• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Help!! Could some one please explain to me why my boats are tipping when moving.
I know its something simple like axis placement or maybe not or could it be AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! HELP! blink.gif

Attached File  My_Movie___Part_3_Main_Camera_120214_220135.jpg   62.37KB   10 downloads
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--

#2 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

In the modder's workshop, look at a car. It's pointing towards you - that is the forward direction for the car.

If you now look at one of your boats, it is probably not pointing towards you. If that is the case, then it won't go forwards when you make it move.

In the 3d program used to make the boat, it needs to be pointing towards you in that same way, so that when you import it into the modder's workshop it is pointing towards you.

If you do not have the ability to change the original models, then you could try putting the boats on top of something else that is mobile (which you can hide), and drag that thing instead.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#3 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:06 AM

Hi Ben,
I thought as much myself so I double checked the directions and they checked out fine. angry.gif
What the models tend to be doing are tipping which is very strange. sad.gif
I'm going to have a bit more of a play around and see if I can work it out blink.gif

I had a Keel and rudder on my Yacht which I placed under the water line, so I removed the keel and rudder and placed the yacht flat on the
water and it worked fine. Though one of my ships doesn't have a keel or rudder and it tips blink.gif
back to the drawing board sad.gif
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5410 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (sosberg @ Feb 13 2014, 5:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Ben,
I thought as much myself so I double checked the directions and they checked out fine. angry.gif
What the models tend to be doing are tipping which is very strange. sad.gif
I'm going to have a bit more of a play around and see if I can work it out blink.gif

Make sure that in Google SketchUp the boat is oriented with the solid green axis coming out of its rear and the solid red axis out of it's port side. And place the zero axis point in the middle of the boat.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:13 AM

I had the Red and green right but the zero I had towards the front of the boat.
I find when doing the same with cars it works better wink.gif
--PATRICK STEWART--