5 replies to this topic

#1 wilkesanimations

wilkesanimations

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:13 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm making a silent film for a course I am doing. This film needs to be animated and can't be any longer than 3 minutes (not including credits). Finally it must be proper classic silent film like the old Walt Disney Silent Films. However I have got writers block! blink.gif It really annoys me. If you have any ideas please message me or email me - wilkeswynterproductions@gmx.co.uk.

Please no abuse
Nathan Wilkes

#2 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

If it were me I'd probably start by thinking about a location. Where is the movie going to take place - in a boatyard, a bus station, a taxi rank, timber yard, shop, etc.? Then, having decided on the environment I'd start thinking about who would be there, what are their roles, why are they there, and how might they interact with one another. Then the ideas should start to flow.
Hope this helps.

#3 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (iceaxe @ May 8 2010, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it were me I'd probably start by thinking about a location. Where is the movie going to take place - in a boatyard, a bus station, a taxi rank, timber yard, shop, etc.? Then, having decided on the environment I'd start thinking about who would be there, what are their roles, why are they there, and how might they interact with one another. Then the ideas should start to flow.
Hope this helps.

yep i think "iceaxe" has hit the nail on the head. Atlot of silent comedy is slapstick which by it's nature is a visual enviroment based comedy....think Buster keaton, harold lloyd.....and bringingup to date "Mr Bean".

Take 1 imcompetant well meaning fool palce in cakeshop,building site etc etc ...let the fun begin cakes in faces , feet in buckets and people turning round with props smacking people repeatedly in head!

hope this is of some use goodluck wink.gif

#4 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:57 AM

I have to agree with what roguevirus wrote, a lot of silent movies or comedies. There were also some silent horror movies made like Nosferatu, etc.

I would suggest going to the Internet Archive and download some of the public domain silent movies and watch some of them, it might give you some idea about how silent movies are done. Check out the silent films section of Internet Archive at http://www.archive.o...ls/silent_films

Edited by EugeneE, 15 June 2010 - 04:58 AM.

#5 kibishipaul

kibishipaul

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

Not sure whether this is the inspiration you're looking for, but I've just made a silent movie for the one minute contest at Koinup. This was influenced more by Benny Hill, the old Carry On movie series and the great British tradition of double intendre. I set it in the Victorian period due to the current abundance of props for this era. The music - an important element of the silent genre comes from the Prelinger Archives. Link to the movie below;

Sarah's House of Tea

When the muse finally strikes I hope you post the result for us all to see laugh.gif

#6 egej

egej

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:writing, jazz, poetry, light Italian cooking

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:44 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm making a silent film

Why you choose this concept??