• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:08 AM

The link below will take you to a sneak peak for GONE and give a few more details about the actors who are in the movie. Enjoy the trailer. The music is by Blood Ruby and the song is Underwater Place. I wanted so to have a video to go along with a song that the main character, Carly is singing because it seemed too boring to me to just watch her sing, so to go along with the theme of the song, I wanted an underwater video. HA HA, little did I know there is nothing available that is decent that is under $900. Now I could spend that kind of money for a 3 minute video, but my husband would be pretty mad. So I decided to experiment with Moviestorm and Pinnacle and I came up with not only something really nice but found out a whole lot about the special effects I can do. This is an AVI and it won't play on the player here but I do not know why so you will have to download it.

I've uploaded other AVI files here and they played fine so I don't know why this one won't.

http://www.moviestor...eServlet?id=541

#2 Nexusinteract

Nexusinteract

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:41 AM

I reviewed it. You guys should have a rating system.
John 13:34-35 (NLT) 34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples."

#3 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

Cool! Those colorful effects reminds me of the 3D Maze screensaver in my Win98.

BTW - the file was HUGE - wow - I was expecting a 1280x720 on 5MBPS or larger something file but it was just 320x240, what codec did you use? .mp4 and .wmv files are better than .avis (unless its xvid, divx, or h.264 avi) in terms of compression. I never had a problem downloading anyways.

(Nexusinteract)
I reviewed it. You guys should have a rating system.

I would enjoy having a star-rating system, however, this thread states how star ratings can be quite - uncomfortable for some users. I would a feature of giving a movie a "like" or "thumbs up" when I would enjoy it, and leave it without one if I didn't like it.

(lucindamc123)
This is an AVI and it won't play on the player here but I do not know why so you will have to download it.

I believe .mp4 and .mov files automatically play in the page if Quicktime is installed. .wmv files seems to stream automatically in the page too.
[witty signature pending]

#4 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

I have not been able to get WMV files to play here. The reason I did the AVI file was that AVI's streamed previously but not this time. The MPEG4 file was just too large - like 900 MG, believe it or not for a 3 minute film. But I don't know why this AVI file wouldn't play or stream from here this time.

When I made a smaller file it really reduced the quality quite a bit. I don't want any of my movies viewed in reduced quality. That is just the way I am about my work. All these movies play great on VEOH and everywhere else no matter what codec I use so I wish they would improve the player here. I will have the VEOH version up today sometime. It will be high quality and larger size.

However, I made another try and used DIVX and got great quality and a much smaller file size - 27 mg as compared to almost 100 MG. I also cut the film down to 2 minutes 40 seconds. So this is encouraging. It still doesn't stream here though, however, it will not be so difficult for all of you to download.

I don't think ratings systems are necessary here. This is more of a school -the forum - everyone here is making movies and a lot of people are putting up test films or just sharing things they have learned about the software.. And not everyone is as skilled with the software as everyone else.. I would never bash anyone's movie on this forum. Everyone is learning here and we all want the software to be utilized and for people to learn how to do this. The more people who become skilled at machinima, the more popular this art form will become

I download all the movies I watch anyway. Even the ones that stream here and most other movie sites just play too slow - the buffering is just too slow.

And I have hi speed DSL in our house so I don't know if there is any way to improve this. However, I also have FTP on my own website, but no video streaming yet. Transferring files over FTP is very, very fast.

#5 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:32 PM

Rendering Tutorial

I wrote a tutorial on rendering, it should help with compressing very large video files. I don't quite understand why would .mp4 be larger than .avi, perhaps the codec wasn't h.264. Also, Overman's Rendering Workflow uses a similar concept.

I made a 1280x720, a minute longer than your GONE trailer. The file size went only as large as 21MB. It was a .wmv file.

As I have used Pinnacle since the eigth version, I noted it features only a few rendering options (.avi, .wmv, .mpeg and other common video file formats).

VEOH and every video streaming site converts videos to .flv formats. For normal video they keep the bitrate below 1MBPS and for High Definition they keep them below 5MBPS. So uploading a large file can be quite helpful to increase quality.

Yes, the Moviestorm community composes of many people who would like to learn, not compete. So star ratings would be shortsighted. While I was in The Sims 2 there was no time to learn. You have to blow away the competition, steal their fans away from them. When I give constructive criticisms to other people on Youtube, I'll expect a mailbox full of hate comments and my videos attacked by one-star ratings, etc. I'm not comfortable uploading to Youtube anymore. Nobody's there watching my videos anymore. My sims 2 movies get a thousand views and my Moviestorm and Antics films gets only a hundred or less.

I had pain with uploading, my cable ISP is messing up around again. I download at an average of 48 kbps but upload at an average of 5kbps only. I already contacted them but they don't even have a clue of what's going on. I'm trying to upgrade to a 3MBPS broadband, but the bills are too high for now for me to upgrade. So the only solution for me to showcase my work is to compress my files to the maximum, even if I need to take the whole day for rendering of a five minute video to complete.
[witty signature pending]

#6 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

Wonderful trailer lucindamc123, really liked the song, looking forward to seeing the full movie.

Regards
David

Moviestorm still Number One

#7 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

(davidwww)
Wonderful trailer lucindamc123, really liked the song, looking forward to seeing the full movie.

Regards
David

Thanks David, I look forward to release the full movie too.

As far as codecs go, I still have problems getting a small wmv when I choose HD 1280/720. However I did just redo the movie to DIVX and reupload it and it is fantastic. Better quality than the other AVI and very small file. So I think I will stick to DIVX from now on. I reduced the file size from almost 100 MG to 27 and yet the viewing size is larger and the quality just as good.

#8 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:33 PM

For a all the actors in this film, musicians and a few other people, a rough cut of GONE may be released this weekend. I would like honest appraisal and critiques so that i can learn where to cut things that are unecessary and where to expand things that maybe are not clear enough for the storyline. If you are interested in getting the link to the rough cut version of GONE, let me know and I will PM you the link when I have it online. For ease of downloading this file, this will be a medium resolution version and it will be a DIVX avi file. So please let me know. I rely heavily on audience reaction to my movies and I do really listen to you and your ideas. Thank you so much for your interest.

To all who receive the link, do not be afraid to speak truthfully. This is the way I learn how to make films. I am not thin skinned anymore. If you hate it, that is fine but be specific and please don't just say you love it when you don't just to make me happy or be afraid you are hurting my feelings.

#9 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:14 AM

(lucindamc123)
For a all the actors in this film, musicians and a few other people, a rough cut of GONE may be released this weekend. I would like honest appraisal and critiques so that i can learn where to cut things that are unecessary and where to expand things that maybe are not clear enough for the storyline. If you are interested in getting the link to the rough cut version of GONE, let me know and I will PM you the link when I have it online. For ease of downloading this file, this will be a medium resolution version and it will be a DIVX avi file. So please let me know. I rely heavily on audience reaction to my movies and I do really listen to you and your ideas. Thank you so much for your interest.

To all who receive the link, do not be afraid to speak truthfully. This is the way I learn how to make films. I am not thin skinned anymore. If you hate it, that is fine but be specific and please don't just say you love it when you don't just to make me happy or be afraid you are hurting my feelings.

Count me in. I'd love to see the rough cut of your movie and I'm interested in reviewing it.

#10 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:43 AM

lucindamc123, I would like to have a look at your rough cut of GONE, I'm no expert but I will let you know what I think.

Regards
David

Moviestorm still Number One

#11 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

Thanks a lot Spongy and Davidwww. I will be happy to have you review the pre-release. It should be done in a day or two.

#12 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:46 AM

Lucinda,
Nicely done. Great use of color.
"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#13 CPT Destroyer

CPT Destroyer

Master Director

• Banned
  • 343 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

Wow, great trailer. I look forward to seeing the full movie! :mrgreen:

#14 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

Hey thanks MRJoyce and CPTDestroyer. It was a lot of fun to do the underwater scene and to find out that it could be done. CPT, never forgot what a great job you did with a voice over on Tangent. Shooting is going well. Ever the perfectionist, I am again reshooting an older scene that was done before the new animations, i.e. graceful walks, etc. were available. But still I am going to have a release date of April 15. My husband finally did his lines and he is great. He is very funny and he improvises a lot too. My teenage daughter, ever the prima donna, is refusing to do a final three lines. I think she is holding out for money.

#15 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:36 AM

The movie is almost finished. I have sent a sneak preview of the movie in low resolution to all the actors and those who expressed interest in giving me feedback before I release the movie.

Since I am having problems with Pinnacle with being able to render such a large file, I am switching to Sony Vegas Pro and hopefully I will find a codec I can use with a resolution high enough to please me and sterio sound that will actually be able to be rendered as an entire movie.

I will have the hi res version here on Moviestorm tomorrow night but because it is about 500 mg - 700 mg file, I will have to split it into parts. I just do not like my work to be seen in low resolution. It kind of defeats the purpose.