7 replies to this topic

#1 tfish11

tfish11

Director

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:15 PM

Sounds like a daft question but what's the point of using Green-screen in MS if you're not using any other editing apps in post production 

#2 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:06 PM

Sounds like a daft question but what's the point of using Green-screen in MS if you're not using any other editing apps in post production 

Probably no use. There is purpose for using Chroma Keying but it is all post production. It's actually cool that the capability is there. 

#3 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:20 PM

Yes, once you start using it, you may find it hard to imagine working without it.  It greatly --- vastly --- increases your options.  It is certainly true that development of MS has been a rather slow trickle for quite sometime.  The chroma feature is a great way, if nothing else, to take advantage of the leaps and strides in visual effects that've been made in other packages, while still maintaining the MS ease of use and general flexibility.    Pedrosura's landscapes and spacescapes are a good example of that.     There are many other uses for it as well, like what I and others have done with crowds or combining very high poly sets together for a nice visual finish.

#4 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:06 PM

BTW. I think that the best MS addon is an outside editor. Besides giving the capability of green screening a scene, the best capability is cutting the scene. 

Imagine you created a fight scene or a scene where a puppet walks into a house. By cutting all the camera shots, you can get rid off all the bad MS motions like the tight turns, weird unnatural expressions, etc... and show a crisp edited scene where you only show what you want the audience to see, nothing more. Also, you can create animations that don't exist because it is easy to mislead the audience with editing and camera angles and sound effects. 

The other advantage to outside editors is applying and creating your own filters: contrast, color correction, gamma, brightness etc... That right there will give it a style and mood before anything happens.

#5 tfish11

tfish11

Director

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:40 PM

Well I was using Final Cut but when I updated my Operating System I lost it, so I need to invest in the latest version. At the moment I'm stuck with I-Movie and it's limited as well as fiddly but it's the only way I can stich many scenes together to create a film/movie. I'm looking at Green-screen and Celestia but I just can't get my head around them as yet.

cheers

#6 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:27 PM

Well I was using Final Cut but when I updated my Operating System I lost it, so I need to invest in the latest version. At the moment I'm stuck with I-Movie and it's limited as well as fiddly but it's the only way I can stich many scenes together to create a film/movie. I'm looking at Green-screen and Celestia but I just can't get my head around them as yet.

cheers

Can't you use an old Final Cur version. No need to have the latest..

So, you need to record a movie in Celestia. Import it to i movie. The green screen layer goes on top. Then you use a chroma kjeyer function (whatever MAC calls it) and use as the keyer the same green color as in your green screen movie. The green color then dissappears leaving behind the objects minus the green and the Celestia background..

#7 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:27 PM

cheers

Can't you use an old Final Cur version. No need to have the latest..

So, you need to record a movie in Celestia. Import it to i movie. The green screen layer goes on top. Then you use a chroma kjeyer function (whatever MAC calls it) and use as the keyer the same green color as in your green screen movie. The green color then dissappears leaving behind the objects minus the green and the Celestia background..

#8 tfish11

tfish11

Director

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

No, old FC won't work with my new operating system but I will be buying new FC next year. I can use green-screen or at least I'm getting the hang of it, I just don't know how to record a movie in Celestia as yet I'm looking through the tutorials on you tube but theres not a lot to go on