• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

Is it possible to get the IP address here. The reason is that I have good FTP software and I can upload movies much quicker if I can use my FTP software. Also I will be able to download movies and content packs much quicker. This would help out a lot as I watch all the movies here and for some reason I cannot get quicktime to play the movies HERE online even though I installed the latest version of Quicktime and any other software that plays online videos.

#2 bengarrett1971

bengarrett1971

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:25 PM

Hi Lucinda,

I'm afraid we do not have a publicly accessible FTP server on our web machine. Movies have to be uploaded via the website (because, as well as storing the movie file on disk, we also write meta data about the movie in our database).

As far as downloads are concerned, you should be able to use download manager software to get movies and content packs - the website supports the sort of "chunked" downloading method that these sort of programs usually use.

Whether you'll get a faster download as a result depends where the weakest link in the chain of communication is!

Ben
Moviestorm Community Website Developer

#3 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:45 PM

FTP is so great. Wish you had it available. Well the content packs download fine and finally the JAVA upload movie thing is working so it really isn't a problem. But the biggest problem I am having is watching other people's movies. I do not know what kind of player you have working here and although I have downloaded the latest version of Quicktime that doesn't seem to do the trick either. So I have to download the movies which takes time and space. I don't have this problem with other sites that show videos.

#4 bengarrett1971

bengarrett1971

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:47 AM

Hi lucinda,

For movie playback I embed either the Windows Media Player plugin (for AVIs and WMVs) or the Quicktime plugin (for MOVs).

Downloading the movie file (and saving it to disk as a file) should take the same amount of time as downloading it into the player (in "internet" time), although of course it is a whole lot less convenient. I wonder why your WMP plugin isn't working...

What many sites do is to pre-process uploaded movies into their favourite format (e.g. flash) so that they play in their own custom player. We don't have the resources on our server to perform any such movie file processing at the moment.

Ben

#5 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

I don't know why the movie player doesn't work on this site for my computer and when I click on the link to upgrade to the latest version of the player it tells me it doesn't exist. But I can download all the movies and have no problem opening them in any player I choose although usually I use WMP. And it has been upgraded to the latest version. It might be my browser preferences. I use Netscape which I prefer to IE however the Firefox version of Netscape is buggy.

#6 bengarrett1971

bengarrett1971

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:35 PM

Hi there Lucinda,

I tried downloading Netscape (version 9.0), and have scoured the web for a WMP plugin for it - it's here: http://www.microsoft...n64/plugin.aspx

Unfortunately I haven't been able to try it out - it's isn't compatible with Windows Vista sad.gif

If you happen to try out Firefox, the WMP plugin for it is here: http://port25.techne...n-download.aspx

Ben