3 replies to this topic

#1 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:32 AM

For all the "newcomers"....

I just stumbled across another great thread from the "olden days". I thought it might be of interest to give you a bit more of a feel of what it was like back in the day on the MS forums. The majority of the people involved in the discussion have since moved on, so it is up to you to forge your own version of the community here ;)

http://www.moviestor...553&hl="&page=1

And here's an example of the kind of things people were making way back then, when the software was far less capable. Take it as a gauntlet thrown down ;)

http://www.moviestor...w&vid_id=100908

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#2 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:46 PM

Interesting topic,

I wish the MS community was bigger with many movies added every week by many different people. Making movies, is a laborious, time consuming and some times frustrating process. Depending on your tool set to make movies, it can also be very costly. There are also many learning curves. Your individual learning curve and the community's learning curve. 

The best community would be one where we all support each other and encourage movie making. Yes, even the bad ones. If you want to have "things evolve", you need a lot of creation and permutations. If we all  seat back expecting to see only exceptional work, we will all be sadly disappointed. Worst yet, it will eventually result in most of the people abandoning the "hobby".

Before I really got into MS, I was reading a forum at a movie hosting website and this person told the other that the MS community was "snobbish". Now, perhaps that was a while back, perhaps not anymore, but that was the impression they had. My experience has been different. But that was their opinion which can't be good for the collective future of this hobby which I love. 

So, my suggestion to us all is to  participate, help each other, collaborate and most important of all, MAKE MOVIES!. I know  it is a lot easier to be arm chair directors and internet movie critics. Perhaps making a movie is way too much work.  But this hobby will move forward as a function of the movies made as opposed to the Oscar worthy movies people would have made. Let's always keep that in mind. 

#3 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:07 PM

Before I really got into MS, I was reading a forum at a movie hosting website and this person told the other that the MS community was "snobbish". Now, perhaps that was a while back, perhaps not anymore, but that was the impression they had. My experience has been different. But that was their opinion which can't be good for the collective future of this hobby which I love. 

My own experience has been different too. There are always people who don't want to play nicely with an existing group and instead want to force their opinions and behaviours on others at any cost, but unless they were particularly objectionable e.g. abusing existing members, setting up fake logins to "one-star" others anonymously, or bombarding the forums with unwanted posts, this group was always very helpful and supportive. I received huge amounts of assistance and encouragement and in turn answered hundreds of calls for help and created dozens of mods for people over the years. Most people realise that they need to contribute to a forum and not just demand things. Those that don't usually end up being sidelined and think this is because the others are "snobby". 

You say (I paraphrase) "encourage the bad ones" and I would agree, but that you do this by suggesting ways in which they can improve, not by blindly telling them that their work is wonderful. If they remain immune to suggestion then ignore them and move on to others who care enough to want to improve.

Here are another couple of (very different) pieces to inspire :- 

http://www.moviestor...w&vid_id=101742

http://www.moviestor...w&vid_id=108342

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#4 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:52 AM

I agree. Those are two great examples. Prima, you are always there to lend a hand and help with your MS expertise. A piece of software this complex has needs that go beyond the obvious and the not so obvious. I hope that some of the people that were active before would come back. MS will become better as long as people continue to make the Movies. That is why I will try to encourage myself and others to make more and more movies. The quality will increase as a consequence. Human beings tend to inspire each other and improve with practice..