8 replies to this topic

#1 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:20 AM

Hi,

I've applied an .avi file to a backdrop. The backdrop turns black. From research this might be due to the videos dimensions. I couldn't find any information on what MS considers an "acceptable dimension" but I'm I have a problem to address before that.

When running MS in a window, after I place the video on a backdrop, the backdrop turns black. I can move around the set and apparently interact with other items but once I hit "play" or drag the timeline marker over the video on the timeline I get an immediate crash to the desktop.

When NOT running MS in a window, the exact circumstances apply except the crash to desktop is instead a movable hour-glass cursor over an indefinately frozen MS.

The same happens whether the set is fully loaded or scantily clad.

Although MS has crashed many, many, many times on me, I cannot find a "hs_err_pid###.log" in the install4j directory.

#2 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

And...

#3 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:26 AM

And...

I keep getting this error when trying to upload the movie.mscope file...

HTTP Status 500 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

java.lang.NullPointerException
net.jforum.JForumExecutionContext.enableRollback(JForumExecutionContext.java:272)
net.jforum.JForum.service(JForum.java:209)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
net.jforum.util.legacy.clickstream.ClickstreamFilter.doFilter(ClickstreamFilter.java:59)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.5.20 logs.

#4 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:54 AM

Dude, what .avi codec did you use? When I tried to play videos on backdrops I used the Cinepak Codec by Radius. It plays quite well on any backdrop, tv screen, etc.

Strange, when a video does not work the screen or backdrop just turns transparent and my PC did not crash.
[witty signature pending]

#5 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:39 AM

Spongy, if there is a way to "use a codec" when playing videos on a backdrop, I wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

I've rendered out of MS and applied that .avi. I've also taken the MS .avi plopped it into Vegas Movie Studio, rendered it as a (Windows) .avi and applied it.

When I say "applied" I mean- Left click backdrop in Director Mode, click "play video", browse to file, click "ok".

If there are any other steps or something else I should do, I'd really super-duper love to hear about them.

#6 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

(AngriBuddhist)
Spongy, if there is a way to "use a codec" when playing videos on a backdrop, I wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

I've rendered out of MS and applied that .avi. I've also taken the MS .avi plopped it into Vegas Movie Studio, rendered it as a (Windows) .avi and applied it.

When I say "applied" I mean- Left click backdrop in Director Mode, click "play video", browse to file, click "ok".

If there are any other steps or something else I should do, I'd really super-duper love to hear about them.

From my "Down with the Sickness" video all the videos played on the TV screens and such are from MS.

First I rendered those MS files, then I ran them into Vegas, inserted special effects and rendered it out on 640x360, 25fps, 1500 kbps CBR video, using the Cinepak Codec by Radius. Then after rendering I place them on a custom folder on the project file, let's say, "Videos" or some sort, then go to Moviestorm, open your project and scene, then click a screen/backdrop, click play video, then find the video file on the "Videos" folder (or any folder you placed the rendered files into).

Also, a quick note: MAKE SURE HARDWARE SKINNING IS ON. I have noticed many special fx like the cel shading and video playback on backdrops are only applicable when you enable Hardware Skinning, so be sure to enable it when you plan to play videos on backdrops and screens.

P.S. The Cinepak Codec should always be available on a Windows OS. Also, MS reads the codecs immedietely and checks whether if it can be played or not. I have experimented with many formats and codecs before I knew Cinepak was one of the codecs compatible.
[witty signature pending]

#7 Synnah

Synnah

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

We've seen quite a few issues where trying to play video on props has caused a crash. Dave's currently looking into that. It's strange that you were having the crash when trying to use a movie output from Moviestorm, though.

Also hopefully implemented for the next release will be support for any codecs, which should make video-playing on props a lot less hit and miss. Watch this space, at any rate.
---------------------------
Short Fuze QA bloke

#8 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:14 AM

(Synnah)
It's strange that you were having the crash when trying to use a movie output from Moviestorm, though.

Also hopefully implemented for the next release will be support for any codecs, which should make video-playing on props a lot less hit and miss. Watch this space, at any rate.

I'm in the middle of a project that needs the use of video on backdrops and props.

Realizing that something "strange" is going on is fine. Maybe that means that it would be easier to locate the problem. Is there anything else that I could tell you that would help isolate the problem or lead to a potential solution?

Barring that, could you possibly be more specific on whether or not the next release will contain support for other codecs? I'm at the stage where I will need to reimagine or scrap this project if there is no hope on the horizon.

#9 Synnah

Synnah

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 410 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

Okay, a couple of things that would help, then: Have you been able to get any video at all to play on props? I've tried playing video with both hardware skinning and shaders disabled, and it works fine in both cases, so I don't think that's the problem. What would help us most is a copy of the movie you're trying to play, so we can see if it has the same effect here, and if it does, so we can determine what is causing it to fail. Can you email it to me at david.thatcher@moviestorm.co.uk? Thanks.

Oh, also, the hs_err_pid###.log files will be found in the directory you installed Moviestorm in. If you could send me one of those too, it would be a great help. Thanks again.
---------------------------
Short Fuze QA bloke