantime i hope this helps you to get by.

#15 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

Is there an alternative to this step?

1) Create your flat square prop in Sketchup and Import it into Modders Workshop in the usual way

Because Mac users can't import Sketchup, alas.

If any modder wanted to make the flying platform an addon, I suspect there would be some happy users.

Hint. Hint. And, you know, hint!

#16 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

Well, you could try making a Mod of one of the MS rugs, copy the folder its in to your own addon folder, rename the folder and the template.

Then in Modders Workshop find the new Mod version of the rug, and in Properties tick the 'Navigable' option, then go in templates, pick the default rug if there are more than one, make sure all Materials are set to 'invisible To camera', and then make sure the material which matches the top of the rug also has 'Nav mesh' ticked.

Save and Publish and you should have a rug in MS thats Navigable, in fact in the current version 1.1.7 you should be able to make a mod of any prop and make a surface on it navigable.

Again, to be tried at own risk, if you brake MS and have to re-install I was never here... wink.gif

#17 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:03 PM

daleh, that sounds like a worthwhile experiment, so I'll give it a try. Thanks!

(I also understand why modders would hesitate to share something that Short Fuze says has problems. Consider the hint deleted.)

#18 PapaG

PapaG

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 864 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:58 AM

Ok I am going to attempt this but if it don't work I am going to scream (though no one will hear me it will momentarily relieve a small Fraction of my Stress allowing me to be in a some what more sound frame of mind for when I make my Next Post)

Gerald Lang

papag.jpg

I am around occasionally

#19 PapaG

PapaG

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 864 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:04 AM

yah I got it to Work I am So Happy rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Gerald Lang

papag.jpg

I am around occasionally

#20 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:44 AM

PapaG is ahead of me; I've got my copy of the rug made and I've ticked naviagable, but I don't see how to go into the template to find Materials. Help, please?

(I know where to find and change Materials in puppets, but I haven't done anything with props before.)