• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

I found this movie and i was curious how the Robot was done. It looks like the Male Puppet with total white makeup.

http://www.moviestor...w&vid_id=106546

00:21

Is this what they did??

I realized that there is no mod that I am are of to paint the face and /or body with a single color. Any ideas as to how it was done? Was it a makeup mod?

I am curious. 

In any case, I would be very interested in a mod like this and/or robot addons (I have read threads from way back where Chris www.moddingstrom.co.uk was talking about doing one)

#2 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:38 AM

...John Herd told me about your question on Facebook- I made the clip.  I haven't been working with MS for a while... I was really enjoying it for a very long time.  Best I remember of the little mock-up was that the face was a plain color, and I played with the texture and shininess layer.  (Sorry, I can't think of the terminology off-hand.)

The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#3 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:54 AM

...John Herd told me about your question on Facebook- I made the clip.  I haven't been working with MS for a while... I was really enjoying it for a very long time.  Best I remember of the little mock-up was that the face was a plain color, and I played with the texture and shininess layer.  (Sorry, I can't think of the terminology off-hand.)

I thought about asking you but when I saw the date of your last post I decided not to do it. When you say that you played with the texture and shininess layer.... Did you create a mod or did your modify the movie mscope file to hack the character somehow??

#4 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:25 PM

Well, It's been years since I posted anything here, but I got a hint that you were looking for a solution on this. I used to do it in the Modshop quite easily.

Find your texture and delete just the suffix ".DDS" from the file path of the diffuse, and save as a new template. I can't remember the saving a new template at the moment, but you probably know already. Don't forget the dot, or you'll have a pitch black model.

If you don't want to do it this "weird" way, you can check the boxes for "tintable" and "user image". You'll then be able to set any color and texture (JPG only, I think) in the dressing room. Then just load a white texture, or any texture, at that point.

Attached Files

#5 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:11 PM

Well, It's been years since I posted anything here, but I got a hint that you were looking for a solution on this. I used to do it in the Modshop quite easily.

Find your texture and delete just the suffix ".DDS" from the file path of the diffuse, and save as a new template. I can't remember the saving a new template at the moment, but you probably know already. Don't forget the dot, or you'll have a pitch black model.

If you don't want to do it this "weird" way, you can check the boxes for "tintable" and "user image". You'll then be able to set any color and texture (JPG only, I think) in the dressing room. Then just load a white texture, or any texture, at that point.

Thank you for this. Do I need to make a copy of the original Puppet? and then make another one for myself?

#6 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

If I recall correctly, you never need to copy the asset, just create a new template. There must be info on publishing in the Modding forum. Some of the other modders can probably be more helpful, as I'd have to go and re-figure it out.

#7 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:20 PM

If I recall correctly, you never need to copy the asset, just create a new template. There must be info on publishing in the Modding forum. Some of the other modders can probably be more helpful, as I'd have to go and re-figure it out.

Thank you. I'll have to look around. I couldn't find that screen you were showing me above but I found the directory where the *.dds file is and I changed the name temporarily and that did it. I want to make the tintable/texture mod. That would allow me to do the same. But for  now, the puppet looks like what  I was looking for. I owe you one:)

P.S. if you recall where in the modder's shop to find that screen let me know...

#8 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:42 AM

Look in "Puppets/Male/Bodyparts". Then find the body parts you want .

My very first MS mod was exactly what you did, set an existing head texture to pure white. The movie is long gone though.

#9 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:30 AM

Look in "Puppets/Male/Bodyparts". Then find the body parts you want .

My very first MS mod was exactly what you did, set an existing head texture to pure white. The movie is long gone though.

This is where I  have been looking but I can't find it. I can find it in the Moviestorm file structure, just not under the Modder's workshop.

#10 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:10 AM

In this pic, I chose "Universal Head" in the "bodyparts" folder.

Notice that I have "All" selected for "show addon" so I can see every bodypart I have. Wen I selected the "Universal Head", "Current Addon" switched to show what addon the head is in. Most things are in the "Moddersworkshop" addon.

Make sure you switch it to your addon before publishing, otherwise you'll corrupt the "Moddersworkshop" addon.

Attached Files

• Attached File  path.JPG   66.97KB   0 downloads

#11 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:01 AM

In this pic, I chose "Universal Head" in the "bodyparts" folder.

Notice that I have "All" selected for "show addon" so I can see every bodypart I have. Wen I selected the "Universal Head", "Current Addon" switched to show what addon the head is in. Most things are in the "Moddersworkshop" addon.

Make sure you switch it to your addon before publishing, otherwise you'll corrupt the "Moddersworkshop" addon.

I am not sure how you selected "Moddersworkshop". Below Root I have CORE, BASE01 and so on but no Moddersworkshop.  I don't see that as an option. I have several UniversalHeads, some of them AVK heads.  It sounds like you have to create an addon yourself before publishing? But you said not to copy it. So I am not sure which addon you are saying to add it on to.  All the addons that I created where imports from Sketchup. Is thisa addon just a copy from the original Universal Head?

#12 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:20 AM

I didn't select the "Moddersworkshop" specifically. What I was getting at is that the "Current Addon" indicator will switch to whatever addon the bodypart you select happens to be in. The one I selected just happened to be in the "Moddersworkshop" addon. You can choose any bodypart from any addon, and it will be reflected. You need to set current addon to the one you wish to publish when you are ready to do so.

Choosing one of your existing addons to save the template in is fine.

#13 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:06 AM

I didn't select the "Moddersworkshop" specifically. What I was getting at is that the "Current Addon" indicator will switch to whatever addon the bodypart you select happens to be in. The one I selected just happened to be in the "Moddersworkshop" addon. You can choose any bodypart from any addon, and it will be reflected. You need to set current addon to the one you wish to publish when you are ready to do so.

Choosing one of your existing addons to save the template in is fine.

What do you mean by "saving the template". Saving or publishing an addon. Or is that something else? I also, do not know of a Moddersworkshop addon. is that a real addon or is that what you call the moddersworkshop. I have not been able to locate the Euro_Young_NoBrow_2 face texture I can find it in the file structure but not in the modders workshop. The screenshot you post are great but they do not reflect what I see on my screen because I can't see how you got there. Once you get to that screen, on which addon do you publish that new face?

#14 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:58 AM

Here is the thread where you can download it if you like.

http://www.moviestor...?showtopic=6995

You might also check out the non-forum modding page.

http://www.moviestor....uk/hub/modding

If it's easier to go ahead and make a copy of the asset, it won't really hurt anything. I've just forgotten how to do some of the basic stuff of creating an addon. Sorry my memory is getting a bit vague on this, as I havn't used MS in years.

#15 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

I also, do not know of a Moddersworkshop addon. is that a real addon or is that what you call the moddersworkshop.

The moddersworkshop is an actual addon file like all the others. If you can't find moddersworkshop.addon in the Addons folder of your Moviesorm install folder it probably means you don't have it installed correctly (if at all) . Have you got a moddersworkshop password ?

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#16 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

The moddersworkshop is an actual addon file like all the others. If you can't find moddersworkshop.addon in the Addons folder of your Moviesorm install folder it probably means you don't have it installed correctly (if at all) . Have you got a moddersworkshop password ?

Yes Prima. I guess I have only imported stuff from Sketchup and published. i will look for it now.