• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

Here is a early test of a tiny puppet. It uses the "scale" in the "properties" file rather than being a different size skeleton/mesh. The idea being to utilize existing assets as much as possible. I have not added a head yet.

My thinking on Children puppets is that they can be made the same size as regular puppets so that the hair, heads, animations, accrsories, hand helds, etc. can be re-used. I copied the Male01, changed it to Child01, changed names in the files needed, and set the scale to .005 in the "properties file. . Sure beats starting from scratch. It is cool that the scale in the properties file adjusts everything about the puppet.

I figure the universal head can be made to look like a child's head, and the body meshes can be tweaked for children in Milkshape or Misfit.

Attached Files

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

Yeehah! wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Cool!!!! biggrin.gif

#4 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (rampa @ Nov 14 2013, 6:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I figure the universal head can be made to look like a child's head, ...

This was the bit we got most stuck on when we tried it - children's heads are a different size to adult heads, and making them larger without changing the spacing between the eye bones (because of wanting to run the same animations) made it look wierd.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#5 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

Yes. The younger the child, the greater the problem.

The female skeleton may actually be more suitable. I was planning to use both for some size variation, and also, they'll be able to interact with each other while being different sized children.

#6 Xolotl

Xolotl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (rampa @ Nov 14 2013, 5:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes. The younger the child, the greater the problem.

The female skeleton may actually be more suitable. I was planning to use both for some size variation, and also, they'll be able to interact with each other while being different sized children.

Looks great so far. Kids are always running around as if they're headless, anyhow.

#7 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Xolotl @ Nov 15 2013, 7:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks great so far. Kids are always running around as if they're headless, anyhow.

laugh.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#8 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

Got a head in. Haven't tried actually making my smaller puppet look like a child yet. I am going to switch to the female puppet skeleton as a base, as it's stature is closer to that of a child. The head is pretty much the same size as the male head, but the body/skeleton is shorter. With a same size head down lower, a "child" illusion is more likely achievable.

Attached Files

#9 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

Ben. It would be neat for the forum to see what your internal developments toward children have been.

Back in the day, the "Dev Blog" was for showcasing actual development. It was exciting to see ideas, even if they were just initial forays.

#10 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

The attached proportions chart is pretty much the reason we didn't just scale adults down to achieve children.

It's not just the head, the limb and spine lengths differ greatly until mid teens.

Attached Files

Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#11 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Chris. At least we don't have a Pupae form! laugh.gif

I'm thinking that the Female01 skeleton might squeak by as a 10 year old boy or girl.

#12 sburke3002

sburke3002

Master Director

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

Wow. Amazing work!  :P

My Moments in Love..."The Real Animated Soap Opera"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users