• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 dpickett

dpickett

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

Look at what I have found for my movie, it is a perfect example of what I need so I would like someone to produce an add-on with the following assets:

http://sketchup.goog...2e0&prevstart=0

http://sketchup.goog...d6b&prevstart=0

http://sketchup.goog...3b&prevstart=12

I think they can be used in my movie because of Google's TOS? (Just re-read it). I would use the Importer but I am unsure as to whether the models are too large to work.
Composer, Producer
David Pickett

#2 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

These are very simple things to do. In fact, you could learn Sketchup yourself. Download it, give it a try and get back to me with any questions. I did all the sets of course for all my movies, Manhattan using Sketchup models and I knew nothing about modding a few weeks ago.

I know you can learn how to do this and you will not be disappointed. It is so nice now when I think about all the ways i used to go about trying to make something look the way I wanted it to and now all I do is go to sketchup, import a set or a prop and fiddle with it and import it into Moviestorm and have what I need right away.

#3 dpickett

dpickett

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

I think Sketchup is great and I learnt it many many years ago (about 5 actually! which is some time way back in the early versions!) I couldn't wait to start doing animations when the scenes feature was added and that's partly how I came across MS.

I am going to try and import them now, and will post what happens. I have a feeling the large "set" is too big but I will give it a go.

How long after clicking convert should I wait before force quiting?

EDIT: Sorry for shouting but IT WORKS!! I am really quite impressed, I had some great models in Sketchup from a few years back that I designed and now the process of getting them in MS is seamless.

Problem is how do I get the models to show up in MS itself?

REEDIT: It works fine after reading Angri's post on getting it to work. Problem is I ticked scalable and yet the main set prop is absolutely huge but fine for working on, it's just it's a little too big for me! Also, I cannot tick and publish with scalable ticked it keeps reverting to not ticked :?
Composer, Producer
David Pickett

#4 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

Great. Most models from sketchup work fine. The only ones I have a problem with are when people (mostly Google) use photographs for their textures. Those can be imported but they are very high poly and it is hard to get more than one building like that to work in Moviestorm at a time.

Another recent one I had problems with was a beautiful chandelier. No matter how much I tried to simplify it it just would not open in Moviestorm.

Okay you have imported your prop. I hope at first you scaled it pretty small in Sketchup. The reason is that you want for instance a set like my Wall Street set sits squarely in the center of the grid and takes about 1/2 of the grid space, it to be small enough. My Manhattan set which looks huge on the screen, is actually tiny. It almost looks like a toy when you put it on the grid, but I made it scalable in Moviestorm mod shop.

Open your Modder's Workshop again and look at the folders -- you will see PROPS, open the props folder and you should see your buidling or set listed. Click on that and you should see several folders, meshes, textures, templates, parts, so on -- open template up and your prop should appear on the grid.

Take a look at it and if it overfills the grid, take your original back into Sketchup and scale it smaller and import the new one. If it looks fine to you, click on SAVE and you will get a message that your template is saved, then go back to the first section of that props listing in the folders and underneath you will see the options you can have for a prop. You want to make sure you choose "stackable" "can be stacked on" and "can be walked on" as well as "scalable". Below that you will see the list of different ticks you can choose so that your prop appears in the different directories. And click those. YOu won't get a "saved message" for that one.

Then making sure you do not click on any other folders in that specific prop, log into your Modders Account right from the prop workshop. You will see the box with the list of your props, choose the right one and click "publish" a box will open up and you click "off" the tic box that asks if it needs a license, then click on Pack and it will tell you when your prop is packed, then click publish and that is it. Close the workshop, open Moviestorm, start a new movie and look for your prop in the right directory.

Sometimes large buildings take a bit of time to load. Actually now that I am either retexturing some of the Google buildings or making ones of my own, mine open pretty fast. Place it on your grid and finish the set decoration and you are ready to go.

#5 dpickett

dpickett

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:56 PM

I followed those instructions and it still says "Nothing to Customise"
Thanks for those instructions though! O and I don't have a SAVE button.
EDIT: Now I do have a SAVE button, it was hidden by my screen! Now I have thumbnails of the Models and they work fine but I still need the scale button.
Composer, Producer
David Pickett

#6 Reacher

Reacher

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

Make sure that your addon is the one selected in the top 'Current AddOn' drop box when you save. Then also be sure to publish.

You can also check the descriptors.xml file in your addon directory
...\Moviestorm Release\AddOn\\descriptors.xml on Windows.
Open in any text editor, find the lines within your new prop that look like:
      <entry>

<string>SCALABLE</string>

<boolean>true</boolean>

</entry>

If it says false instead of true, it didn't take but you can just change it here if you want a quick fix.

-- Reacher

#7 dpickett

dpickett

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

Good old .xml files! Turns out it was False, odd I did click it in Modders Workshop. Anyway I like editing .xml files as I do it for Rail Simulator Route Creation so if I can just add to the .xml it would be easy. It works thanks! I think I'll stick to the .xml for those changes now.
Composer, Producer
David Pickett

#8 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

Also, I cannot tick and publish with scalable ticked it keeps reverting to not ticked.
There is a "save" button on the way bottom of the page where "scalable" is selected. If you've saved and published and then come back and it's not ticked, something is wrong.

Have you saved on that page? When you save, it won't have a confirmation dialogue. It appears like nothing happens but it does save.

#9 dpickett

dpickett

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

Ah, that must be why. Still the .xmls are easy to read but I will give saving a go on my next import. One question, how can I delete a model or replace it with a new one?
Composer, Producer
David Pickett

#10 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

The best bet would be to go into the addon folder and delete the entire prop folder. Then, to be safe, before you re-import the prop, re-publish the addon. This way any reference to the prop is removed.

I think that I've just re-imported a prop with the same name and it's overwritten the old prop. However, I've had more than a few quirks with the Modshop recently and don't know what's causing them.

You could just try re-importing without deleting anything and see how it goes. That way, six months from now, you haven't wasted 8 hours of your life because I told you to be overly cautious.

#11 dpickett

dpickett

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

It's getting a little late and I have work tomorrow so it will be tomorrow at the earliest before I can try this out. I am removing some Google Earth data from one of the props.

I am simple amazed by how many models there in the 3D Warehouse to use!
Composer, Producer
David Pickett

#12 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

Millions!! Or so it seems.

About the Google TOS, yes you can use the Warehouse models in your films. In this case, the models are simply shown, not distributed. Now that you're using the importer, keep in mind that these addons you see around the MS forums, that are all Warehouse models, are in violation of the TOS.

One or two people won't get Google's attention. An entire community? I wouldn't want to be at that party when it got broken up.

#13 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

(AngriBuddhist)
Millions!! Or so it seems.

About the Google TOS, yes you can use the Warehouse models in your films. In this case, the models are simply shown, not distributed. Now that you're using the importer, keep in mind that these addons you see around the MS forums, that are all Warehouse models, are in violation of the TOS.

One or two people won't get Google's attention. An entire community? I wouldn't want to be at that party when it got broken up.

Excuse me, no they are not in violation of the TOS of 3d warehouse. You just can't sell them. You can use them in movies even commercial movies and you can alter and distribute them. Even the people who make original mods and put them in the 3D warehouse can't sell their models which is why I am not going to add my original models.

I read the TOS very carefully because of course my work is being distributed to ad agencies for possible contracts by an agent.

Here read this:

Oh by the way Google protects only the rights to the SOFTWARE used to create that website and the 3D warehouse not the content.

ou acknowledge and agree that the 3D Warehouse and any necessary software used in connection with Google services ("Software") contain proprietary and confidential information that is protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws. You further acknowledge and agree that Content contained in sponsor advertisements or information presented to you through Google services or advertisers is protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents or other proprietary rights and laws. Except as expressly authorized by Google or advertisers, you agree not to modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works based on Google services or the Software, in whole or in part.

Google grants you a personal, non-transferable and non-exclusive right and license to use the object code of its Software on a single computer; provided that you do not (and do not allow any third party to) copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, reverse assemble or otherwise attempt to discover any source code, sell, assign, sublicense, grant a security interest in or otherwise transfer any right in the Software. You agree not to modify the Software in any manner or form, or to use modified versions of the Software, including (without limitation) for the purpose of obtaining unauthorized access to Google services. You agree not to access the 3D Warehouse by any means other than through the interface that is provided by Google for use in accessing Google services.

Your Rights

Google claims no ownership or control over any Content submitted, posted or displayed by you on or through the 3D Warehouse. You or a third party licensor, as appropriate, retain all patent, trademark and copyright to any Content you submit, post or display on or through the 3D Warehouse and you are responsible for protecting those rights, as appropriate. By submitting, posting or displaying Content through the 3D Warehouse, you grant Google and its end users a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual license to exercise the rights in the Content, as stated below:

1. to reproduce the Content;
2. to create and reproduce derivative works of the Content;
3. to display publicly and distribute copies of the Content;
4. to display publicly and distribute copies of derivative works of the content.

Furthermore, for the avoidance of doubt, Google reserves, and you grant Google, the right to syndicate Content submitted, posted or displayed by you on or through the 3D Warehouse and use that Content in connection with any of the services offered by Google. Notwithstanding the above, end users may not aggregate the Content obtained from the 3D Warehouse for redistribution, and may not use or distribute Content obtained from the 3D Warehouse in a mapping or geographic application or service without Google?s prior authorization.

You retain the right to make the Content available under different license terms or to stop distributing the Content through the 3D Warehouse at any time; provided, however that any such election will not serve to withdraw the license granted under these Terms of Service. In order to stop distributing the Content through the 3D Warehouse, you must terminate these Terms of Service as set forth in Section 9, or utilize the content removal function provided within the service, in which case the content removal will be effective within two (2) days.

#14 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:52 PM

Notwithstanding the above, end users may not aggregate the Content obtained from the 3D Warehouse for redistribution, and may not use or distribute Content obtained from the 3D Warehouse in a mapping or geographic application or service without Google?s prior authorization.
You cannot aggregate (put together in one package) content from the 3d Warehouse for redistribution. This means that you can put them in an addon and use them yourself but you cannot share the addon.

#15 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

By aggregate, I assume it means to cluster an addon of more than 1 model. Sharing single 1 model addons should be okay? I think I remember a discussion about this somewhere.

#16 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:28 PM

Angri, if you're right, that just means you have to do individual addons: one house instead of six, etc.

My take is that until Google clarifies this, no one should worry about it. Lawyers aren't going to come after you if there's no money involved. At worst, they'll say, "Well, we bloody well meant ZXY, and you bloody well should've know that was what we meant when we said QJ4, so now we're saying ZXY, and don't do it again!"

Only they would probably say it nicer than that, because most lawyers prefer to escalate.

I think they just failed to anticipate this situation. New technology does that to legal language.

#17 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

reptor7 -

You're probably correct. It appears as if the TOS allows for the distribution of a single model. And yes, I brought up the TOS question before and that's where we focused on "aggregate".

Edit-

Will, it appears to be pretty spelled out. It says "don't bundle these models and share them" and doesn't say that it's ok to ignore that if you're not selling them. I'm not sure what would need to be clarified. I'm all for trying to get that changed but I'll not suggest to anyone to ignore it. You're right in the fact that Google probably won't sick the dogs on anyone if there's no money involved but, really, I'd hate for that to happen to someone without them at least being aware that it's a possibility.

#18 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

Angri, we can shake hands on "It's a murky area." I look at what's spelled out elsewhere, and I don't see a conflict in providing free addons, but that wording is quirky, I agree.

#19 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:55 AM

They mean that you cannot make another software application like the one Google has with Google Earth or Google Maps and distribute the props to be used in that application. Has nothing to do with using them making animated movies.

But be like that. I don't give a you know what if anyone uses my mods or props or anything. In fact I don't even give the addon links to anyone without them asking me first anyway. My movies look great and i know the people who use them will appreciate them. and I don't give a hoot what you say about anything I do either.

#20 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:08 AM

(Google)
Notwithstanding the above, end users may not aggregate the Content obtained from the 3D Warehouse for redistribution, and may not use or distribute Content obtained from the 3D Warehouse in a mapping or geographic application or service without Google?s prior authorization.
(lucindamc123)
They mean that you cannot make another software application like the one Google has with Google Earth or Google Maps and distribute the props to be used in that application.
No, that's not what they mean. The "and" in their sentence means that they've moved on to the next point and so shall I. I don't recall saying that you couldn't use the Warehouse models in a film. You can. You could use all of the Google Warehouse models in one film. There's no grey area about that. You're angry and I understand that. However, I'm not sure if altering my meaning and disregarding the subtleties of the english language are going to be the satisfying outlet that you're looking for.